A little help please?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by mew512, Jan 27, 2010.

1. mew512
    OP

mew512 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2009
    United States
    england
    I am a teenager and want to buy a new computer but not sure what to get i know about the higher the value in ghz the faster the processor and the more ram tha more programs can run i think but i need one for just surfing the web and downloading (everything really music, sometimes videos and with storage maybe some wii games) but i dont want to get a new one thats really expensive so are either of these a good choice

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Dell-...55/product.html
    http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/IBM-8...81/product.html

i know the first one has a lot less storage but i can handle that so which one do you think i should get (im only getting a refurbished one because i never have money because im a teenager im looking for a paper ro8nd but my parents never let me get money so if you know a better computer for a better price please post a link)

thank you in advance to any responses [​IMG]

2. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    Not necessarily. It's futile to compare different processors based on the amount of gigahertz.

Anyways, both of those computers are crap. Can you increase your budget? How about $600? If you're going to play Wii games (Dolphin) on the computer you'll need a way better computer then that. A better processor. I should also advise against purchasing refurbished computers. They tend to have a lot of problems and sometimes are already plagued with problems. Try to purchase a new one. Are you able to build a computer? You can build a decent/somewhat good computer for $500.

3. mew512
    OP

mew512 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2009
    United States
    england
    well i live in the Uk so i think the most i can spend is £250 i am only a teenager so i dont have a lot of money i just wanted to know how much i can spend and i only want to download wii games not play but thanks for the help

4. Scorpei

Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 21, 2006
    Netherlands
    Next time try to make a better topic title please [​IMG] . As for what you're looking for, I'm totally not into prices or markets in the UK. I assume 250 pounds is roughly 350-400 euro's. Especially if you aren't going to do a lot of gaming you should be able to get much better machine's for that amount of cash, non refurbished.. More along the lines of a basic core 2 duo (say somewhere around 1,8Ghz, dual core?) with 2-4gigs ram and 350gb HD space or something along those lines.

(quick price guage for as far as my memory still matches current prices [​IMG]):
    CPU core 2 duo 1,8GHz ~ 60-70 euro's (or AMD Athlon II X2 250, roughly the same price)
    Mobo (mATX gigabyte or something with built in grafics) ~ 50-60 euro's
    4 gigs ram ~ 70 euro's (DDR2 got expensive...)
    Case ~ 60 euro's
    PSU ~ 50 euro's
    HD 1 terabyte ~ 50 euro's

Which ends up to being around 350 euro's (though that is self built of course, a prebuilt system easily adds 70-100 euro's to the price sadly).

5. Berthenk

Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

May 16, 2008
    Netherlands
    You should go for the Tweakers.Net Budget/Basic System...

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core, 2.8 GHz
    AOpen ES45F Black
    Asus M2A74-AM SE
    OCZ Value OCZ2V8002G, 1X2 Gigabyte or 2X2 Gigabyte
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS, 500GB.
    Sony AD-7240S
    Around 270 euro's in the Netherlands!
    OS is pretty easy to find, so you don't need to pay for that if you don't want to... [​IMG]