Hacking A few questions before buying...

trixster90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Firstly I'm Sorry if I’m repeating others. I have tried Google and GBAtemp’s search function but couldn't get the exact info I want. Since its so time consuming and confusing I figured I would simply ask you guys directly instead.

At the moment I’m still using an old DS Lite with a M3 simply card, however the times they are a changing and I’m interested in buying an 3DS XL and a r4i gold 3ds deluxe during the holiday season. With all the information floating about it would really help me out if a forum regular would go over some things and make sure I don’t make any costly mistakes.

1.TECH: previously with the DS lite, rom playing required a console, hack card and sd card/reader ,is more hardware needed in this new generation? I remember reading somewhere each game required separate SD card(s) is that still correct? Is it being worked on?

2.FIRMWARE: from what I have read from previous posts I gather I need a console running on firmware 4.5 or lower . I have read about “firmware spoofing” but I’m not entirely sure what it is… if anyone could explain that would be great. Can games which require firmware installations higher than this be played yet on the card I wish to buy?

3.PURCHASING: are there any reputable sellers in the UK? Would you recommend any stores in particular? (free shipping ect would be a bonus)

4.OPINIONS: is now the best time to buy? Is the available software/hardware at a point where you would consider it stable enough or should I wait it out for another few months? Is there anything better on the horizon?

I would really appreciate some input guys.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
2 FIRMWARE : firmware spoofing is where you can play 5.0 plus games on 4.5 or lower 3DS's

3 PURCHASING : if you want to purchase a 3ds with 4.5 or lower you need to search ebay or be lucky and if a 2012 or something...

4. OPINIONS you should have got a 3DS late 2012 or early 2013 and followed the scene and knew not to update pass 4.5

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
1: yes you need 1 micro sd card for each rom you want to play, or you erase that micro sd card each time you want to play another rom, but this is currently working on so you can have multiple roms on 1 micro sd card

2, you need a 4.1-4.5 console for the current cards work, firmware spoof is an option after you use the card on a 4.x console so you can access the online store and recent retail games

4: i always say its better to wait, personally, i don't think it worths buy a 3ds card now... but its up to you

Reactions: trixster90

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. The R4i Gold comes with 2 cards: One is basically just a DS flashcart that uses a modded version of the WoodR4 firmware that you will download and put on a micro SD card. This is so you can install the exploit directly to the 3DS (although I am told you can use any DS flashcard that is supported by your 3DS.) Once you have installed the exploit, you should never have to do it again. The other is the actual 3DS flashcart that you will be playing your games from. At the moment you can only have 1 game per SD card and you have to actually write the rom to the card using an imaging program... same way you would make a bootable flash drive. Gateway has said they are almost ready to go into internal beta testing of their "FAT32, drag-and-drop, multirom support"... basically you will be able to just copy the roms directly to the card as you would with any modern DS flashcart and run them from a GUI. Thats my guess anyway.

2. Firmware spoofing basically hides what version of firmware you are running on which prevents games from requiring you to update to a later firmware in order to play.

3. I tried searching around and found this site: http://www.digimartz.com/r4i-gold-3...ds-games-with-r4i-gold-3ds-starter_p1215.html

I know nothing about this site, so be careful but it's a good place to start. I googled "r4i gold 3ds deluxe" uk reseller

4. This is a hard question to answer because no one knows what is going to happen. It is still pretty early in the 3DS hacking scene and there could always be new discoveries. I would say it's a bit of a gamble at the moment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Time to just download more ram