Hardware 3DS XL not reading game cartridge properly.

Bean_BR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello there, people! It's been a long time since I was last active here, it's great to see that GBAtemp is still around and evolving.
So, I'm having a problem with my 3DS XL, it has been a really long time since I last played on it and I wanted to get back and play Smash Bros, but the thing is that the system can't even open the game anymore, it shows the game icon but dont display the logo on the top screen, sometimes if I incline the 3DS it shows up (need to move the cursor around and select it again to "refresh"), when attempting to open it it shows a message saying that the cartridge couldn't be read. The contacts are clean and shine, used very few times and it was left in the slot all the time. Already tried the paper trick but no results, what more I could try? (Sorry for the english).
Some pictures:
2018-07-01 17.43.32.png
2018-07-01 17.43.48.png
2018-07-01 17.43.14.png

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there, people! It's been a long time since I was last active here, it's great to see that GBAtemp is still around and evolving.
So, I'm having a problem with my 3DS XL, it has been a really long time since I last played on it and I wanted to get back and play Smash Bros, but the thing is that the system can't even open the game anymore, it shows the game icon but dont display the logo on the top screen, sometimes if I incline the 3DS it shows up (need to move the cursor around and select it again to "refresh"), when attempting to open it it shows a message saying that the cartridge couldn't be read. The contacts are clean and shine, used very few times and it was left in the slot all the time. Already tried the paper trick but no results, what more I could try? (Sorry for the english).
Some pictures:

Try cleaning the game cart slot. Use isopropyl rubbing alcohol and long wooden stick cotton swab. For the alcohol, 70% concentration is okay but 91% is preferred. Don't use anything weaker or stronger than those concentrations, only ~70% to 90% . MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE BATTERY AND WAIT FOR THE 3DS TO DISCHARGE!!!

If that doesn't work, see if you can use a different game cart. Check if maybe your O3DSXL has a failing reader.

images

nintendo-3ds-xl-review-6.jpg

Bean_BR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Try cleaning the game cart slot. Use isopropyl rubbing alcohol and long wooden stick cotton swab. For the alcohol, 70% concentration is okay but 91% is preferred. Don't use anything weaker or stronger than those concentrations, only ~70% to 90% . MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE BATTERY AND WAIT FOR THE 3DS TO DISCHARGE!!!

If that doesn't work, see if you can use a different game cart. Check if maybe your O3DSXL has a failing reader.

images

nintendo-3ds-xl-review-6.jpg
Already tried cleaning (the game card was used very few times, so it wasn't even dirty), tested a DS game and no issues, I'm dunno whats happening, no visible damage, never dropped it or anything. I'm upset because I take care of my things and it was hard to afford it here where I live, played it few times and now can't play it at all.
But thanks for the tips, anyway.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does sound like a contact issue (cart/slot being dirty is only one possible cause). Unless you have CFW on there maybe call nintendo support.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already tried cleaning (the game card was used very few times, so it wasn't even dirty), tested a DS game and no issues, I'm dunno whats happening, no visible damage, never dropped it or anything. I'm upset because I take care of my things and it was hard to afford it here where I live, played it few times and now can't play it at all.
But thanks for the tips, anyway.

Do you have any local 3DS friends to try your Super Smash Bros on their systems? Can you check if the problem happens with a different 3DS game cart?

By the way, is your 3DS hacked with custom firmware?

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm bumping this because my copy of smash bros 3DS ALSO stopped working....I just cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol and it looks flawless. Still won't work. Shows it's smash bros in the menu but the top screen banner won't load and gives me "this game card could not be read..."

It also doesn't work on my OG 3DS cobalt either.

EDIT: I'm dumping via Godmode9 and it looks to not be throwing any errors yet....edit: CIA dump had an error upon startup.

Shit.

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm bumping this because my copy of smash bros 3DS ALSO stopped working....I just cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol and it looks flawless. Still won't work. Shows it's smash bros in the menu but the top screen banner won't load and gives me "this game card could not be read..."

It also doesn't work on my OG 3DS cobalt either.

EDIT: I'm dumping via Godmode9 and it looks to not be throwing any errors yet....edit: CIA dump had an error upon startup.
Oh no. Seems the 3DS games are really getting issues.
@VinsCool got a blackscreen of death with Smash Bros 2½ years ago and it seems Smash Bros is indeed one of the problematic cartridges.
Somebody with experience in electronics should have a look at the PBCs and investigate this. I'm not experienced myself but I could do some basic tests and try a reflow on the ROM chip. (Un)fortunately I don't yet have a failed 3DS game. It would already be helpful to know if this is "just" bad solder joints (can be repaired) or failed chips (Game Over).

↑↑↑
Exactly this.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh no. Seems the 3DS games are really getting issues.
@VinsCool got a blackscreen of death with Smash Bros 2½ years ago and it seems Smash Bros is indeed one of the problematic cartridges.
Somebody with experience in electronics should have a look at the PBCs and investigate this. I'm not experienced myself but I could do some basic tests and try a reflow on the ROM chip. (Un)fortunately I don't yet have a failed 3DS game. It would already be helpful to know if this is "just" bad solder joints (can be repaired) or failed chips (Game Over).

↑↑↑
Exactly this.

My wife did some research on this and apparently, this may have to do with FLASHROM Vs. MASKROM. I can't remember but one of the formats only lasts half as long compared to the other. Smash 3DS may have used the latter format since others around the internet have said the same thing.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My wife did some research on this and apparently, this may have to do with FLASHROM Vs. MASKROM. I can't remember but one of the formats only lasts half as long compared to the other. Smash 3DS may have used the latter format since others around the internet have said the same thing.
Indeed. It seems 3DS carts use some kind of (write protected) Flash/NAND memory which isn't as durable as real ROM. So-called Card 2 games don't have a secondary chip for save data and save their progress in a special writable part of the "ROM" chip. I've never heard of spontaneous failure of Mask ROM.

Nevertheless I'm for investigating if the defective 3DS games are ROM failure (data corruption) or just loose connection on one or more of the solder joints.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    T @ Texasauras: admonish