A Pill To Erase Painful Memories - Forever!

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Side Effects: Temporary loss of memory, Anxiety, Depression

See your doctor if these rare but serious side effects occur: Toughts of suicide, Night Terrors, Permanent Memory loss, Death

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I would like to erase the Vita from my head.
(Yes I went there)

Anyway with this pill you wouldn't be able to choose what memory you want erased.
I would rather a big machine with a built in touch screen which lets you add and delete things from your brain, maybe even defrag it so then it reads/writes faster :creep:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Every memory, even a painful one, is experience. It's been proven time and time again that people learn best from their own mistakes and sometimes a horrible memory is the only thing that keeps us from making the same mistake over and over again. People don't need Forget-About-It pills - the brain already has a repression system for overly drastic memories. In fact, psychoanalysis has been striving to uncover memories that were repressed. People who cannot cope with negative memories require professional help, not something that will help them forget.

I can see how this kind of a pill could be beneficial in extreme cases, such as pedophilia victims whose memories could shatter their further development, but then we have to consider that it's a two-edged sword - someone could commit a crime like this and use the pill to cover his tracks.

It would obviously be a particularily interesting intention and definitelly proof that we know more and more about how the brain works, but when you think about it, it's also somewhat scary, dangerous even.

Reactions: 1 person

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've had my fair share of painful experiences, hell, my whole childhood wasn't easy, so this pill that's meant to forget painful experiences would just erase what I went through all those years? Hell, that'd make me a different person and not who I am, suffering and getting depressed is part of human nature, it's what makes you human.. If something crappy happens in your life, and you just take a pill to forget it, then you'll never grow up and learn.
This is the most useless thing, in some extreme cases (like [censored], for example), I accept this, however, anything that isn't extreme and just makes you emo for a while, people just better learn to suck it up... I hope this pill is just an experiment on how they can deal with the memory factor of the brain, otherwise, they should just use the resources to find a cure for aids or whatever... Something actually useful.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You know, I would really really like this to make me forget everything about a great great series, like Harry Potter or Prison Break or so. That way I can rejoice the series as much as I want, with the twists and emotions that I had the first time I experienced them.
THAT is something I want!

But seeing this is just for traumatic experiences, I think it won't work for this goal?

Reactions: 2 people

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Ultymoo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I want to remove bad memories? No. Do I want to remove really bad and potentially self-detrimental or damaging memories? Definitely.

I'd also be for it if I didn't see government or criminals abusing it immediately. Exactly what would it remove? The bad feelings associated with those memories, or the account altogether? I don't think something like that should be able to be acquired by... oh, say, rapists and the like.

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Erasing memories is just bad, VERY BAD, this research litterally made me so furious, it's like playing for god. not only that, but i wouldn't want anyone's painful memories erased among my friends and family, heck, i even WANT to suffer, i want to engulf in pain to get out of it. because, from painful memories you'll change, and if you are prone to good changes like how i did, then you know this.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because every mistake and pain you or someone else cause you is %100 to shape who you are now?
Do you think erasing one mistake from like 10-15 years ago will have that much of a impact to change who you are?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because every mistake and pain you or someone else cause you is %100 to shape who you are now?
Every single experience in your life contributes to who you are, especially experiences from childhood. Removing a memory will leave a void behind.

Think of amnesia patients - no matter who they were before amnesia struck, their personalities become altered proportionally to how much memory they've lost.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Do you think erasing one mistake from like 10-15 years ago will have that much of a impact to change who you are?
Actually, it would have an impact... Believe it or not, a lot of things change you for life without you realising it, the brain isn't such an easy thing to manipulate, it's not like on a computer where all you need to do is find some files and erase them. Memories and personality are interwined, if you erase part of your memories, you'll erase part of who you are, especially the painful ones, there's a reason why you don't forget them, and it's a God damn good reason: they change you.

Edit: I was ninja'd. >.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'd rather erase some of my shameful memories, like the birthday party of my cousin when I was 7 years old -.- ...
7a5l.jpg

Yes, I had to post it, sue me. :P

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's meant for people who have gone through extreme things, i.e [censored]. Having been raped is a terrible experience, you don't want to remember it, and people are haunted by it for years. It's going to make their life way better without that memory. It's not meant for when your cat dies or something and you're sad, don't be an idiot.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's meant for people who have gone through extreme things, i.e [censored]. Having been raped is a terrible experience, you don't want to remember it, and people are haunted by it for years. It's going to make their life way better without that memory. It's not meant for when your cat dies or something and you're sad, don't be an idiot.

so are they also going to erase the memories of everyone that knows about it to? because it would really bother me if i had the feeling that everyone was hiding something from me like the fact that i got raped. not that i did, but you get my point. eventually you would find out again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over