Hacking 3ds xl was partially updated but still on 4.5

obs123194

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I downloaded the gateway 3ds 2.3b and I wanted to update the emunand to the latest version and I made sure that it was on emunand before I updated, but for some reason it kept failing to update whenever I tried to so I kept repeating the process over and over again then strangely the miiverse incon was on the right corner of the menu screen then I discovered it was partially updated... Anyways I have a backup of my nand, but I don't know how to do any of the hardware modifications to downgrade my 3ds. So does anyone do those services for a considerable price?

Thank you.

AngryRussianKid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Oh man, I have the exact problem. 100% same. But Gateway works fine. I will try an update tomorrow. I hope, it will work.

Does your GW work correctly?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can't "partially update" - you've either updated or you didn't. A "partial update", meaning installing only a portion of the firmware, would brick the system.

AngryRussianKid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
You can't "partially update" - you've either updated or you didn't. A "partial update", meaning installing only a portion of the firmware, would brick the system.
It was updated partly. It's true! As for me, in GW mode I see GW3DS4.5 in Settings. Also, there is MiiVerse icon on the top-right. No brick, GW works. I will try an update. In Gateway, we trust.

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey foxi. Not to try telling you youre and this is in no way meant rude. But what the hell else would you call a 3ds that say 4.5 but gateway doesnt work?

And you can partially update. As long as something vital to the system isnt in the middle of being overwritten. Like right in the beginning. Then you can overwrite a small unimportant file but have nothing to worry about.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi you can do a partial update
there are numerous reports of people who are still on 4.5 shown in the settings screen but the miiverse icon is present on the home screen and profile exploit no longer works
there are also scammers selling said systems on ebay for $250+ claiming they are 4.5

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was updated partly. It's true! As for me, in GW mode I see GW3DS4.5 in Settings. Also, there is MiiVerse icon on the top-right. No brick, GW works. I will try an update. In Gateway, we trust.
THAN YOU DIDNT PARTIALLY UPDATE. If it says gw3d 4.5 than you have emunand on. You can update emunand.

If your 3ds was partially updated gateway would not work at all.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey foxi. Not to try telling you youre and this is in no way meant rude. But what the hell else would you call a 3ds that say 4.5 but gateway doesnt work?

And you can partially update. As long as something vital to the system isnt in the middle of being overwritten. Like right in the beginning. Then you can overwrite a small unimportant file but have nothing to worry about.
I have never seen that happen nor have I read any reports of "lucky survivors of partial updates". Turning the system off mid-update ends with a brick 99.99% of the time and the other 0.01% are fairy dust to me, really. If Gateway no longer works then consider re-installing the exploit. If the update files themselves are still being unpacked or something along those lines, sure - if they're being actively installed, meaning the firmware is being flashed over, it's trouble town.

Either way, you can always revert to 4.5 if you have a NAND dump, which is the first thing you should make upon launching a Gateway. Here's for hoping the OP has one if he is indeed a part of the 0.01% of the miracle children. Besides, his Gateway works, so there we go.
Foxi you can do a partial update
there are numerous sports of people who are still on 4.5 shown in the settings screen but the miiverse icon is present on the home screen and profile exploit no longer works
there are also scammers selling said systems on ebay for $250+ claiming they are 4.5
As I said, I have never seen a system in that state, so it must be a terribly lucky coincidence unless the 3DS has some form of safety measures that prevent it from bricking if an update installation is interrupted. Weird. You learn something new everyday.

AngryRussianKid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I have miiverse icon in Emunand. All changes I see only in emuNAND. If you see miiverse icon in classic, then, updating wasn't in emunand mode. You accidentally updated nand.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Someone over at maxconsole was sold what they described as a 'unhackable' 3DS on 4.5.

The system menu shows version 4.5 but on the homescreen the miiverse icon is present, which we all know, was introduced at system menu 7.0.0.

Apparently this 'partial update' blocks the DS profile hack.

To those aspiring to buy a second hand 3DS on 4.1-4.5, PLEASE CHECK FOR THE MIIVERSE ICON FIRST

EDIT: Here's the link with pictures of said 3DS

Reactions: weatMod

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this bug when I attempted to update my EmuNAND for Miiverse when it was released. It's not a really a "partial update", it's just that NVer remains the same after the update for whatever reason. You are on the latest firmware, not 4.5, and I fixed this by reverting to an older NAND image and re-attempting the update.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
-- snip --

I have to use my phone's 3g to update and it crashes pretty regularly, I've turned off my system mid update atleast 3 times and so far no brick (I know it's a stupid thing to do, but when there's no progress for over 2 hours it's the only way)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
So I downloaded the gateway 3ds 2.3b and I wanted to update the emunand to the latest version and I made sure that it was on emunand before I updated, but for some reason it kept failing to update whenever I tried to so I kept repeating the process over and over again then strangely the miiverse incon was on the right corner of the menu screen then I discovered it was partially updated... Anyways I have a backup of my nand, but I don't know how to do any of the hardware modifications to downgrade my 3ds. So does anyone do those services for a considerable price?

Thank you.
so lets be clear is the mii verse icon on the sysnand screen or emunand?

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the miiverse icon is on emunand just update your damn emunand. You will be able to access eshop and everything as long as you have 2.3b gateway launcher

AngryRussianKid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Yeah, update was really strange. I have all 7.0 features, but in settings, there is 4.5. Only in emuNAND. I want a clear, full update, wtf.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because yo
I have to use my phone's 3g to update and it crashes pretty regularly, I've turned off my system mid update atleast 3 times and so far no brick (I know it's a stupid thing to do, but when there's no progress for over 2 hours it's the only way)
because you turned off the system at the downloading update phase, not at installing update phase,

Reactions: Foxi4

Wildblood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

Thank you.
I assume you see the miiverse icon in System Nand too? If not, can't you just format EmuNAND and make a new one from scratch?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol