3DS titles could cost three times as much to make!?

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaydrian said:
...I can see just as much shovelware, if costs are high then a lot of companies may just skip with quality control and try to do them as cheaply as possible...
^This...

And honestly, I don't think any of us Pirates have any argument when it comes to game prices. Even if there is a price hike, we had it coming!
Going back to the days of the SNES, my Mum begrudgingly paid £50 for Star Fox. I don't mind paying for decent games if I have to.

Chaz.

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd wait for the preowned version
tongue.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sick of threads like this, where someone sees a placeholder price on an australian website or a scaremongering article like this and everyone's suddenly "OMG I can't beleev the 3DS is going to cost 900 dollars US and the games are going to be the same price as Neo Geo games, what are we going to do!?"

Since when have development costs been directly correlated to retail price? DS development costs and the costs of manufacturing the carts have fallen significantly since the first dev kits went out. Are new DS games released in 2010 significantly less than they were in 2005? Go and look at Xbox 360 games on the shelf of your local games store. Have a look at something like Call of Duty: Black Ops and imagine the huge development budget that went into that game. Now have a look around and find a game that you think had a smaller development budget, maybe something like Hasbro Family Game Night. I think it's probably no exaggeration to say that the budget for Black Ops was hundreds, maybe even thousands of times that of Hasbro Family Games Night. So it should be no surprise that Hasbro Family Games Night costs $10 and Black Ops costs $1000, right? No, wait, hang on. That's not how it fucking works, is it? And movie-budget games nowadays are around the same price as SNES games were, the same price PS1 games were, the same price PS2 games were. The fact the PS3 has better graphics, the games have bigger budgets and are larger, take more time, effort and equipment to make, none of this has had any radical influence on the price of games any more than Avatar's huge and expensive development process made it cost 5 times more than Date Movie to see at the cinema or buy on DVD.

You see that huge list of developers that was released at E3, all those games companies desperate to work on the system? If Nintendo told devs that their games were going to have to retail for over $100 dollars, that line up would fit on a postage stamp. Think about things for half a second before you all do your Chicken Little impersonations.

I mean, even reading the original post should have made a penny drop.

QUOTE said:
Statistics from Tokyo Game Show organiser CESA reveal that producing a game for the DS in 2009 cost between $53,000 (£33k) and $527,000 (£329k). PSP development stood at between $36,000 (£22k) and $710,000 (£444k), Wii releases up to $1.4m (£875k), and PS3 and Xbox 360 games as much as $3m (£1.8m).

So 360 games can costs up to 6 times more to develop than the most expensive DS game. How much are 360 games compared to DS games again? 6 times as much?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to keep banging on about this, but every time I read this post it seems even dumber. Even if those 3DS dev cost estimations are right, it's still half of what it costs to develop a PS3 or 360 title. So why isn't the topic

"3DS titles could cost half the price of 360 games!?"

Then instead of going "OMG Nintendo is so stupid I'm not gonna get it, I hope we can pirate"

We can go

"OMG this is amazing, Fallout New Vegas can be bought for £22 already, so I'll be able to get 3DS games for £11, I'm gonna get them all!"!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Let's put it this way, all movie tickets cost more or less the same, regardless of how much the movie cost to make.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
injected11 said:
OMGWTFBBQ! Quick everyone! Make up a number, then rage about how you aren't willing to pay it!
*ahem*

One grillion dollars.

I'm not paying that much! Never!
hate2.gif
angry.gif

arogance1

Trophies
XP
Country
Arnold Schwarzenegger said:
Think of it movie-wise like different films have different budgets but you're still going to pay the same amount no matter which movie you see. But yes I think they could up the prices a little, I'm expecting that.

Here in the UK you have to pay an extra £10 to watch a film in 3d

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ojsinnerz. said:
Canonbeat234 said:
3DS is a money blackhole!
Oh please. Any hobby involving technology or entertainment will eat away your money.

Besides, most of the users here will be pirating anyway.

How? They say its not possible to hack or whatever. Else Ninty will update.

I do not believe the price will be higher than €50,- Thats not possible.

Nintendo ds does not eat your money!
smileipb2.png

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
gameboy13 said:
If it costs three times as much t make titles for the 3DS, maybe there won't be as much shovelware. You know there would be tons of gimmicky 3D crap.
Well the numbers listed were max ones, the DS's range goes quite low (probably for an already-established company that already has a dev kit), we can expect to see shovelware once companies get a bit established in the DS scene and have a few engines to toss around and license to smaller companies.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I was hyped to get 3DS in March but I think I'm going to wait for the inevitable 2nd model.
By that time it should all be a bit cheaper and there might even be a way of running backups.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Increase? Yeah, no doubt. Increase drastically from what I'm used to now? Most likely. Double? It's a possibility; a very small one. Triple? No way at all.

For a Southern Californian such as myself, if a game were to be $34.99 x 3, that would amount to around $105. Take our near-ten percent tax of that and the total price is raised to about $115. There's no way in hell they're charging over one hundred dollars for a single game. I'll pass up the 3DS completely if it's over $50.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lightning said:
ojsinnerz. said:
Canonbeat234 said:
3DS is a money blackhole!
Oh please. Any hobby involving technology or entertainment will eat away your money.

Besides, most of the users here will be pirating anyway.

How? They say its not possible to hack or whatever. Else Ninty will update.

I do not believe the price will be higher than €50,- Thats not possible.

Nintendo ds does not eat your money!
smileipb2.png

Obviously Nintendo are going to say their device is unhackable! it's so you buy games before it happens
tongue.gif
Sony said the same thing I believe and look whats happened now. What do you want them to say? "yeah our device will be hacked within a year!"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, tommorrow is my birthday :toot: