Hacking $80 Gateway card worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

genxor

Trophies
XP
Country
First gen cards are usually pretty.. um.. crap.

I'll wait a while for it to be cloned and improved upon.

Lestworth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still don't see how it's "yes" when there's been no review on here. Am I the only hardcore skeptic? lol People fool themselves into believing anything they truly want to be real.

Really, at least wait for Devin to get his sample.

Of course anyone should wait for some hard evidence, even with current news that it does work. We all want a reliable source before people throw money at their screens yelling for it, but again, thats not what the question was. It seems your confusing people such as myself who are arguing this as people that want to leave burn marks on their credit card as they swipe it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
PS3, 360, etc. say hi. It takes time and new hacks to get newer games working, online isn't safe, you need to keep your firmware low, etc.

I'm going to say what people have been saying the whole thread: Cheap flash carts for the DS have people spoiled. This is how shit NORMALLY works.

Yyyyep. Flashcarts and other backup devices have always been crazy-expensive, it's just that the R4 design has been cloned so many times it's not even funny and it caused so much competition on the market that manufacturers began fighting the price wars.

Have a look at the prices of flashcarts for legacy systems, people - dishing out $80+ for a flashcart is pretty much a given and some solutions surpass that amount by a lot. Your average EverDrive card is $80, and that's without a casing and without the shipping, and that kind of a price tag would still be considered relatively low in the context of old GBA and DS solutions.

EZ-Flash back in the day? $120-$130. Want to play some DS games? Add the price of a PassMe to that, meaning $20-$30 for the adapter plus the price of one compatible retail game. All in all, you were lucky to get a working kit for $200, all expenses included, $80 is nothing to huff and puff about, really.

Reactions: Ryukouki

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
LOL I think I said the exact same thing earlier, sans the flashcart names and all that. ;P
Oh? Well, sorry for doing the echo's job then - I haven't read through the whole thread. :P That being said, I'm glad that we agree.

...I also like how people find the price tag in conjunction with the "one game at a time" thing "inconvenient" when for all intents and purposes it's just drag-and-drop - at least you don't need to patch anything, people! :P That, and "free games" are not a huge inconvenience, even if one per SD card (which is something the team's going to work on anyways).

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sooooort of, I guess. But hey, I do completely agree that we shouldn't make hasty judgments (it's still gonna happen anyway :rofl:) until Devin or someone else reliable gets a sample and does a thorough analysis of it. :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Man-with-Half-head-3.jpg
Ewewewewewewewewew.

Reactions: DiabloStorm

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
If generic games retail outlet said to you , "buy two 3DS games and you get your next 98 for free" (albeit DLC and no packaging) you would bit their hands off.

GregoryRasputin

The PS3 Scenes Most Hated Person
Banned
Trophies
Website
playstationhax.it
XP
Country
Are you going to wait for an all-in-one clone with better features or gamble on the Gateway card with limited functions?

Hell no, it is not worth it and neither is anything garyOPA associates himself with, you can be guaranteed that it is over priced junk.
Wait for a clone from a company that doesn't see the end users as morons, these Gateway creators see the pitiful desperation of 3DS pirates and see an opportunity to rake the profits.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hell no, it is not worth it and neither is anything garyOPA associates himself with, you can be guaranteed that it is over priced junk.
Wait for a clone from a company that doesn't see the end users as morons, these Gateway creators see the pitiful desperation of 3DS pirates and see an opportunity to rake the profits.
AKA they want to make money off their product? How evil.

GregoryRasputin

The PS3 Scenes Most Hated Person
Banned
Trophies
Website
playstationhax.it
XP
Country
AKA they want to make money off their product? How evil.

The problem is most of the time, the original code is not theirs, also the product is over priced.
The reason these products are coming with such high prices, is because they see the dumb f*cks a mile off, the more idiots pay these type of prices, the higher in price they will become.
But why should i care, let the sheep follow their masters around like the fools they are :)

Reactions: McHaggis

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks awesome, but for 80$ no thanks. I'll wait for the kinks to be worked out, and the price to drop. Chances are the thing will just get firmware blocked nearly instantly, and I play too much stuff online.

Plus, I'm still sad at lack of other region gameplay, theres so many Japanese games I want to play.

This thing would just end up like the R4iGold I brought that barely got played, then got blocked due to that firmware issue involving various Icons. Just a waste of money

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The problem is most of the time, the original code is not theirs, also the product is over priced.
The reason these products are coming with such high prices, is because they see the dumb f*cks a mile off, the more idiots pay these type of prices, the higher in price they will become.
But why should i care, let the sheep follow their masters around like the fools they are :)
The original code as in the games it allows you to pirate? Those aren't theirs, of course, but this is the first cart of it's kind. There is no code or hardware to copy, which means they most likely made it themselves. Also, like others already said, piracy devices tend to be expensive. The only reason things like R4s are so cheap is that they got cloned to hell and the cloners kept selling it for cheaper, driving the prices down. Console hardmods/flashcarts tend to lie in the >50$ price range. Besides, if you buy this device and it prevents you from buying two games for whatever reason, it has earned it's money back.

Metab.

Check my signature for the latest news on the 3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
What if no clone can be made?
Consider that..

OscarRamos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I messaged the R4i team in hope of a response to see if they were going to do something similar to the gateway-3ds, but they never replied back :(

Slave

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
80$ for the card
+ lets say about 20$ for the SD Card

100$ to play 3DS games...
3DS games sells for about 40$ (most are already 20$)

the flash card becomes profitable at the 3rd (or 5th) game you play

cant transfer saves so you NEED to complete each games before you play another one... kinda beat the purpose of having a flash card but ok...

Cant play other region games render this flash card almost useless since there arent too many 3DS games that I really want to play here in america (and most of which are now in bargain bins at about 20$) as opposed Europe or Japan... which has interesting games that I want to try out.

Not worth it IMO.

wait for a better card...

this one will come out... other better teams will reverse engineer that card and see how they pulled their trick to make it work, then they'll make a much better card with much more options and affordable price...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.psx-place.com/threads/n64-emulator-ps3-poc-wii64-port-by-emukidid-surfaces-9-years-af...