4 consoles. Can only pick one for vacation.

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Harsky, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I have the small O3DS, O3DS XL, 2DS, small N3DS and finally the N3DS XL. They all have CFW but I'm trying to decide which one would should join me for a trip abroad to play when I'm on the plane and when I'm winding down at night to play before sleeping.

The O3DS is small and because it was super cheap (sold as faulty, I replaced the LCD screen), I wouldn't be too bummed out if I lose it or damage it. The small form factor is great to place in my pocket but I never liked the small screen and the lack of SNES VC plays a factor as well.

Meanwhile on the opposite end is the N3DS XL which is fully loaded with everything but this is the one that I would be super gutted if I lose it or damage it. Not to mention that the larger size means it can't really fit in my pocket.

For people who have several consoles but can only pick one for travelling, what did you pick and why? Also, no "emulators on phone" suggestion. I tried it out and I could only enjoy so much retro games before I got bored playing old games I already played a few months ago.

2. ForeverEternal

ForeverEternal GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2016
    United States
    You just answered your own question.

small N3DS

NekoMichi likes this.
  3. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2009
    Depends on the current game I'm playing. Before, I played Monster Hunter X on the go whenever, wherever, so I always bring with me my N3DS XL. Now, I'm currently playing God Eater 2 Rage Burst, so I'm always bringing with me my phat PS Vita.

4. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    I'd say small N3DS

5. Scarlet

Scarlet Phone Charm

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    Did I miss something or do you actually have five consoles, not four? Anyway, that aside, I'd agree with those above and go small N3DS. It's my portable system of choice ♪

NekoMichi and WeedZ like this.
  6. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Small N3DS is the way to go.

7. wiiu more like pee u

wiiu more like pee u GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    thats 5 consoles

fodder and WeedZ like this.
  8. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    Just get a big bag and take them all lol.
    I take my 9 consoles whenever I travel to a place that has a TV.

WeedZ likes this.
  9. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Take the one with all your favorite games installed.

10. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    If I am traveling I like to pick up my n3ds.

11. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    And who says this generation is spoiled? these are some real first world problems

12. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    just flip a coin and be done with it .
    my psp goes with me every time I leave the house . only time it doesn't is if I'm going to work

13. NekoMichi

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    It depends on how careful you are with your consoles. If you've never had problems with damaging or losing things on vacation before and have plenty of carry space, then go all-out with the N3DS XL. You can even put it in an inside-pocket of a jacket for quick access (unless you're going somewhere warm, in which case you probably won't be bringing a big jacket). If you're worried, then go for the small N3DS.

Personally, I have 2 x O3DS, 1 x N3DS, and 1 x N3DS XL. On my last trip I brought the N3DS XL because it is my main driver and and the larger screen is more comfortable to view in a darkened airline cabin. But then again, this is coming from the same guy who brought an entire NES on-board just to plug it into the passenger screens.

astrangeone likes this.
  14. bahamut920

bahamut920 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    I can fit my n3DS XL and its semi-hard case the pockets of most of my pants, and easily in any of my jackets. Just saying. Had to search for weeks before I found a case I could do that with, though, and it was a super plain one that I ended up with (now that I have this 3DS, I almost wish I had picked up the Persona Q LE).

My personal suggestion would be the n3DS Small, though. It seems to be the best of all worlds in this situation; small enough to easily fit in any pockets, powerful enough for SNES VC, and it isn't your favorite, so you wouldn't be super depressed if it got lost/broken/stolen.

Last edited by bahamut920, Nov 14, 2016
  15. mutinize

mutinize dazed and confused

Jan 17, 2014
    United States
    I would bring none because I am on vacation

NekoMichi and WeedZ like this.
  16. bahamut920

bahamut920 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    To be fair, there is a lot of time spent "in transit" where you don't have a whole lot to do, and even in the hotel room at night where you don't really want to go out but don't have anything do do for a while before "bedtime". I'm sure OP isn't going somewhere on vacation to play video games the whole time, but having something to do during "dead time" can be useful.

foob likes this.
  17. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Master of cookies ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    Small N3DS so it is portable and powerfull and it is not that bad if you loose it since you still have your N3DS xl

18. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    I would pick the one that you feel least concerned about damaging. At least that's how I'm wired.

19. owek1

owek1 Master Sword Wielder

Aug 16, 2016
    i am extremely late like 2 weeks late LOL but would like to share my opinion on this. Bring the 2DS, should you lose it, it is cheaper to replace and is still available to purchase new in stores, anyway you are playing it mostly in the hotel room anyway..am sure during transit you'd be sightseeing a lot..anyway, enjoy your vacation wherever you are..