Hacking 8.1.0 3DS softmod?

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Heya'll,

A friend of mine has a 8.1.0 3DS, and wants to softmod it.

What is the best course of action here?
I have a Gateway and 4.4 3DS, and a (R4i)Save Dongle reader for DS/3DS games.

Is is possible to downgrade/hack the 3DS on 8.1.0, or must it really be on 9.0/9.1/9.2?
It isn't clear to whether the Zelda OOT exploit will enable EmuNand on any FW (below 9.2?) or how to downgrade from 8.1.0 without upgrading, if possible.

On that note, it is possible to load EmuNand without a GateWay atm, right?

The reason for the need of a softmod is for a free way of playing game backups, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Adr

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is is possible to downgrade/hack the 3DS on 8.1.0, or must it really be on 9.0/9.1/9.2?

On that note, it is possible to load EmuNand without a GateWay atm, right?

Assuming it's a 3DS (not New and not 2DS), you're covered!

Downgrade 8.1 to 4.x (yes, you can use GW downgrader without any flashcard, launched via browser) and, I guess, install CFW!
To run emunand without Gateway, use MT launcher (doesn't support 9.5 well, though) !

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Assuming it's a 3DS (not New and not 2DS), you're covered!

Downgrade 8.1 to 4.x (yes, you can use GW downgrader without any flashcard, launched via browser) and, I guess, install CFW!
To run emunand without Gateway, use MT launcher (doesn't support 9.5 well, though) !

Could use RxTools instead of MT's classic mode. It doesn't have the language issues.

Adr990

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Great to hear that downgrading is just possible via the Browser, even on 8.1.0!

EmuNand would be preferable, because it would be safer for the console...
But if a CFW on the SysNand has better support for games, and a new one is easy to install, that would be a better way to go in the end, for this purpose.

Any CFW's that shine out above the others?

Or are there even any games that require a FW higher than 8.1.0? (Other than MH4/MM)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
there is only the 1 cfw (that plays roms for free) and various basic mods to it, but all fundamentally the same compatibility, same set up process

Suthek

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great to hear that downgrading is just possible via the Browser, even on 8.1.0!

EmuNand would be preferable, because it would be safer for the console...
But if a CFW on the SysNand has better support for games, and a new one is easy to install, that would be a better way to go in the end, for this purpose.

Any CFW's that shine out above the others?

Or are there even any games that require a FW higher than 8.1.0? (Other than MH4/MM)

I believe emunand will not allow you to play ANY backups without a GW. (Can someone confirm? I'm like 99% sure.)
CFW is your only route for the backup solution... but you would only be able to play games that support the CFW 4.5
Newer games = nogo.

Adr990

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
there is only the 1 cfw (that plays roms for free) and various basic mods to it, but all fundamentally the same compatibility, same set up process

Thanks, I see: topic.

Is there much risk involved when downgrading? Or is it a smooth process?
I mean, there is always a risk, even when doing the DS Profile editing with the Blue card. But like, have people often reported bricks?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Majora's Mask JPN requires[/updates you to] 9.4 for whatever reason (the other regions only need 7.1). Other than that, newer Smash copies update you to 9.2, as well as Cooking Mama (in Europe).

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
So much misinformation here. Afaik the ocarina exploit wont work on an (old) 3ds so you'll be using the browser. You'll be downgrading to 4.x so forget about what games need fw above 8.1. Once downgraded you can either run palantine cfw which has no compatibility with game using the new encryption keys (there is a list on the wiki here http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Titles_with_7.x_Encryption) cfw, from most reports takes a few reboots to get loaded. Other option is you setup a Gateway emunand but that needs the gateway card every time the console reboots. Also, the CFW isn't installed to sysnand, it's an emunand on an sd card like gateway. There's a guide on this very forum on how to install cfw.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Majora's Mask JPN requires[/updates you to] 9.4 for whatever reason (the other regions only need 7.1). Other than that, newer Smash copies update you to 9.2, as well as Cooking Mama (in Europe).

It maybe because JPN region consoles are generally a couple of decimal places infront of other regions in the system menu version number.

Adr990

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Definitely. I could never recommend using the MT emuNAND now that rxTools has rxMode.

MT's emuNAND is buggy, broken and hasn't been updated in months.

Too bad rxMode doesn't support backups?

And too bad MT's EmuNand is buggy at that...

In short, will "Palantine CFW 2" (or whatever the latest version is) will be capable of playing 7.X encrypted games? (If I provide that key)
Or is there a better CFW out there for my purpose?

There are plenty of games modified to be playable on lower FW's, as long as they only require the 7.X decrypting.

mb2010

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Too bad rxMode doesn't support backups?

And too bad MT's EmuNand is buggy at that...

In short, will "Palantine CFW 2" (or whatever the latest version is) will be capable of playing 7.X encrypted games? (If I provide that key)
Or is there a better CFW out there for my purpose?

There are plenty of games modified to be playable on lower FW's, as long as they only require the 7.X decrypting.

Depending on how often you see your friend you could always set up their 3ds using your gateway. Install all the games they want using CIA on a 9.5 emunand and have them just use sleep mode. Like i said this all depends on how often you see them because once the 3ds is turned off/freezes you will have to boot it back into gateway. I used the CFW initially but just felt limited (Old games) and frustrated (Getting it to boot) and just bought a gateway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, there was a power outage while you were sleeping?