3DSXL Aluminium shells: Which are safest?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by daicon, Mar 20, 2014.

1. daicon
    OP

daicon GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    United States
    I'm looking to get a shell for my XL so that I can feel good about shoving it in my pocket, etc. However, I've heard stories about how they scratch up your 3DS when you clip them off or take them off and that's something I don't want to happen.

Which case should I trust? I had my eyes on http://www.eachmall.me/goods-16157-16157.html but it looks like it could be one of the ones that scratches when you clip it on.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Doesn't have to be aluminium either, btw.

2. Commoner

Commoner GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    I personally would not recommend getting an aluminum case from a cheap source. I've heard that the way they cut the aluminum can easily leave sharp or jagged edges on them. This can end up scratching your 3DS or worse, lead to a nasty cut.

If you want a cheap solution get a plastic or silicon cover. I would personally recommend a clear plastic case like the one below, which also comes with a 3DS usb charging cable which is very handy to have.

http://www.amazon.com/Everydaysource-Compatible-Nintendo-3DS-XL-Charging/dp/B0094PH45Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1395343916&sr=8-7&keywords=clear case 3ds xl

I personally like the clear case because you can easily slip in a printed piece of paper between the case and the 3DS to spice up your console a little.

Here's something I threw together myself as an example of what I'm talking about :

[​IMG]

Since it's just a loose piece of paper underneath the clear case, it's pretty easy to swap the artwork out as well if you get tired of it. These were the ones my kids asked me to print out for them a while back. They've swapped them out a couple of weeks ago though for different images.

lampdemon, lordofthereef and daicon like this.
  3. lambstone

lambstone No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.

Banned
    Aug 14, 2011
  4. link6155

link6155 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    I had a friend who used an aluminum shell. After a few weeks of uses, he decided to take it off. What he found was scratches all over his 3DS front and back. The problem with the case was that it had no soft inside material, the metal was being rubbed against the surface of his 3DS even though it seemed like a snug fit. If you do get an aluminum shell, you should make sure that it has some kind of soft material on the inside to prevent any friction against the surfaces.

I personally don't like cases as they add a good amount of bulk no matter how slim they are. I went with a carbon fiber skin instead: http://gbatemp.net/threads/a-new-look-for-my-3ds.361683/

The skin doesn't cover the whole 3DS from inch to inch, but it covers it enough that you probably won't scratch it. I also like this better because it adds very little bulk, my 3DS still fits inside of it's charging dock. If I ever need to take off the skin because I don't like it or it's not working, it doesn't leave any sticky residue.

5. lordofthereef

lordofthereef GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2013
    United States
    Boston, MA
    +1 for the shell. I have what looks to be the same as in the pics above but mine is a hard plastic. I really love it. Bought on eBay for about $6 AND it came with a screen protector (pair) as well as a USB charger. I keep the USB plugged in at my computer and don't have to worry about running out of power or finding a wall port. We have three XL's and all of them have one of these cases.

6. kid vega

kid vega Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2014
    United States