Hardware 3DSXL vs. New 2DSXL??

AmirJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I am planning to buy a Nintendo handheld for some time. My current budget can get me either a second-hand 3DSXL or a new 2DSXL. I have never tried any of these models before and would love to hear your opinions regarding these two models. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
By 3DS XL, do you mean New 3DS XL?

If so, I'd definitely get N3DSXL. They have same screen size, same CPU and RAMs, but It has strong hinge, easily replaceable battery, longer pen(If it comes with one, mine came without it :'( ), 3D functionality, Larger battery capacity, and so on.

If it's Old 3DS XL- Then get N2DSXL. It has better CPU, comes with C-Stick and NFC functionality.

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I am planning to buy a Nintendo handheld for some time. My current budget can get me either a second-hand 3DSXL or a new 2DSXL. I have never tried any of these models before and would love to hear your opinions regarding these two models. Thanks in advance!

It's really down to personal preference. Each console is a different tactile experience, really. I find that the new 2DS XL is more comfortable, and easier to fit into a pocket (I'm a chick, and women's clothing usually has smaller pockets, if any, so that's useful to me), but if you're not really going anywhere, then it's probably not that important. I also find people with smaller hands gravitate to the n2DSXL more than the other ones for some reason? My cousin can barely hold a 3DSXL but the slimmer build of the n2DSXL helps his tiny 10-year-old fingers.

But, it's also important to take into account if you care about 3D functionality or not. If it really matters to you, then I'd say to go with the 3DSXL, but if not, eh.

@KokoseiJ has a good point. Is it a New 3DSXL or a regular 3DSXL? Because that does play into things quite a lot.

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
It's really down to personal preference. Each console is a different tactile experience, really. I find that the new 2DS XL is more comfortable, and easier to fit into a pocket (I'm a chick, and women's clothing usually has smaller pockets, if any, so that's useful to me), but if you're not really going anywhere, then it's probably not that important. I also find people with smaller hands gravitate to the n2DSXL more than the other ones for some reason? My cousin can barely hold a 3DSXL but the slimmer build of the n2DSXL helps his tiny 10-year-old fingers.

But, it's also important to take into account if you care about 3D functionality or not. If it really matters to you, then I'd say to go with the 3DSXL, but if not, eh.

@KokoseiJ has a good point. Is it a New 3DSXL or a regular 3DSXL? Because that does play into things quite a lot.
To be honest I got N3DSXL because It was cheaper(aprox. $90, while second-handed N2DSXL were mostly over $120). Prices are the one that matters mostly, but If their prices are same, It's just about your preference. They both have their upsides and downsides.

and Yeah, I can't imagine O3DSXL being sold at the same price of N2DSXL, but if it does I can say that it's not worth it.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[...]
Be careful with carrying the N2SDXL in cloths pockets. The upper screen is very easy to damage (and really hard to replace).

@AmirJustin Please have a look at this similar thread. There are some arguments for each device in there.

driven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say if you can afford it, get a refurbished new 3DSXL off Nintendo's store. I honestly like the construction of these units better than the 2DS. That being said, I don't use 3D functionality on any of my 3DS.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
To be honest i'd take an O3DS over a N2DS because the 3D effect is priceless to me. Too bad not every game and emulator exploits it.
But it's a matter of personal preference. the NEW models can run more games, homebrew and such. If it weren't for the price difference nobody would buy the old models, for sure. And about the XL versions, again, if price's not an issue i'd always go for the XL.

I personally own a second hand O3DSXL and i'm quite happy with it, only things i can't do with it are run NeoGeo, PS1 and N64. But i also own a PSP, and use emulators on my PC so it's not a big deal.

Did you make a choice yet?

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
New 3DS XL is more better that battery capacity is more than New 2DS XL. I don't use 3D slider and play games without problems. I did tried 3D but it's hurt my eyes little bit then turn off 3D then no headache. I had old 3DS XL and battery last about 11 hours. My New 3DS XL last about 10 hours and 50 minutes. Not bad. I can use my Anker power bank 20,100 mAH to rechargeable my 3DS XL or/and New 3DS XL to keep play games more longer than 11 hours.

I look at New 2DS XL that is flaw design with hinge means will crack more easily. Similar to Nintendo DS Lite hinge is more weak can break easily.

I just play my Nintendo 3DS games on my computer desk with my HP desktop and PS4 together. Much more easily for me to switch between computer and PS4 in just few seconds. I had StarTech HDMI switch (up to 4K support) connect to my Westinghouse 32 inches (2 HDMI, 1 DP, VA panel support up to 1440p - 2K, 144 Hz, 5 ms) gaming monitor to play any games from my computer or PS4. Easy for me place my Nintendo 3DS XL / New 3DS XL on computer desk because have enough room on it. :)

I would need to buy L computer desk for to put more few hardware on for PS5 and other video consoles (Nintendo Switch 2, etc) in near future for upgrade means more future proof to have plenty room for any devices to put on desk. :)

Cheers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)