'Commandos 2 - HD Remaster' releases on the Nintendo Switch this week

commandos switch.PNG

Despite being a fan of the Commandos series from its days on the PC, somehow I missed the news that an HD remaster of Commandos 2 was coming to the Switch; and as soon as this week! I haven't heard much talk around this remaster either, but it came to my attention following a press release today which linked to a brand-new trailer:

Relive the real-time tactics masterpiece that defined the genre like no other: Originally developed by the legendary Pyro Studios, Commandos 2 - HD Remaster is a true homage to one of gaming’s most celebrated masterpieces. Experience Commandos 2 Men of Courage like never before in high definition with reworked controls, UI and tutorial. Take control of an elite group of commandos who must venture deep into enemy territory and utilize their combined expertise to complete a series of notoriously demanding missions set in World War II. Go covert into various environments based on authentic World War II locations and lead your team of commandos against overwhelming odds, operate covertly and turn the tide of war.

Key features of the game include:
  • Every tutorial and campaign mission revamped with reworked controls and modernised UI

• Access authentic WWII vehicles, scenarios and weaponry such as tanks and bazookas

• 10 missions spanning 9 day/night environments, all with realistic weather effects

• Steal, climb and swim to accomplish missions within fully interactive environments

• Play as an eclectic cast of characters, including Green Beret, Sniper and Whiskey the dog

• Experiment with skills and approaches in challenging, against-the-odds style gameplay
It's quite a nice surprise personally as I have fond memories playing Behind Enemy Lines with my brother over a decade ago on our home PC. While this particular game isn't the one coming to the Switch, I hope it will but I'll contend myself with Commandos 2 - HD Remaster in the meantime. For those unfamiliar with the series, it gives you control over a group of commandos with abilities of their own (sniper, disguise, and the like) tasked to infiltrate enemy territory and complete risky missions. The stealth and tactical elements involved are personal highlights and I look forward to how the gameplay holds up all those years later.

This remaster is said to have been optimised to support both the Nintendo Switch Joy-Con and Pro Controller. I also hope it supports touch-screen controls given the point-and-click aspect of the original games.

Commandos 2 – HD Remaster will launch on 4th December, 2020 for the Nintendo Switch. A 10% pre-order discount is available until launch via Nintendo eShop.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

D

Deleted User

Finally, a worthy remaster of a deserving game.

From Steam:
> ALL REVIEWS: Mixed (1,201)
> 52% of the 1,201 user reviews for this game are positive.

...so nope, not a worthy remaster. I highly doubt they somehow manage to fix this on Switch.

Last edited by ,

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
From Steam:

...so nope, not a worthy remaster. I highly doubt they somehow manage to fix this on Switch.
So, the steam reviewers at large are braidead. What else is new?

Edit:
And the reviews for the original game are way better. I was unaware the remaster was launched already. O.o

Last edited by eyeliner,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From Steam:

I didn't like the one on PC. Have higher expectation on switch. Hopefully it is a good one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Another old title ported, is this what nintendo ment by better support..... more old shit.
and there is the word Retro in you screen name?

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't like the one on PC. Have higher expectation on switch. Hopefully it is a good one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

and there is the word Retro in you screen name?
Yes rerro as in the original console, not buy a new console to play what i already own...... durp

D

Deleted User

Yes and no. I would say Steam reviews are always way too generous with terrible games.

But if the amount of positive reviews reviews are under 75%, one should be cautious. If all the negative reviews think the game is a shitty port, buggy or something else, then it also probably is. They are not that braindead. Even less with rereleases or remasters of old games, since the target audience is a little more mature than ignorant children.

eyeliner

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes and no. I would say Steam reviews are always way too generous with terrible games.

But if the amount of positive reviews reviews are under 75%, one should be cautious. If all the negative reviews think the game is a shitty port, buggy or something else, then it also probably is. They are not that braindead. Even less with rereleases or remasters of old games, since the target audience is a little more mature than ignorant children.
Without context, I was under the impression those reviews were for the classic game. But they are not.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Edit:
And the reviews for the original game are way better. I was unaware the remaster was launched already. O.o
Sorry, but that's a pretty meager defense. Have you even glanced at the actual user reviews? This isn't a trolling attempt or overblown complaints about details, but a repeated notion of serious issues with the game. Heck...even the positive reviews admit that they love it DESPITE it being a bugfest.

Oh, and for what it's worth: the remaster originally came out on steam on January 24th. It's a bit late to file this under "a bad launch".

Don't get me wrong: it certainly is a classic, and certainly worthy of a decent remaster. But that doesn't automatically mean the actual updated game lives up to it.
Or even to the original (the store page has some comparison gifs. I can barely tell the difference).

EDIT: was ninja'ed...nevermind this post, please.

Last edited by Taleweaver,

eyeliner

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Sorry, but that's a pretty meager defense. Have you even glanced at the actual user reviews? This isn't a trolling attempt or overblown complaints about details, but a repeated notion of serious issues with the game. Heck...even the positive reviews admit that they love it DESPITE it being a bugfest.

Oh, and for what it's worth: the remaster originally came out on steam on January 24th. It's a bit late to file this under "a bad launch".

Don't get me wrong: it certainly is a classic, and certainly worthy of a decent remaster. But that doesn't automatically mean the actual updated game lives up to it.
Or even to the original (the store page has some comparison gifs. I can barely tell the difference).
The post above. I reiterate my failure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1