Homebrew 3DS Theme Question

TheWrathofRevan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, everyone. I've been working on some 3DS themes, but I can't seem to find a good way to make high quality sound effects. Is there some sort of tutorial that I can use? I've used tutorials involving the Nintendo SDK, but when I convert the files and play them, they all sound off-tune, which is definitely not a good thing. If anyone knows a good answer to this, I would appreciate it. Also, since I'm new to these forums, if this thread belongs somewhere else, I'll happily move it. Thank you in advance.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
That's exactly what I followed, but all of my CWAVS sound horrible.
Are you using a lossless source (FLAC, WAV, etc.)? If not, then you should know that transcoding from lossy to lossy is always going to produce a degradation in quality. Oh, and don't try to transcode lossy to lossless either. That'll make it even worse.

Last edited by Joom,

TheWrathofRevan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using a lossless source (FLAC, WAV, etc.)? If not, then you should know that transcoding from lossy to lossy is always going to produce a degradation in quality. Oh, and don't try to transcode lossy to lossless either. That'll make it even worse.
I have no idea what any of that means. Like I've said, I'm really new to this kind of stuff, so please bear with me.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea what any of that means. Like I've said, I'm really new to this kind of stuff, so please bear with me.
FLAC, WAV, ALAC, and so on, are all lossless audio formats. MP3, OGG, M4A, WMA, etc. are lossy formats. They don't retain the same quality as lossless, and transcoding ("converting") them to another lossy format or even lossless will just result in a major loss in quality. You should always transcode lossless to lossless, or lossless to lossy.
http://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-difference-between-lossy-and-lossless-compression/

Last edited by Joom,

TheWrathofRevan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FLAC, WAV, ALAC, and so on, are all lossless audio formats. MP3, OGG, M4A, WMA, etc. are lossy formats. They don't retain the same quality as lossless, and transcoding ("converting") them to another lossy format or even lossless will just result in a major loss in quality. You should always transcode lossless to lossless, or lossless to lossy.
http://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-difference-between-lossy-and-lossless-compression/
This kinda helps... I think. Now all I need to know is this: are .aiff files lossy, or are they lossless?

Edit: Yes, my sound effect files are .aiff. They came that way, and I doubt I can find them in any other format on the internet.

Last edited by TheWrathofRevan,

TheWrathofRevan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I should have been more specific. What I want to convert is a .wav to .cwav. Since .aiffs can either be lossy or lossless, I'll be fine in what you were trying to help with. Thank you for trying, though. What I really need to know is if there's a converter to .cwav.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Not that I'm aware of. That's most likely a proprietary codec. What's the bitrate on these? You can check with a proper media player like VLC.

Edit: Never mind, that actually won't help. Have you tried converting them to OGG and going from there?

Last edited by Joom,

TheWrathofRevan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, sorry for not replying for so long. No, I actually haven't done that. I could try that, though. What would I do after converting to .ogg?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, if I had known that CWAV wasn't so proprietary that a specific tool was required, then I would have recommended using something else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm