• Replies 623
  • Likes 2

drobb

Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hate you nintendo right now. i litterally just got the purple one like yesterday. oh well, i may get this one on down the line. i tend to end up with all there portables anyways

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'll be the first to say that the DSi had a lot, a loooot, of good DSiWare. Just had to look. As for why...well...the DSi got more shit from people than the 3DS did at first. It wasn't popular.
It was 27 million units shipped (data from march this year) unpopular.

If you want to sell a console, you gotta serve content. No quality DSi-Only games = No Sales.

They had four times the RAM, twice the processing power and did f*ck all with it, let's be objective here.

Reactions: 2 people

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
i hate you nintendo right now. i litterally just got the purple one like yesterday. oh well, i may get this one on down the line. i tend to end up with all there portables anyways
I don't think this revision will have much impact on the 3DS. It's just bigger and more expensive.

As for battery life, top up extra for a 3DS battery extender, since the XL doesn't come with a charger. (which to me is extremely illogical)

OS, features and games are going to be the same. This 3DS XL will likely have stretched pixels.

Also, is the top screen White?? :O

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
EDIT: I hope they increase the resolution too. That was the DSiXL's biggest fault. Yeah, sure, bigger screen, but the games looked all pixelated. I hated playing Pokemon B/W on it.
They can't. Handheld games play at a fixed resolution. They wouldn't be able to achieve that without upscaling the image, and if they do that, they'll need additional horsepower, and in that case, they may as well create a successor. Not worth it.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Brace yourselves for the CPP XL!!

No seriously though dual analog isn't needed for any of the games on the system, you only need it if you're a leftie.
Which is why I don't get why Nintendo didn't include it, then again I don't think they want to piss people off like that.

The XL is bigger and makes games look ugly, I don't see the need to get this if you already have a standard 3DS with the exact same functions.

DS -> DS lite made the system smaller and the screens brighter.
This just makes it bigger...

Contrary to belief, the DSi XL actually looked really good. It scaled things very well.
The DS had more sprite based games, that's why it looked better.
Non anti aliased 3DS game screens on a computer look horrible for example, which wasn't the case with the DS if you scaled them properly.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be the first to say that the DSi had a lot, a loooot, of good DSiWare. Just had to look. As for why...well...the DSi got more shit from people than the 3DS did at first. It wasn't popular.
It was 27 million units shipped (data from march this year) unpopular.

If you want to sell a console, you gotta serve content. No quality DSi-Only games = No Sales.

They had four times the RAM, twice the processing power and did f*ck all with it, let's be objective here.
What are you talking about? It had Picture Perfect Hair Salon

Reactions: 3 people

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: I hope they increase the resolution too. That was the DSiXL's biggest fault. Yeah, sure, bigger screen, but the games looked all pixelated. I hated playing Pokemon B/W on it.
They can't. Handheld games play at a fixed resolution. They wouldn't be able to achieve that without upscaling the image, and if they do that, they'll need additional horsepower, and in that case, they may as well create a successor. Not worth it.
BAH! LIFE=RUINED!

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
In all seriousness the reason the 3DS XL doesn't have a second stick is quite simple.

Nintendo fucked up royally by not including a second stick in the first place. Second sticks are essential for any modern 3D game, this is fact, dont buy into the bullshit propaganda. The lessons learned from the PSP should have not been ignored, it was unbelievable that they were. Nintendo don't want to admit their mistake and further alienate early adopters. The 3DS' initial price point was bad enough, the ambassador program a joke and the CPP a slap in the face. If a second stick was included in the 3DS XL design you can be sure that it would be widely used, which would be yet another slap in the face for early adopters.

Reactions: 4 people

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So will this thing fix that design flaw where the bottom frame will scratch the top screen?
Aside from no 2nd circle pad, (huge Derp nintendo) this is actually even more of a worry. Larger screen= more damage danger. If they didn't address this and totally eliminate the issue, I may decide against buying.

D

Deleted User

OP
I'm annoyed but still it's awesome. I'm just wondering why they didn't put a second stick on it. Probably left it out for version 3.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Why wouldn't xl use flashcarts?
They forgot 2nd circle pad and camera flash.
Hopefully there's a power grip pro xl coming out.
That would be so huge lol
Wonder if that's the final design. Any word on specs like if the screens or cameras will be better?
Yes. It releases next month in japan. It must already be in production.
oh btw, it doesn't come with an AC Adapter, you have to own one already or buy one seperately... Retarded as shit.
and also just confirmed, no charging dock.
lol
I guess nints is serious about breaking even -- but this is a little bit irrational of them. A lot of bad publicity will be coming their way.

At least we can still use our DSi/3ds chargers for it.

Pinecallado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trying to decide...is a pocket boner worth the extra battery life?

Hahaha :D

But ds games will probably look horrible on this. Bigger screen size will mean blurrier resolution when ds games is in full screen mode.
No AC adapter included. You can shell out a bit more cash for a 3DS battery extender.

The smaller model will likely have a higher pixel density, same ol' features and games at $40 cheaper.

I guess what's the point of gaming on the go when you're trying to carry something that's almost the size of a ipad.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
You mean rendering the image at a higher resolution, but if they do that things like HUDs and sprites wouldn't be displayed properly resulting in weird graphical bugs in some games.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
The screen is the biggest drain on battery.

The screen is much bigger.

It's a miracle they've managed to improve battery life at all!!
No2Yh.jpg

The DSiXL had a better battery life than the DSi and was also bigger.
Why can't it happen on the 3DSXL? I want to know...

It's really, really logical. I'll try and make it simple

9-14 hours compared to 13-17 is less than 50% - 20% difference on lowest brightness settings

3-4 hours compared to 4-5 hours is 33% - 25% difference on the highest brightness settings

That's not a massive improvement by any stretch of the imagination. A 3D screen takes much more power than a 2D screen. A bigger 3D screen is therefore going to to take even more power so the effect of the bigger battery is going to be negated even further.

You'll be lucky to see 10-20% improvement on battery life. And those are your reasons why.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You mean rendering the image at a higher resolution, but if they do that things like HUDs and sprites wouldn't be displayed properly resulting in weird graphical bugs in some games.
No, I mean rendering the game in a resolution it was meant to be rendered and upscaling it. Like you said, the HUD's and everything that is not 3D content cannot be "just rendered" at a higher resolution - if the game was designed to work at a lower one then the best thing you can do is resize frames. Rendering at a higher resolution = like you said, glitching.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1