8BitDo is releasing their tiny Zero 2 controller at the end of next month, will work on the Switch

d99e0ed0-3626-4cda-a188-09030987e4a2.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

You might recall that around three years ago, 8BitDo released a cute, tiny controller, barely larger than the size of a coin. Touted for usage with mobile devices, it worked well as a hyper-portable gamepad for quick gaming sessions. Not that long after, 8BitDo announced a successor, in the form of the Zero 2, at E3 2018. It's been a while, but the company is finally ready to release their new controller, which is slated to ship out on the last day of the year--December 31st--for the price of $19.99. This time around, the controller will work on the Nintendo Switch, and will come in light blue and bright yellow, to match the Nintendo Switch Lite, along with a pink variation. If you don't have a Switch, it'll still work on PC or mobile, through Bluetooth.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

I reckon this'll actually be really good for retro games on PC/Raspberry Pi, definitely not bad for that price point!

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've got the zero, wanted to order the zero2 last year but it wasn't available before christmas...
But I might actually pick one up if it actually does come available.

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind, this is a very different Zero 2 than the one that was shown off at E3 2018; that one had GBP colors, type-C charging (EDIT: planned, the actual one shown at E3 used micro) and motion controls. This has Switch Lite colors, micro USB charging and the motion controls are gone, with the controller being less than half as heavy with half the battery life.

Last edited by FateForWindows,

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Keep in mind, this is a very different Zero 2 than the one that was shown off at E3 2018; that one had GBP colors, type-C charging and motion controls. This has Switch Lite colors, micro USB charging and the motion controls are gone, with the controller being less than half as heavy with half the battery life.
Hmmm, bastards.

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just emailed them about this recently, I've been waiting for a perfect pocket controller!

If they've figured out syncing with the switch I'd consider using them. I have so much trouble with my sne30 pros.

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Damn my bad fate&luck....i bought the last month Ipega PG-9085...the most tiny controller of their products.

I wish see this notice the last month,so my choose controller will be the 8bit controller of this notice.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

You might recall that around three years ago, 8BitDo released a cute, tiny controller, barely larger than the size of a coin. Touted for usage with mobile devices, it worked well as a hyper-portable gamepad for quick gaming sessions. Not that long after, 8BitDo announced a successor, in the form of the Zero 2, at E3 2018. It's been a while, but the company is finally ready to release their new controller, which is slated to ship out on the last day of the year--December 31st--for the price of $19.99. This time around, the controller will work on the Nintendo Switch, and will come in light blue and bright yellow, to match the Nintendo Switch Lite, along with a pink variation. If you don't have a Switch, it'll still work on PC or mobile, through Bluetooth.

:arrow: Source
It was quite a bit larger than a coin, actually :P
I have a similar controller that was originally a kickstarter (the Impulse Controller), designed to be a keychain controller that you would always have with you. I just found it a bit too small and the buttons a bit too close together for my fat hands, so I didn't end up using it much.
I expect I would have the same problem with this controller. It's probably good for people with small hands, but if you have big hands, I would say don't even bother buying one :P
It seems like the kind of thing you'd leave in your pouch for if you're on the go and someone wants to play with you so you don't have to both use single JoyCons. At least, for games that are designed for D-Pad it would probably work nicely for that. Not something you'd use at home though, since you have better controllers at home. So probably wouldn't end up used that much.
Wait, how come this only lasts 8 hours as opposed to the old model's 20?
Cheaped out hard on the battery, no doubt.
With the kind of usage this is best for; keeping it in your pouch, as an alternative to single JoyCons for multiplayer, here you get a proper D-Pad which is good for games like Blaster Master Zero or Super Bomberman R - 8 hours is really not great. On one hand it probably won't be used that much because you have better controllers to use at home, but on the other hand, if you leave it in the pouch you'll forget to charge it and it'll be dead when you finally need it. Then again the JoyCons discharge really quickly when not in use too despite their 20 hr battery life. 100% guaranteed that when I need my second JoyCon pair they'll be dead. It happens every single time. Only takes a few months for them to discharge themselves completely. That's why I bought a charging grip for them so they can at least be used when they are out of battery.
20 hours is surprisingly good for such a small thing. Maybe they were trying to make it lighter, it might not just be that they cheaped out. But I think most would rather prefer a better battery life at the cost of a slightly heavier unit. Not like it weighs more than an average keychain anyway, or a wallet full of change, and people walk around with those in their pockets all the time just fine.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1