Hacking A new update tonight

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
There's still the hope that eventually when they get the funds for the decapping that the private key will be hidden in there and they'll be able to sign homebrew and flash carts as if they were legit and that won't really need ANY hack in the firmware ... but a firmware hack would be nice, too.

... anyway, something like that.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
you are assuming there won't be some kind of workaround. the xbox360 and the ps3 face a similar dilemma, but managed to overcome it.

when you hack the system, you make the rules, not nintendo
I think he means about getting a system hacked in the first place. If people try to play new games, they'll have to update before.

Reactions: reaper527

dehry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must not be familiar with the DSi Soduku Hax. Nintendo found the exploit and patched it. No other exploit was found and the DSi hacking scene withered on the vine. Any future 3DS models will also have the block in place. Animal Crossing, Pokemon, SMT IV, or a White 3DSXL? No hacks for you. They don't have access to the firmware, only certain functions which they are mapping out. They've even gone so far to encourage people not to update, signaling they don't have anything else to use at this point.

Even if you chose to not update and something actually comes of this, it requires you to use a save hack which means buying a retail game(still unknown and possibly getting rarer by the day if it's no longer in print) and then running it every time you want to start a homebrew program. There is not any way to make the hack permanent. Everyone is putting a lot of trust in a couple hackers that don't want piracy to release a rom loader or emulators to play older games.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
There's still the hope that eventually when they get the funds for the decapping that the private key will be hidden in there and they'll be able to sign homebrew and flash carts as if they were legit and that won't really need ANY hack in the firmware ... but a firmware hack would be nice, too.

... anyway, something like that.
Decapping would need to be done on every 3DS out there for such a tool to happen as I understand it. Software signing keys are unique for each 3DS.

Oh wait, I'm thinking about the eshop.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is putting a lot of trust in a couple hackers that don't want piracy to release a rom loader or emulators to play older games.
This. XD Which is why I'm telling people they're not losing anything as far as 3DS homebrew goes by updating. The guys said they weren't even going to release what they had anyways.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

dehry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This. XD Which is why I'm telling people they're not losing anything as far as 3DS homebrew goes by updating. The guys said they weren't even going to release what they had anyways.
They said they weren't planning on using the hack in any public code according to the IRC log, but that's still a good point.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
They said they weren't planning on using the hack in any public code according to the IRC log, but that's still a good point.
It's like I said a few pages back, what do they have by updating, and what do they have by not updating?

The same goddamned thing: absolutely nothing.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Decapping would need to be done on every 3DS out there for such a tool to happen as I understand it. Software signing keys are unique for each 3DS.
That would be the public key (to DEcrypt games) or even the separate key that's used by each 3DS to encrypt/decrypt its own internal flash memory.

There's also a key that only Nintendo has and probably any developer who's signed a contract with them as well. It's the key that's used to CREATE the game in the first place (at the point when they don't know which cart is going to be bought and used on which 3DS.). It's what makes a game look legit when it's put together in the factory.

If it's done right that shouldn't need to be in the 3DS itself at all. BUT if it's NOT done right *cough* Wii *cough* they might have just stored that in the processor in such a way that you can't usually get at .. without a decap.

If you're LUCKY, something like that might be found in a decap.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
It's like I said a few pages back, what do they have by updating, and what do they have by not updating?

The same goddamned thing: absolutely nothing.
When I talked to them, they pointed out that they weren't sure what else the update changed, so I should wait to update unless I need access to the eShop. That was awhile ago though, so it may not still apply.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
When I talked to them, they pointed out that they weren't sure what else the update changed, so I should wait to update unless I need access to the eShop. That was awhile ago though, so it may not still apply.
Judging from the updates, they at least confirmed all the module changes as of a few days ago.

EthanObi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maintenance usually means they are preparing for an update.. Im peppering my angus here!
I read that as "I'm preparing my anus here!"
Ontopic: Remember guys, eventually you'll be forced to update if you want to keep with the times (Especially when Pokemon X/Y comes out, I can guarantee there will be atleast 7 or 8 updates before october.)

srandy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There is gonna be a new update tonight beware

well my flash card is A DSTWO Super Card

Well I be ok ? after I update Yes /No

I just tried to use the Nintendo Shop, and it came up with 'There is a system update available'.
My current system is 4.5.0-10E, running on a DSTWO Super Card

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, considering that all we got was some cam photo of "we hacked it!" without any rhyme, reason or explanation, I can't say I'm all that surprised, or anticipating of any homebrew.

I would like to see some true 3DS-mode homebrew, but if the people finding the sploits won't ever release anything, it's rather of little use if it gets patched out of the firmware before they do so.
Hmmm, there's a problem with "making true 3DS-Homebrew". Firstly, you can't do crap when you don't know what's going on inside the system's code and how programs run and work and how to call certain functions. They can't release the exploit to the mass public and probably to barely anyone else besides themselves due to the fact that the chance they have to access the kernel or even just ROP access would quickly disappear (the save exploit can easily be patched if it got released for download) or get distributed to people that wouldn't exactly have their same interests (Chinese hackers who want to make a lot of money, PS3 style). It's only been until a bit recently that they've had a more detailed look at how the GFX work on the 3DS, some of its system calls, and how a game may run, but we still don't have everything. Just look at the GPU page, there are still some things we don't exactly know what they do or how they work. Right now, they probably could make a small little application and do something simple, but nothing super fancy. Of course, they are probably too busy actually working on documentation and making a foundation to work up :rolleyes:

Reactions: Syphurith

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
There's also a key that only Nintendo has and probably any developer who's signed a contract with them as well. It's the key that's used to CREATE the game in the first place (at the point when they don't know which cart is going to be bought and used on which 3DS.). It's what makes a game look legit when it's put together in the factory.
As far as I know, only Nintendo has this key. They don't give it to any other developers, as it might leak. Developers have to send their code to Nintendo for Nintendo to sign.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I read that as "I'm preparing my anus here!"
Ontopic: Remember guys, eventually you'll be forced to update if you want to keep with the times (Especially when Pokemon X/Y comes out, I can guarantee there will be atleast 7 or 8 updates before october.)

If you foresee 7 or 8 updates, you got a good start. 5.1.0-11U is already here.

Metab.

Check my signature for the latest news on the 3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
I just tried to use the Nintendo Shop, and it came up with 'There is a system update available'.
My current system is 4.5.0-10E, running on a DSTWO Super Card
Read my update thread on update 5.1.0-11.
You can still use your card, and nothing will come out off the current small exploits so you may aswell update.
Supercard DSTWO will work fine on the updated firmware.

Metab.

Check my signature for the latest news on the 3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
I own the DSTWO can I update ?
I get info hear I was at my grandmothers for 4 days before this came out
Read my thread on the latest update (5.1.0-11)
Long story short its been tested and worked fine. Update away.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: brb