Rotten
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here is my situation. My Wii is at 4.3U with an original WiiKey. I run almost all of my games from disc. I like to use NeoGamma to run a few games from a USB drive. Before updating to 4.3U I had cIOS249 v14 and cIOS250 v65535 and no other cIOS or modified IOS. I updated my HBC and used the official Nintendo update to go to 4.3U. Of course I knew this would stub IOS249 at v65280. I reinstalled cIOS249 v14 and NeoGamma works fine using it. The only problem is that every recent disc wants to run a system update and re-stub IOS249 v65280.

What would be the easiest way to avoid the updates on the disc?
- Can NeoGamma be set to work from cIOS250?
- Can I use a WAD tool or cIOS installer to set my cIOS249 version > 65280?
- Some other solution I am overlooking?

Keep in mind I don't want to modify discs by stripping updates or modifying them in any way. The only IOS I want to modify are 249 and 250. I don't want to mod anything else to block updates from disc either.

Evil-Popeye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
You could use the rebooter within Neogamma to reboot so that it skips the update. This ofcourse would require that you restarted your wii everytime to play a game though.

Lazycus

Rotten
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I tried to be as clear and detailed as possible but obviously I've failed. I don't want Priiloader or StartPatch or any other similar hacks on my system. I want to be able to run almost all of my games directly from the disc channel without newer games always trying to update my cIOS249. I want to use NeoGamma occasionally so I need a cIOS249 that won't register as needing to be updated/stubbed or a way to run NeoGamma using a cIOS in a different location - such as the cIOS250 I already have.

airline38

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
U can use ShowMiiWads to change cIOS249 wad file version to 65535 then re-install it.

(MMM - Multi-Mod-Manager can do this ,too.)

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like xzxero already mentioned, If you boot a game (retail or backup) through neogamma it will skip any updates. If you don't want to go through the neogamma menu every time you use it you could take a look at Xflak's autoboot mod.

If you really want to just load the games through the disk channel than the easiest way to avoid the updates (if not the only way) would be to use either startpatch or priiloader. Not sure why you wouldn't want them, but I can't think of any other way to get around updates when using the disk channel.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why would you want to go as far to install Cios 249, and not install priiloader?
What is the problem with that?

IT IS THE EASYIST, SAFEST WAY TO BLOCK UPDATES.

Why are you trying to do things the hard way and not the "obvious" way?
What is the point in that?

Lazycus

Rotten
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Once again, the point is I want to keep my modifications as small as possible - specifically a cIOS and HBC. My goal is not to block all updates, just the stubbing of my cIOS249 which should be obvious. Priiloader (and all boot modifying hacks) is unwanted and certainly not "THE EASYIST, SAFEST WAY . . ." to do anything. I'm not looking for a debate on the right amount of hacking that you think I should apply to my Wii. I don't want to reboot every disc through NeoGamma. I don't want to run the majority of my games off a USB drive. I'm happy putting in a disc every time I want to change games and letting my WiiKey do it's work. If I wanted to go down the path you guys are suggesting I wouldn't have updated to 4.3U in the first place.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We will update your cIOS249 to v17 now and set it to v65535.
Here is the safest, but slower way (airline38 said it before):
1. Download ModMii, start it, I agree, enter, 2, enter, 249v17, enter, D, enter, Y, enter, O, enter, copy the cIOS249-v17b.wad from the WAD folder to your desktop.
2. Download ShowMiiWads, start it, I accept and take the risk of WAD editing features, tools - create common-key, restart, file, open folder, select desktop, ok, right click on cIOS249-v17b.wad, change title version, yes, 65535, ok.
3. Download YAWMM, copy the modified cIOS249-v17b.wad from your deskop to your sd card together with YAWMM, start your wii, HBC, YAWMM, select IOS249, disable nand emulation, wii sd slot, select the cIOS249-v17b.wad, press a, install WAD.
That should be everything and that is the safest way!

Lazycus

Rotten
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help regarding changing the cIOS249 version (FIX94 & Airline38).

WiiPower set me straight on NeoGamma - all I had to do was edit the config file to point at cIOS250. I let my disc update stub IOS249 again and now I have a fully updated 4.3U Wii with NeoGamma running off of cIOS250 whenever I want to use it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1