Hacking 3ds xl was partially updated but still on 4.5

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I have miiverse icon in Emunand. All changes I see only in emuNAND. If you see miiverse icon in classic, then, updating wasn't in emunand mode. You accidentally updated nand.

Of course you will have miiverse in emunand and classic soon as you boot into gateway you are in emunand, classic or whichever they both should have the GW3DS sign on settings. Did you not know that you can update emunand without updating your system nand?, I think you have your wires crossed a bit with the topic, others mean partially updating your system nand with miiverse icon, soon as you have that present in your system nand your 3DS cannot be used with gateway. Emunand it does not matter.

EMegamanu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone.

Emunand update fails for me too during the end of the process.

When I reboot on the emunand, I have the Miiverse icon, but the emunand version is GW3D 4.4.0-10E. So eShop ask for an update, and Miiverse does not work.

I tried three times. I changed the 4GB class 4 SD card for a 32GB class 10 SD card, formated emunand, reinstalled the exploit with the blue card... but it fails again.

Any suggestion ?

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone.

Emunand update fails for me too during the end of the process.

When I reboot on the emunand, I have the Miiverse icon, but the emunand version is GW3D 4.4.0-10E. So eShop ask for an update, and Miiverse does not work.

I tried three times. I changed the 4GB class 4 SD card for a 32GB class 10 SD card, formated emunand, reinstalled the exploit with the blue card... but it fails again.

Any suggestion ?
Dont update through the eshop.(not saying you did but you mentioned eshop and update in the same sentence). Keep trying. Thats all you can do.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
sounds like it could be a shitty internet connection......format emunand again to stock 4.x, and leave the 3ds in sleep mode until you start getting prompted that a update is ready to install, then you know its downloaded ready so proceed to system settings and update, but it will used the already downloaded update

Reactions: EMegamanu

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I had this bug when I attempted to update my EmuNAND for Miiverse when it was released. It's not a really a "partial update", it's just that NVer remains the same after the update for whatever reason. You are on the latest firmware, not 4.5, and I fixed this by reverting to an older NAND image and re-attempting the update.
A simple bug in the installer is far more likely than a "half-update" in my eyes - this story I can buy. Firmware usually checks for file integrity before even booting to make sure that it was not modified (hence the problems in hacking it), so a half-update would likely just brick it. Then again, it depends on what "module" of it is being updated - maybe non-essential ones are less protected, although MiiVerse is pretty much at the core of the firmware now.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I have never seen that happen nor have I read any reports of "lucky survivors of partial updates". Turning the system off mid-update ends with a brick 99.99% of the time and the other 0.01% are fairy dust to me, really. If Gateway no longer works then consider re-installing the exploit. If the update files themselves are still being unpacked or something along those lines, sure - if they're being actively installed, meaning the firmware is being flashed over, it's trouble town.

I once saw a video on YouTube, and a person had a partially-updated DSi. The firmware that I knew was out wasn't shown in his system settings, yet he was still able to connect to the Shop Channel. I can't find said video at the moment, but I'll see if I can find it later on.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I once saw a video on YouTube, and a person had a partially-updated DSi. The firmware that I knew was out wasn't shown in his system settings, yet he was still able to connect to the Shop Channel.
Pretty sure that much like on the Wii, the Shop Channel on the DSi is a separate title and as such it has separate updates, but I might be wrong.

EMegamanu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
sounds like it could be a shitty internet connection......format emunand again to stock 4.x, and leave the 3ds in sleep mode until you start getting prompted that a update is ready to install, then you know its downloaded ready so proceed to system settings and update, but it will used the already downloaded update
Shitty Internet connection ? uh... not really : http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3727171882 ^^;

But akamai seems have some problem tonight. I will try again later like you said, with a predownloaded update. Can I decline and launch it later via the system settings ?

Dont update through the eshop.(not saying you did but you mentioned eshop and update in the same sentence). Keep trying. Thats all you can do.
Do not worry, I will not update via eShop. I mentioned it just because I cannot use it at this state. :(

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can do it retail too kyogre. Foxi4 just because you havent seen it happen doesnt mean it cant. You can overwrite unimportant pieces of code that can wreck your ability to use the cart but still keep you pretty much on 4.5. That 99 percent chance of a brick is a bullshit statement and statistic. I have searched and searched and you are the only person to say this. I have personally seen someone do this. Not to mention seen a lot of pictures and heard at least 4 or 5 complaints that gateway doesnt work on their 4.5 console. I have seen pictures of multiple consoles with miiverse on their 4.5 3ds.

Heres someone else posting on here about it. http://gbatemp.net/threads/corrupted-4-4-firmware-update-to-4-5-question.364303/

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Shitty Internet connection ? uh... not really : http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3727171882 ^^;

But akamai seems have some problem tonight. I will try again later like you said, with a predownloaded update. Can I decline and launch it later via the system settings ?

Do not worry, I will not update via eShop. I mentioned it just because I cannot use it at this state. :(
yeah decline and go to system settings, it will still use the downloaded copy once it checks with nintnedo that its the latest one

also i didnt necessarily mean *slow*, but maybe your 3DS doesn't deal well with your router or something so any sort of momentary disconnection/interference would also interrupt the update

EMegamanu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So great ! Predownloading the update worked !

"Thousands times thank you!" :D

Edit: Hu... Strange thing now... Nintendo DS profile from Emunand... shows the Nintendo DS profile. I did not expect that. ^^;

Reactions: gamesquest1

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
So great ! Predownloading the update worked !

"Thousands times thank you!" :D

Edit: Hu... Strange thing now... Nintendo DS profile from Emunand... shows the Nintendo DS profile. I did not expect that. ^^;
glad you got it sorted....and yeah i think they changed how the DS profile bit worked in 7.x so it now works in emunand :P

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I downloaded the gateway 3ds 2.3b and I wanted to update the emunand to the latest version and I made sure that it was on emunand before I updated, but for some reason it kept failing to update whenever I tried to so I kept repeating the process over and over again then strangely the miiverse incon was on the right corner of the menu screen then I discovered it was partially updated... Anyways I have a backup of my nand, but I don't know how to do any of the hardware modifications to downgrade my 3ds. So does anyone do those services for a considerable price?

Thank you.

My bro hundshamer is very reasonable person give him a shot :)

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country

It amazes me the way France has always got mega fast internet connection in there country but us british are still in the stone age, I mean I'm on FTTP so I'm not moaning but still only get 13 - 15MB Upload speed which is supposed to be good but a good 250MB Down and that is supposed still be top notch speeds here in the UK at this time! Nice speed test though ;) Sorry about the bad english, don't panik its gangster from the hood typing!.. no not really its just I'm typing fast as I am thinking and making a rite cock up :lol:

Arnold0

Trophies
Website
arnold0.com
XP
Country
France
It amazes me the way France has always got mega fast internet connection in there country but us british are still in the stone age, I mean I'm on FTTP so I'm not moaning but still only get 13 - 15MB Upload speed which is supposed to be good but a good 250MB Down and that is supposed still be top notch speeds here in the UK at this time! Nice speed test though ;) Sorry about the bad english, don't panik its gangster from the hood typing!.. no not really its just I'm typing fast as I am thinking and making a rite cock up :lol:

It's only a realy few part of france that have this, and when some people have this, almost all of the people (me included) have less than 1Mbyte/s download speed and are stuck with 100KBytes/s upload...

On topic : I've already read a few times that people partialy updated sysnand so it says 4.5 but it's 7.x or 8.x, so it's definitly possible to do.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I my self had a partial update occur on my system. I had a 4.5 3DS (It was an original 3DS not an XL, so don't cry bloody murder. :P ) and went ahead and just did an update since it probably won't be till 2015+ before I can even afford a Gateway and I wanted to use one with an XL anyway.

Well long story short the update was 95% done on the progress bar and suddenly an error came up and told me to restart. The system booted up and had the miiverse icon. but it didn't update any of the system apps. Because this happened to be the 8.x update, the system requires them to be updated to the new encryption. So eShop and settings menu wouldn't start. Luckily, I had Pokemon X and just used that to update (or downgrade? lol) to system 6.1. Which seemed to have fixed everything. I then tried to update again to 8.x after doing a system format. It worked correctly the second time.

I honestly wonder if I actually "downgraded" the system. Since a lot of the system probably had 8.0 firmware on it, but the version string along with some system apps were not updated. Due to that, the Pokemon X cart saw it as system 4.5 still and it did the update or downgrade in this case. The fact that the system apps worked again after the "downgrade" means that it actually did reset the system back to 6.1.

If there's a partial exploit that allowed someone to tinker with the version string stored in the firmware, one could in theory fool a 4.5 game into "downgrading a newer firmware system back to 4.5. :P

But we are a long way from finding a way of doing that. :P

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
was the miiverse still there after updating to 6.1, someone who had a partially updated console on 4.1-4 tried updating to 4.5 to "downgrade", but it seems it will only update what needs updating and leaves the newer stuff as it was, so he still had miiverse but now system settings said 4.5....still partially updated but now it updated the older stuff to be 4.5

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.