3DS will target hardcore gamers - Iwata

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
OP
Trophies
XP
3ds-black.jpg

Believe it, the 3DS will be targeting hardcore gamers. This was the battlecry of Nintendo President Satoru Iwata as he talked to Nikkei. According to him, they are planning on working closely with developers to "expand into elaborate games." All for, yes, you, serious gamer.

While he admits that most of the DS line-up of games have been for non-game players, he remains firm in his belief that the steps they took to move the graphics and gameplay forward will be changing this characterization soon.

And they're well on their way with that, too, as they've already confirmed that a Metal Gear Solid 3D title will be coming, as well as a Resident Evil game. Hard core.

Source

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing everyone didn't see coming.

The most notable E3 showcases were hardcore games, it's simple business logic that they'd want more of that attention.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
There's nothing more tiresome than self-declared 'hardcore' gamers. You're playing with electronic toys, it's a passtime that you indulge in for fun, there's nothing 'hardcore' about it no matter what type of games you play.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
There's nothing more tiresome than self-declared 'hardcore' gamers. You're playing with electronic toys, it's a passtime that you indulge in for fun, there's nothing 'hardcore' about it no matter what type of games you play.
While i agree a lot of gamers try to be snobby asses about their tastes in games, it's a term that has stuck, and even the industry uses now. You have to know the difference between a game like Imagine or Petz, and something like Mario or Zelda. I've never liked those games targeted towards non-gamers. I'm no snob with it, whatever makes you happy, but the market is way oversaturated with all those casual games now that it's hard to find any classic styled ones.

Great news on the Nintendo side of things. I think the developers needed to realize who got them where they are today- the classic style of games, or the hardcore if you want to throw that term around. It's not good to deliberately ignore the people who helped you to the top. That will come crashing down on you.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:

I too have had that revelation once or twice.

Like, is it really necessary to get to the next level?

Do I really need to get so many headshots in a single match?

Why do I need that 24x24 badge of approval?

How does this help me succeed in everyday life?

This is all just a waste of time.

But then I push those feelings deep inside, suck it up, and get on with "life".

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't know if Nintendo planned this (I imagine they did), but this seems like a great business decision. Draw the masses in with the DS, then get right back to the core audience who got them there in the first place.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's just a marketing ploy. The popularity of the DS has already sold the 3DS to the casual market. Nintendo are now trying to gain some sales from the self-proclaimed 'hardcore' gamers who eschew this casualness.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Depravo said:
Nintendo are now trying to gain some sales from the self-proclaimed 'hardcore' gamers who eschew this casualness.
I just hope they'll still try to gain some sales from the "casual" gamers who eschew pricey consoles.

If you know what I mean.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What happened to your "casual gamer regime"? it's dead and good fucking riddance! the 3ds ain't gonna be clogged with sw such as horse, cooking, ebook and imagine trash that's 4 sure! that's the reason i sold my ds early cos nothing but that shit.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
What happened to your "casual gamer regime"? it's dead and good fucking riddance! the 3ds ain't gonna be clogged with sw such as horse, cooking, ebook and imagine trash that's 4 sure! that's the reason i sold my ds early cos nothing but that shit.
Yes it will...

This was "Nintendo's" statement. Not "Ubisoft's"

3rd party developers can make whatever they want to make.

Besides, saying you're now "hardcore" doesn't count for much when you announce a new Nintendogs.

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Njrg said:
Bladexdsl said:
Yes it will...

Besides, saying you're now "hardcore" doesn't count for much when you announce a new Nintendogs.

Just because the main target is us, doesn't mean that they won't produce some games for the casual people too.
They probably realized that casual gamers only need a few games, while hardcore gamers need alot of games.
Also I like Nintendogs.
yaynds.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Neko said:
Njrg said:
Bladexdsl said:
Yes it will...

Just because the main target is us, doesn't mean that they won't produce some games for the casual people too.
They probably realized that casual gamers only need a few games, while hardcore gamers need alot of games.
Also I like Nintendogs.
yaynds.gif
I like Nintendogs too
wub.gif
It was my first (and the only for almost 6 months) Nintendo DS game
wub.gif

Casual games aren't that bad, I enjoy Wii Sports and the like, they just don't need to focus on them.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sometimes people think casual = shovelware. Wrong boys and girls.
Hardcore can be shovelware to!
I like both styles!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
naglaro00 said:
I'm hyped for DoA
smileipb2.png

QUOTE"In the end, I noticed that no one had shown a demo showcasing the motion sensing technology. When suddenly I heard a conversation from the DOA demo table: 'If you shake the system... yes, they jiggle.'" - Japanese investor

Just hope it doesn't turn into a Paradise title/

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sony and Microsoft are trying to steal some of Nintendo's casual market share with Move and Kinect, so Nintendo is trying to steal back some of its hardcore gamers. Nothing surprising at all. MS and Sony need to push their motion toys hard, or they'll probably fail against the long-standing Wii, and by doing so, they're gonna alienate some of their hardcore gamers that don't care for the new gimmicks.

Just Nintendo staying on the offensive as usual. Very good timing if you ask me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho that went wayyyy different than I thought it was going lol