.3dsx firms?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Knucklesfan, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Knucklesfan
    OP

Knucklesfan GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    Quick question GBATemp-ers, why do we need emunand? Seriously, if we can replace the booting process, why can't we install menuhax and make it run an emunand? Or just a copy of the 3DS menu? This isn't fixing =<11.1.0.0, but its at least allowing people with >=11.0.0-33 to use a CFW. Why do we absolutely need Arm9LoaderHax? So why not make them .3dsx files?

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    That's not how .3dsx files work /:

KunoichiZ likes this.
  3. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    World -1
    A 3dsx is just an arm11 userland executable and we need an arm9 kernel exploit to run CFW. All known arm9 exploits were patched in 9.2 that's why downgrade is needed.

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N and Justin14p like this.
  4. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N oh no

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Sixth Circle of Hell
    Plus, even if you could run MenuHax like that (which you can't), you'd have little to no boot protection, meaning that if you brick while installing something to SysNAND, you're screwed. MenuHax only loads after the OS is loaded, while A9LH loads much earlier in boot.

5. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    We don't. A9LH runs so early in the boot process that we can patch the required checks before sysnand boots, rendering emunand unnecessary.

Menuhax runs within the home menu. It can't run until the home menu is starting. A9LH makes this unnecessary as the patches are already done by then.

I think there is a project to replace the home menu, but this would not provide any additional permissions, only provide a new front end.

I think you're confused. CFW requires the arm9 kernel to be exploited in order to run. The exploits which allow this to happen either run through A9LH, or through a 9.2 exploit. You can't just replace things on >9.2 and expect it to work.

If you're running on sysnand 9.2 then you can absolutely use CFW from a 3dsx. Luma, for example, provides a 3dsx loader which is launched by menuhax (or manually from the HBL).

I'm not really sure what question you are asking or what problem you are trying to solve here.

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N likes this.