Status
Not open for further replies.

A not so remembered game that means a lot to you.

temp_attic.jpg

Saying you played one of the top rated or top selling games on a given system as a kid is nothing too interesting; they tended to be top rated and selling for a reason. What we are here today to discuss is those games that you played because it was, say, the only thing you had, the only thing when visiting grandparents or just something you really latched onto. On a related note then in programming it is noted everybody programs well in their first language and usually spends all their time trying to make a new one behave like that, something similar is noted in games where mechanics of their earliest titles or those they spent time with inform how they feel about things going forward (why else do you think every indie platformer a few years back was a homage to NES Super Mario Brothers? Do you not imagine almost everything will be influenced by Minecraft before long when the 12 year olds of 2010 are now getting their first jobs in the game industry?).

My fondness for Talespin on the NES has been noted a few times before on the site, however as that is a Disney property made by Capcom (who also did most Disney things on the NES and most in turn are held up as outright classics) that does not play here. On the other hand

Stealth ATF for the NES

Not my first "3d" flight sim, Elite arguably being that one, but as the NES was my first console I could exclusively monopolise (the Commodore 64 actually came after for me) and this was one of the handful of games I had for it then it has informed a lot of how I approach flight sims, also now what I recognise as an early case of GPS syndrome as I would often follow the radar more than the screen itself (though real fighter pilots do that I am told).

Turbo Racing for the NES (Al Unser Jr.'s Turbo Racing in the US is something I just learned)

What would today be considered a by the numbers racer made by those paragons of quality, that being Data East, on the NES was equally one of the few NES titles I had. Light stats upgrades (today would be dubbed RPG elements), a little balance the turbo vs straight racing mechanic, some hills in the level, memories of a sore thumb from holding A for so long on the NES pad... barring the NES bit then if you said that I would think you were describing Road Rash, which was a far more influential series for me, but Turbo Racing never the less holds a place in my gaming makeup.

Despite it being several years since playing both of those, maybe decades since I played them an awful lot, I apparently could whistle the theme tunes/in mission tunes too. Can I do that for the last few games I reviewed? No.

What then are one or two of your fondly (or perhaps not so fondly) remembered games that, even on a site like this, you would be lucky to get more than a few people say "oh I remember that"? Why did you end up with them and did they cause you to either expect things in later games or avoid such things in the future?
We are accepting stupidly rare in your region; if basketball was your thing in Europe and you owned one of the 5 imported versions of a game that today litters the shelves of second hand game shops up and down the US then we will allow it. It need not be NES or older; if you only started gaming 5 years ago with a hand me down DS then feel free to share that too.

wiindsurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Atari 2600: Hero, Friday the 13th
NES: Little Nemo, Big Nose, Micro Machines, Snake Rattle n Roll, Tom n Jerry
SNES: Rock n Roll Racing, Faceball 2000, ActRaiser, Super Conflict

The first ones for each system being the most memorable...
Hero was super addictive, Nemo blew my mind, RnRR was pure multiplayer madness :)
I also remember feeling super frightened while playing Friday the 13th lol

Last edited by wiindsurf,

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Dreamcast Grandia II definitely! It was my first rpg and I'll always remember the charming music, characters and the history, pretty good memories ( and sad too) playing that game, it was a simple life

That game screwed over many people here in my country because the only pirated version had a crash at like 3/4 of the game.

AnimeIsDead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I know this is more than two but really wanted to share these awesome games.

Body Harvest (USA).png

An open world game where you're a soldier from the future trying to stop Aliens from harvesting humans.

BattleTanx (USA).png

In this game you use a tank to wreck other tanks.

LEGO Racers (USA) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Nl,Sv,No,Da,Fi).png

Cool Lego game where you can build your own race car from Legos.

Monster Rancher 2 (USA).png

Breeding game where you can raise monsters. Imo one of the best breeding games I've ever played.

Tomba! (USA).png

Pink haired boy fucking up pigs because they took his lunch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh and this one
Star Fox Adventures (USA) (v1.00).png

Beautiful game despite Miyamoto fucking it up by forcing Rare to add Fox.

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First thing to come to mind for me was Hotwheels: Turbo Racing on N64. When I was younger I was absolutely infatuated with Hotwheels cars. (I'm pretty sure my grandparents still have my enormous tub full of them somewhere..) To the point where I'm pretty sure I'd still play with them if I had someone who'd join me. My grandparents knew this, and for Christmas when I was 5 years old gave me an N64 with Hotwheels: Turbo Racing, Pokemon Stadium, Kirby: the Crystal Shards, and a few other games.

It was basically the first console I owned for myself, so I was absolutely enthralled to have it. Playing HWTR for the first time, the main thing that I thought about was seeing most of my favorite cars in a video game, racing around tracks at breakneck speeds. I eventually invited friends over to play, and we'd spend hours trying to figure out ways to get around tracks faster, unlock the hidden cars and tracks, discussing theories about the game at school.. Myself and my entire "group" of two friends were completely, and deeply in love with this game, and played it for years before ever moving on from it.

For the fact that not only was it one of my first games, but also the first game I got other people into, and delved into in such a deep way, sticking with it for so long, it has a dear place in my heart. I'll never forget the poorly-compressed, severely cut version of Metallica's "Fuel" I'd always set to play before a race. Ahh, memories.

Reactions: Ryccardo

ragestaker21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ROGUE GALAXY

3d281eaea50c0f197db41ed786a8b57f.jpg

it takes me back to the good old days
When my mom sang me to sleep but now im stressed out.

I care a lot about music, i love my piano and this game had many great songs, but one stands out because 'dis one is my briefing time music lmao ->

this is old school level-5 beitch'

Tokiri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Sword art Online: Hollow Realization.
I enjoyed it mainly because, while being a single player game, we discovered things and function as a small community back then at the PS Vita days.

Also it had those mystery feeling and things to be discovered as well, especially with the big patch. Unfortunatly though the game has not withstood the test of time.

KimKong

Game Developer / Graphic Artist / Musician
Trophies
Website
skrap-klan.itch.io
XP
Country
Norway
StarTropics on the NES

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizzards
on PC

Secret Agent Man on PC

All of these games really influenced me a lot as a young kid..

Reactions: m_babble

evil goober

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are a few of my favorite nes games.

Faxanadu
Monster Party
Nobunagas Ambition
Willow
Crystalis
Black Bass

Ajlr

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
The ports of Elevator Action and the Mario Bros arcade game, Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, and Genkitotsu Yonku Battle on the NES; the port of Mario is Missing on the SNES; Pokémon LeafGreen on the GBA; the port of Cars: Race-O-Rama on the PSP; and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time on the DS. GYB is a car game where you bump enemy cars to finish the level, collect flags for more points, unlock more powerful cars, and watch out for oil spills. It's only released in Japan though and I played it and those other NES games from a Chinese bootleg one.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One of the first games I actually remember renting was Vexx on. Let's just say it's so "not so remembered" that I can barely find pictures of the box art and for years I couldn't remember the name. Seriously, there are only a couple pictures on Google Images that are the actual box art. Apparently it's not regarded as very good, but an action heavy collect-a-thon platformer blew my 6-year-old mind.
Vexx GCN.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30