Hacking 3DS unbricking progress

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mid January with 3dslink launcher.dat, I'm going to resolder and run your tool once again. Thanks!
This message could appear when SD adapter is not sufficiently embedded in the Raspberry's card reader...
The SD cable should have a max length of 25 cm in total, no more.

sirilo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it possible to downgrade the 3DS firmware using this unbricking method ?

if not, could someone explain whats the difference between what is being flashed on the unbricking process and where the current firmware is stored?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Would it possible to downgrade the 3DS firmware using this unbricking method ?

if not, could someone explain whats the difference between what is being flashed on the unbricking process and where the current firmware is stored?

No, this only unlocks a locked flash chip. It doesn't alter existing firmware. YOU CAN NOT EVER DOWNGRADE IF YOU HAVE NOT MADE A NAND BACKUP BEFORE UPDATING!

The ONLY way we will ever see downgrading without a backup happening is if someone completely cracked the encryption scheme used by the 3DS and wrote a program to retrieve the private key from the 3DS (it's unique to every unit produced) and in combination with the common key (likely not found yet either) re-encrypt a 4.5 or older firmware to a perticular 3DS unit.

If that condition is met we will already have some kind of CFW anyways or not even have a need to downgrade because at that point we can sign and encrypt whatever software we want (including homebrew and rom loaders) and it will run as if it was an official Nintendo app. The 3DS won't know the differance.

However this is HIGHLY UNLIKELY TO EVER HAPPEN!. So please stop asking about this.

Reactions: sirilo and bkifft

r5xscn

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hi everyone my 3DS XL is still bricked after tried unbricking with Arduino Uno.
I tried multiple setups:
1. With 74HC125 and 1117-3.3 for voltage converter and this LC Soft SD card module circuit (I created my own http://www.element14.com/community/servlet/JiveServlet/download/40595-65625/lcsoft SD module.pdf).
Result: Sometimes detected, but with CID 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...
2. With CD4050BE and 1117-3.3 for voltage converter and this LC Soft SD card module circuit (I created my own http://www.element14.com/community/servlet/JiveServlet/download/40595-65625/lcsoft SD module.pdf).
Result: Never detected. After unwiring my 3DS won't turn on at all. To turn it on I need to connect the charger and battery to my 3DS -> strange (battery voltage is 4.13v).
3. Wire it to SD adapter and connect it to Laptop SD card reader.
Result: Not detected at all.
4. Modified my Arduino Uno to work at 3.3V and wire it directly to 3DS with some capacitors and pull ups from http://www.element14.com/community/servlet/JiveServlet/download/40595-65625/lcsoft SD module.pdf).
Result: Never detected.

Anyone can help me reviving my 3DS from death, and the battery problem? Thanks.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hi everyone my 3DS XL is still bricked after tried unbricking with Arduino Uno.
I tried multiple setups:
1. With 74HC125 and 1117-3.3 for voltage converter and this LC Soft SD card module circuit (I created my own http://www.element14.com/community/servlet/JiveServlet/download/40595-65625/lcsoft SD module.pdf).
Result: Sometimes detected, but with CID 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...
2. With CD4050BE and 1117-3.3 for voltage converter and this LC Soft SD card module circuit (I created my own http://www.element14.com/community/servlet/JiveServlet/download/40595-65625/lcsoft SD module.pdf).
Result: Never detected. After unwiring my 3DS won't turn on at all. To turn it on I need to connect the charger and battery to my 3DS -> strange (battery voltage is 4.13v).
3. Wire it to SD adapter and connect it to Laptop SD card reader.
Result: Not detected at all.
4. Modified my Arduino Uno to work at 3.3V and wire it directly to 3DS with some capacitors and pull ups from http://www.element14.com/community/servlet/JiveServlet/download/40595-65625/lcsoft SD module.pdf).
Result: Never detected.

Anyone can help me reviving my 3DS from death, and the battery problem? Thanks.

IIRC the ardiuno uno is not compatible, not sure what's going on with your battery though

Try get hold of a raspberry pi seems a lot more user friendly :) as you dint have a bunch of possible causes for incompatibility

Reactions: r5xscn

jinnpan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to report I have done 34/34 successful unbricks and have 3 more in the way. I'm using Raspberry.

jinnpan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I have a problem with 3dsunbrick... while running I have this error:

EMMC: resetting controller
CMD0: idle
CMD1(0) : init and querry OCR
CMD1(0x00FF8080) : repeat untill ready
CMD2: CID and id mode

Warning! The CID is an unique serialnumber which might be traceable. Do not publish it in any way!
CID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

CMD3: assign RCA and standby mode
CMD9: get CSD

CSD: 00900F00320F5903B9FFFF87FF964050

CMD7: switch to transfer mode
CMD13: get status register
MMC status: 0x02000900

MMC is locked.

CMD16: setting blocklength to 16
CMD42: unlock and clear password
SD_send_int: error occured whilst waiting for transfer complete interrupt
SD_init: error sending CMD42, error = 00200000. Giving up.

(D)edication | (S)afe run (Querry only) | (U)nbrick (Safe) | (Q)uit

maybe something wrong with my solder points? thanks in advance.

Did you put the small plastic piece that locks and an unlocks the SD reader from writing to it?
You can add a small piece of tape across to enable writing to the SD adapter.

mirakl577

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

I got a brick of my 3ds XL with r4i deluxe card and unfortunately haven't made nand backup, is there any way to unbrick it ?

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Reactions: gamesquest1

mirakl577

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
oh, I have one more question, can I use anything else instead of raspberry pi device, maybe notebook for example, because I don't have it yet ?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
oh, I have one more question, can I use anything else instead of raspberry pi device, maybe notebook for example, because I don't have it yet ?
Only a ardiuno....not to say its impossible to use anything else, just that you would have to do all the work yourself and it wouldn't be as easy or straight forwards as using the raspberry pi

Reactions: bkifft

ryuga93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Only a ardiuno....not to say its impossible to use anything else, just that you would have to do all the work yourself and it wouldn't be as easy or straight forwards as using the raspberry pi
For the arduino a logic converter IC (I MEAN AN IC CHIP) is needed, I have tested with 2 sd shield that uses IC to step down the voltage but not working...All the connections are fine cuz the NAND can be detected with RPI.

Razorbacktrack

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello to everyone!

I converted my teensy 2.0++ (with voltage regulator) with teensyduino,i soldered it to the 3ds xl,I connected the teensy to the pc and powered on the 3ds using the battery. This is what I have with serial monitor:

Enabled outputs/inputs
Initialized SPI with 250khz frequency
Waiting the minimum 80 cycles for warm up
Keeping CS line on low for communication
Reset command sent on MOSI, but no answer from the slave. Please check your card connection/soldering
Initialization failed
Retrying...
Enabled outputs/inputs
Initialized SPI with 250khz frequency
Waiting the minimum 80 cycles for warm up
Keeping CS line on low for communication
Reset command sent on MOSI, but no answer from the slave. Please check your card connection/soldering
Initialization failed
Retrying...

Initialization failed after several retries

What should I do? I noticed that the GND is different in the arduino uno schematic,but the result is the same

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la