[Tutorial]Creating a 3ds custom theme from scratch with YATA+ v1.1

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by exelix11, Jul 26, 2015.

?

Would you like a some videos on how to make themes ?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2015.
  1. Yes, they would be useful

90.0%
  2. No, i don't need to

10.0%
  1. exelix11
    OP

Member exelix11 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    Download YATA+ from here

Before starting, let's answer a question:
    Can a custom theme brick my 3ds ?
    answer here

Hi,In this guide we are going to make 3 different themes from scratch, one with a static image on the top and the bottom, one like the simple color themes and one like the Mood Matrix one.

First, these are the sizes of the images nedded for making a theme:

-Image sizes:

TOP SCREEN TEXTURES:

If the top screen texture is static, the image needs to be 512x256px and the drawable area is 412x240px (From top left).
    If the top screen texture scrolls, the image needs to be 1024x256px and the drawable area is 1008x240px.
    If you are using the solid color o solid color with texture settings both the top screen image (Foreground, moving) and the the top screen "simple" background , must be 64x64 GREYSCALE, And must be rotated 90° Clockwise

BOTTOM SCREEN TEXTURES:

If the bottom screen texture is static, the image needs to be 512x256px and the drawable area is 320x240px.
    If the bottom screen texture scrolls, the image needs to be 1024x256px and the drawable area is 1008x240px.
    If the bottom screen texture is animated, the image needs to be 1024x256px and is split into three separate 320x240px frames.

MENU ITEMS:

CLOSED FOLDER: the image needs to be 128x64px and the drawable area is 74x64px.
    OPENED FOLDER: the image needs to be 128x64px and the drawable area is 82x64px.
    BIG APPLICATION ICON: the image needs to be 64x128px and the drawable area is 36x72px.
    LITTLE APPLICATION ICON: the image needs to be 32x64px and the drawable area is 20x50px.

Make sure to have your images ready before making the theme, so open YATA+ and click on File -> new and select where to save the theme

-Top screen:

Panoramic or static image

Solid colors (the simple 3ds color theme)

Solid colors /w textures (Mood matrix)

-Bottom screen:

3-frames animated ,panoramic image or static image

Solid colors

-Icons:

Icons

-Sounds:

WARNING: AFTER CREATING OR IMPORTING A CWAV CHUNK YOU MUST SAVE THE THEME AND RE-OPEN IT IN YATA Not anymore, YATA+ v1.2 automatically reloads the theme

Background music

SFX

Installing themes
    REMEMBER THAT IF YOUR THEME DOESN’T HAVE BACKGROUND MUSIC YOU MUST DISABLE THE “Enable BGM” FLAG IN THE THEME SETTINGS

And those are the 3 themes that I made by doing this guide (those are screenshot from a 3ds not from the emulator) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by exelix11, Aug 5, 2016
    deoxys101, Dartz150, Pluupy and 19 others like this.

2. justinbug2

Member justinbug2 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    thanks want to learn how to make themes

3. justinbug2

Member justinbug2 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    how do i shrink the pictures and stuff to that size?

4. SomeGamer

Member SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Bermuda
    Just use an image editor. I recommend Photoshop or GIMP, but Paint works fine for this job, too.

5. EpicInki

Member EpicInki GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Great guide, I'm attempting to make a Rainbow Dash Theme because why not, I just spent about 2 hours? I don't know making a unique style based on my background, I finally did it right (I think) and also the top bit so it can scroll, I hope I did it right: [​IMG]
    EDIT:I need a little help though, it seems it doesn't want to simulate scrolling, so I guess it's not implemented (nor in latest version which I just downloaded after this).
    Also what is the drawable area mean? like on top screen etc. On the new version the H is cut off some reason.

Last edited by EpicInki, Jul 29, 2015
  6. SomeGamer

Bermuda
    The drawable area means that anything outside it will be invisible on the 3DS.

7. EpicInki

Member EpicInki GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Oh right, I guess I'd best be fixing my work ;3
    EDIT: Honestly I really am enjoying making a theme, and when I can do the OOT Exploit I will be using it :D Here is bottom screen: [​IMG]
    Anyone got any recommendations for Rainbow Dash music? no? Idk
    EDIT2: Does music have to be less than 3mb? Because I just sneaked past a 9mb into a BRSTC etc and it plays on YATA Plus as a BGM.bcstm, not sure whether it will work on the actual 3DS though...

Last edited by EpicInki, Jul 29, 2015
    xWaterLily and SomeGamer like this.
  8. gudenau

Member gudenau Never a unique idea

United States
    Can this make a CIA?

9. SomeGamer

Bermuda
    I think it can't, or at least not directly.

10. xWaterLily

Newcomer xWaterLily Member

United Kingdom
    Is it possible to simulate things like folders or panoramic screens?

EDIT : Thank you for the guide I have been looking from something like this for weeks, wonderful job. Perhaps a little little video series on actually creating a themes inside a photo editing program would be cool. Just to give a people an idea of a possible way of doing it

EDIT 2 : I am almost giving up hope with all this custom thing stuff. I'm trying to make a Persona Q theme and it's just getting to the point where it's frustrating. I'm using ninjhaxs 2.0 for this (frimware 9.9) and starting that up is crazy as I normally get a white screen/blue screen and have to reset 2-4 times until I get the menu.

I would like to have multiple themes so I starting trying to use CHMM but that's another frustrating experience as loading it creates an error "ATP:A lock handle" after restarting alot of times to get pass that I got this -> Error: [string "?"]91:error writing file which leaves me with no option then to restart and have a blank theme.

There has to be another way to see what the theme looks like on an actual 3DS without all of that
    I have done my best to find out about these errors but not having much luck with that to be honest...

Am I doing something wrong?
    Also when I see people's themes they tend to have amazing resolution or the quality is just very sharp why is that?
    I can't seem to get that effect without recreating/drawing the designs myself

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Last edited by xWaterLily, Jul 30, 2015
  11. exelix11
    OP

Italy
    Maybe i can make some videos, but for me would require much time (both for making the video and for uploading, in italy the internet connections sucks), i could try to make them,if many users wants to.

When you install a theme with a bgm from ninjhax 2, before installing the theme you must open the theme setting and set the theme on one of the standard colors, i think this is a issue of ninjhax 2 or some kind of protection that nintendo added in 9.3+

As for the resolution i don't know, when scaling an image you lose resolution, may be there are some methods to resize without losing quality that i don't know, or they just draw or search for images of the right size

12. exelix11
    OP

Italy
    just added a poll to make videos, vote if you are interested

xWaterLily likes this.
  13. xWaterLily

Newcomer xWaterLily Member

United Kingdom
    How does one find a sound file like this :

The WAV file should be at a minimum 22.050 kHz, 16 Bit in quality and have stereo sound [This is a standard to prevent garbled sound]
    The max file size of the bcstm must be 3.371.008 bytes (or 3.3MB)

Also how do you check if it theme things?

14. exelix11
    OP

Italy
    Yata+ v1.2 just released, download it from HERE

15. Hybrixe

Newcomer Hybrixe Member

Netherlands
    Thanks for the tutorial and the great tool! This is the final result:

[​IMG]

It features custom background music and custom SFX! You can find it on 3DSThemes

ferofax likes this.
  16. Hyperstar96

Member Hyperstar96 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't know if this is the right place to report bugs, but I'll talk about one anyway since there's a manual fix and some people might run into it:

If you disable custom borders, save, and then try to re-enable them, saving will cause an exception at 39% and you won't be able to re-enable them. But if you highlight each border and import an image onto each one (then edit the images to be the correct sizes), then enabling custom borders + saving will work again. I just thought I'd mention that since I just ran into it and briefly thought I was screwed. The same might also be true for custom folders, but I haven't tried it.

On a slightly-related note, I'm currently working on a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 theme. Thanks for the program!

17. exelix11
    OP

Italy
    that's not a bug, you're trying to save a theme with custom borders enabled without any custom border inside, when disabled from the settings, the custom borders that the theme contains are deleted to save space, after you re-enable it you must import the new borders, because the older ones doesn't exists anymore

18. Varia

Member Varia GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    OK seems like I've screwed up my emunand.
    Tried importing my theme and now it gets stuck every time I go into gateway/classic mode.
    Tried entering data managment on systemnand, but that didn't work (nands aren't linked).
    What can I do now? I'd rather not format my emunand (luckily I have backups of all my saves), too much of a hassle.

Edit: is the the theme data in the extra data folder?
    If so, what other data is stored there?

Last edited by Varia, Aug 7, 2015
  19. Zephir1991

Member Zephir1991 GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Great tool, helped me so much. The only semi-hard part was to convert the Music. c;

20. Varia

Member Varia GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    OK, after deleting the extra data folder everything worked fine.

And it seems like the issue was my bgm file which corrupted my theme (using a bgm from a different theme works fine).
    Any idea what's the matter with it?
    Here's a download for it:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/z6062flvxaog2o0/bgm.bcstm