5.50 Gen-D3 to 6.20 TN Hen-A

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by mayhem366, Jan 2, 2011.

1. mayhem366
    OP

mayhem366 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2008
    UK
    At the minute I have a PSP 2000 non-TA86 motherboard or whatever the problematic boards are.
    It is running 5.50 Gen-D3 allowing me to run my backups and homebrew.
    I was considering updating to 6.20 and then using Total_Noob's Hen. Is it worth doing this?

It was always my understanding that HEN was for PSP2000 TA86/PSP3000/PSPGo users as they could not install CFW.
    Is this the case?
    You have to load the Patapon 2 demo every time to load the Half-Byte-Loader which then enables you to run your homebrew am I correct?
    This just seems like a pain in the arse when CFW allows me to load it straight from the VSH...

2. Quietlyawesome94

Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 4, 2010
    United States
    The Internet
    You just gave yourself the answer man, its a freaking pain, it can't load all isos and Homebrew, it tends to crash, and u have to load it each time you power your psp.... my opinion. STAY ON GEN 3

3. alkahest

alkahest GBAtemp Regular

Jun 17, 2010
    United States
    stay dont upgrade

4. GuardianSoul

GuardianSoul Translator

Aug 18, 2008
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    I have used 5.50 GEN-D3 on my old PSP 2000, and I'm currently using 6.20 TN Hen-B on my PSP 3000 now...

...And these are a few reasons why you shouldn't upgrade to 6.20.

- Backup compatibility
    6.20 TN Hen-B's backup compatibility (or actually Prometeus' ISO Loader) is nearly perfect, but there are some games incompatible.
    - Plugins
    Currently, 5.50 supports more plugins than 6.20.
    - PSX backup support
    There isn't any Popsloader released for 6.20 to PSX backup games yet.
    - Theme support
    6.20 DOES have a CXMB plugin, but there aren't many themes for it, 5.50 has more
    - Restarting
    When you restart your PSP when you're on 6.20, you have to do the steps all over to run the HEN, like you said.
    - ISO loading
    5.50 Gen-D3 and 5.50 Prometheus have a build-in ISO Loader, you can access your backups from the XMB menu...
    With 6.20 you have to download a homebrew ISO Loader or you have to download a plugin which give you access to
    launch backups from the XMB menu.

I would recommend you to get 5.50 Prometheus, this one's backup compatibility is slightly better than 5.50 GEN-D3, it can run 6.20 games like KINGDOM HEARTS: Birth by Sleep, and you won't have to run the HEN again and again.

Conclusion: ONLY upgrade to 6.20 if you REALLY want the Sense-Me (Music) Channels and the Digital Comics feature.

5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    6.20 TN-B has less ISO compatibility, less plugin compatibility, slightly less homebrew compatibility, and no POPS loading

Stick with D3 for now.

EDIT: Ninja'd by an edit.

6. mayhem366
    OP

mayhem366 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2008
    UK
    You guys have just backed up my own thoughts. I did try Prometheus at one point but it ballsed up my saves and there was no fix when I tried it I think. I also have the Sense-Me music channel because someone managed to port it back to 5.50 a little while back and the comic reader is wasted on me so it looks like CFW will be staying [​IMG].

Cheers guys.