8BitDo is releasing their tiny Zero 2 controller at the end of next month, will work on the Switch

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 26, 2019.

Front-page
    d99e0ed0-3626-4cda-a188-09030987e4a2.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

You might recall that around three years ago, 8BitDo released a cute, tiny controller, barely larger than the size of a coin. Touted for usage with mobile devices, it worked well as a hyper-portable gamepad for quick gaming sessions. Not that long after, 8BitDo announced a successor, in the form of the Zero 2, at E3 2018. It's been a while, but the company is finally ready to release their new controller, which is slated to ship out on the last day of the year--December 31st--for the price of $19.99. This time around, the controller will work on the Nintendo Switch, and will come in light blue and bright yellow, to match the Nintendo Switch Lite, along with a pink variation. If you don't have a Switch, it'll still work on PC or mobile, through Bluetooth.

:arrow: Source

HylianBran, Eix, SonyUSA and 3 others like this.
    Discussion (19 replies)
  1. ninjistix

ninjistix GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2016
    United States
    I need one of these so I can play Emulators at work without being too obvious. too bad there isn't a black version, maybe i can get it take it apart and paint it.

MAXLEMPIRA and CallmeBerto like this.
  2. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    I reckon this'll actually be really good for retro games on PC/Raspberry Pi, definitely not bad for that price point!

3. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2015
    Poland
    Somewhere
    They produce good controllers - I have SN30 Pro and it is awesome.

eskinner3742 likes this.
  4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Why don't they ever make the grey color for the Switch Lite? They only make the teal and yellow, but never the grey.

5. zxr750j

zxr750j GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2003
    Netherlands
    Uuuuu
    I've got the zero, wanted to order the zero2 last year but it wasn't available before christmas...
    But I might actually pick one up if it actually does come available.

6. FateForWindows

FateForWindows GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 8, 2017
    United States
    Keep in mind, this is a very different Zero 2 than the one that was shown off at E3 2018; that one had GBP colors, type-C charging (EDIT: planned, the actual one shown at E3 used micro) and motion controls. This has Switch Lite colors, micro USB charging and the motion controls are gone, with the controller being less than half as heavy with half the battery life.

Last edited by FateForWindows, Nov 26, 2019
  7. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola GBAtemp Fan

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    People with small hands don't deserve controllers. Where is the Duke for the Switch?

8. zxr750j

zxr750j GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2003
    Netherlands
    Uuuuu
    Hmmm, bastards.

9. Dax_Fame

Dax_Fame Annoying Member

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Mom's house
    I just emailed them about this recently, I've been waiting for a perfect pocket controller!

If they've figured out syncing with the switch I'd consider using them. I have so much trouble with my sne30 pros.

10. Username4321

Username4321 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2018
    Brazil
    Wait, how come this only lasts 8 hours as opposed to the old model's 20?

11. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2018
    United States
    No thanks!

MrCokeacola likes this.
  12. SatoXR

SatoXR Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2019
    Puerto Rico
    This is perfect for my 5 year old. He has trouble holding the controller comfortably

MrCokeacola likes this.
  13. JaNDeRPeiCH

JaNDeRPeiCH Member

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2019
    Mexico
    Unknown
    Damn my bad fate&luck....i bought the last month Ipega PG-9085...the most tiny controller of their products.

I wish see this notice the last month,so my choose controller will be the 8bit controller of this notice.

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It was quite a bit larger than a coin, actually :P
    I have a similar controller that was originally a kickstarter (the Impulse Controller), designed to be a keychain controller that you would always have with you. I just found it a bit too small and the buttons a bit too close together for my fat hands, so I didn't end up using it much.
    I expect I would have the same problem with this controller. It's probably good for people with small hands, but if you have big hands, I would say don't even bother buying one :P
    It seems like the kind of thing you'd leave in your pouch for if you're on the go and someone wants to play with you so you don't have to both use single JoyCons. At least, for games that are designed for D-Pad it would probably work nicely for that. Not something you'd use at home though, since you have better controllers at home. So probably wouldn't end up used that much.
    Cheaped out hard on the battery, no doubt.
    With the kind of usage this is best for; keeping it in your pouch, as an alternative to single JoyCons for multiplayer, here you get a proper D-Pad which is good for games like Blaster Master Zero or Super Bomberman R - 8 hours is really not great. On one hand it probably won't be used that much because you have better controllers to use at home, but on the other hand, if you leave it in the pouch you'll forget to charge it and it'll be dead when you finally need it. Then again the JoyCons discharge really quickly when not in use too despite their 20 hr battery life. 100% guaranteed that when I need my second JoyCon pair they'll be dead. It happens every single time. Only takes a few months for them to discharge themselves completely. That's why I bought a charging grip for them so they can at least be used when they are out of battery.
    20 hours is surprisingly good for such a small thing. Maybe they were trying to make it lighter, it might not just be that they cheaped out. But I think most would rather prefer a better battery life at the cost of a slightly heavier unit. Not like it weighs more than an average keychain anyway, or a wallet full of change, and people walk around with those in their pockets all the time just fine.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Nov 27, 2019
  15. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker GBAtemp's "Official" Wii Rock Band Hacker

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    Right here on good ol' planet Earth!
    I need one. As in really bad. :P

16. SonyUSA

SonyUSA We're all mad here

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    SonyUSA is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 12, 2006
    United States
    GBAtemp reviews Zero 2... :ph34r:

Ericthegreat likes this.
  17. Sharinflan

Sharinflan

Jan 2, 2016
    Portugal
    The lack of replies mentioning best girl disappoints me.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

18. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Shouldn't be too hard, maybe wait for a teardown if you want to be sure.

19. Tortuguin

Tortuguin Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2019
    Mexico
    Would be better to play emulators on that controller than to carry around a bigger cotroller.