Hacking A happy R4 user should get one??

Gand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm a happy R4 user. All the games I want to play are playable with it.

But I keep hearing that the R4 is dead and that I should buy another card. My neighbour is one of those!!!

He has a new DSTT and is always telling me that my card is dead and should buy a new one, but except for the SDHC i cannot see any reason to change.

Please tell me WHY should I have to change??

zardoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If all the games / homebrew you want to use run perfectly, then ignore him!

If they don't, get a DSTT as well. Use each for their allotted purpose and ignore any "my cart is better than your cart" crap.

Regards,
Z.

Gand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swip said:
You can run YSMenu on your R4 which uses the DSTT loader.

If you use that moving over to the DSTT, it won't give you any advantages other than SDHC support.

That's what I thought, that I had any advantages (my neighbourg didn't give me one). He only tell me that my card is dead and old.

Thanks for the replies. Still I don't know what improvements YSMenu have against R4.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Gand said:
Swip said:
You can run YSMenu on your R4 which uses the DSTT loader.

If you use that moving over to the DSTT, it won't give you any advantages other than SDHC support.

That's what I thought, that I had any advantages (my neighbourg didn't give me one). He only tell me that my card is dead and old.

Thanks for the replies. Still I don't know what improvements YSMenu have against R4.

The DSTT is 10 bucks, SDHC support, and has a REAL team actually gives it firmware updates for game fixes rather quickly.

If you're satisfied with the R4, and don't have any problems with few of the newer games, then there's no point for the change. But if your R4 suddenly dies, never EVER get another R4.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
YSmenu is based on TTDS firmware The only disadvantage of using it with an original R4 is no SDHC if you can live with a 2gb limit to your mem card then it should be fine
smile.gif

you can even have both on there and set it to boot instead of moonshell as the middle button of the R4 menu ... you can still use moonshell you just have to launch it like a game
smile.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The main advantage of YSMenu would be that it autopatches GBA games to a slot 2 device without the need to use GBA ExpLoader, and it will autopatch the browser. It also has a few other features that the R4 official firmware doesn't have.

Also, it is possible that the use of YSMenu with a future version of the DSTT firmware on the R4 will destroy the R4 (DSTT has threatened to add a program to their firmware that will kill other carts running DSTT firmware).

If you want to use microSD cards larger than 4GB, you would need a different cart. The R4 doesn't support SDHC.

Although the DSTT is only $12 at the moment (without a microSD reader), there are other flash carts that are about $10 more expensive that are much better. The Acekard 2, the Edge, or the SCDS1 would all be better choices than the DSTT for most people.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @bassviolet, why is sammy an egg?