7 reasons the 21st Century is making you miserable

cubin'

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Best article I've read in some time, worth checking out. Not sure how many here would appreciate something like this but you'll definitely learn a few things.

http://www.cracked.com/index.php?name=News&sid=2370

Tell me what you think...?
wink2.gif

2wirends

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after peer editing for a classroom assignment on Turnitin.com

i can say that the writer has style - organization - and above all the ability to keep us entertained in his ranting of why we are so miserable

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess perhaps it is because I pretty much do none of the "misery causing" actions but that meant absolutely nothing to me.

cubin'

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
what 'misery causing' actions? sorry if I didn't understand what you meant but I don't think we read the same article.

Glad some of you liked it, I thought it was a pretty interesting read.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do not get me wrong I am sure for some there is a sense of agreement but for me I am not really affected or dependent on things detailed.

The writer goes for the tendency for social isolation via walkman ipods and their ilk.
I personally am one of the people that can not stand having what little hearing I possess rendered useless by headphones.

Sites of the "web 2.0" genre are somewhat lampooned.
I have never gone around one of the traditional sorts of "flickr/myspace/facebook/youtube/google/random blog unless physically linked to something there under the pretence it was something worthwhile much less registered and contributed (not even trawling for funny cat pictures).

Likewise I do not use MSN/AIM/Jabber/ICQ..... and IRC is limited to 2 channels (even then I only picked it up in place of torrents/usenet).

Related to above the pouring out of ones heart to said sites and forums as a "substitute" to human interaction in times of need.
I have no doubt that others gain things from it but I defy you to find something along those lines related to myself,

Text messaging is disparaged.
I got (read was strongly compelled to accept) a mobile phone when I went to university. I used it about 10 times to make out calls (which were either I have been attacked/attempted to be mugged/hurt myself or someone else or are you all alive) that day I left it the phone befell an accident. While I sent about 20 text messages during the time I had it they were only meet me here, this address, this number....

"#5. We don't get criticized enough."
The author links to worthwhile debate contrasting it with all out flame war/insult sort of thing. Personally I feel numerous subjects have been covered and "criticism" has been acted upon. Then again where I go perhaps does not reflect the general level of mindlessness and moronic behaviour that goes on in various corners of the internet (I once visited the gamefaqs/cnet forum and found myself thinking evolution can not be correct: people like this should not have lived long enough to be able to form as semi-cohesive sentence). It might also be the fact that a debate over matters of science and technology is more capable of forming intelligent debate. An anecdote I find amusing though: I was once in a kitchen of a friends house when some housewives struck up a conversation about generic soap opera [44]. Were I to rate them intellectually the rating would not be nice. They did however end up cross referencing numerous plot arcs/character interactions/inferences of years past (despite in actuality the "plot" being ripped from another TV show 5 minutes before the deadline): something normally regarded as a highly desirable asset for the intellectual "elite".

"#6. We're victims of the Outrage Machine."
Here the author sends up a tendency for the sensationalist "headlines" to grab attention versus the more balanced side of things. I will resist the need to reference/debate the long standing line of thought that says the same and instead do exactly what I was told not to do in an argument and talk about myself.
Both and subconsciously I would like to believe more often than not I avoid it: I do not read newspapers which seem more concerned with what/where said politician/sports star/celebrity ate/snorted/went on holiday/killed as I prefer IT, games and science/tech news. It may also be that I am somewhat stuck in the past: I built a new computer that plays 2 year old games fantastically, I am still playing through the xbox catalogue and finding even older titles I have not played, I do not watch TV (I recently found myself watching the first series of 24, a show I am told is over half a decade old, films are also in the same category), music: I have long paid little attention to pop charts but will confess to listening to the latest and greatest in viking metal, sports are the same: I have never watched a football/soccer game in my life or any other competitive sport by definition). Of course this has been taken too far in some areas of science (it is one of the reasons for my despising psychology) when anything that is somewhat sensationalist gets drowned out (there is no way in hell I could write a paper where one of the "gods of science" is wrong even it is truely is the case). On a similar note people also seem shocked when common sense is applied (it is a fuse: it does not need an electrician to change it) or something deviates from the rules (OMG Pulp fiction does not have a traditional beginning middle and end).

Lack of interaction: I freely admit I do not go out very often and rarely speak to anyone. This may be because most of my friends now live on other continents while I am stuck in my pathetic hometown trying to scrape enough funds together to do the same or maybe because getting drunk, starting fights and getting 16 year old girls pregnant does not do anything for me. Not sure where I am going with this one though.

In all truth it is more likely I am a bitter, jaded and cynical bastard with little regard for the thoughts, feelings and well being of others.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually that's one big reason: social networking on the Internet.
biggrin.gif
In many ways they're right. You know, I see the same people on the bus to work every morning and I've never spoken to them*. Not one. And I never will. Ever gotten into a conversation with an elderly person at a bus stop about somethingorother while thinking the whole time "wtf, I don't know you"?. It seems inconcieveable to just strike up a conversation with a stranger during the day.

I'll admit I'm attached to my MP3 player when I'm out (wearing headphones doesn't mean you have to have them loud
tongue.gif
), and I have a lot of trouble talking to people who aren't my age. I can't just blame the 21st century stuff for that, my parents don't have any family friends so I didn't grow up around any strangers or meet new people often. Going to Uni sorted me for talking to people my own age that I don't know, but I still don't "get" talking to anyone random over 30.

And I don't hold txt conversations because I'm on Pay+Go and don't get a stupid number of free texts; try paying 10p per 150 characters and you wouldn't either
biggrin.gif

(* except when that f'king pigeon shat in my hair at the bus stop and a nice lady with a pushchair gave me some baby wipes to clean it up. She was nice.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries