Gaming 3ds system update 5.1.0-11 tonight

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Just to clarify:
The update auto-downloads if wifi is on while in sleep mode, it also installs in some cases BUT it won't activate and replace your current firmware until you've pressed A and confirmed it.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Just to clarify:
The update auto-downloads if wifi is on while in sleep mode, it also installs in some cases BUT it won't activate and replace your current firmware until you've pressed A and confirmed it.

there was no Press A to proceed, you are greeted by the message, your system was successfully updated, that's it
there where on sleep mode for almost 18 hours

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Whether the update is even downloaded or not and/or how far it gets depends on your 3DS settings.

I'd make a thread about it, but I don't have a 3DS so I'm not sure exactly which settings affect which steps. I just know that turning all *pass and download and wifi stuff off makes it unable to update automatically.

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Whether the update is even downloaded or not and/or how far it gets depends on your 3DS settings.

I'd make a thread about it, but I don't have a 3DS so I'm not sure exactly which settings affect which steps. I just know that turning all *pass and download and wifi stuff off makes it unable to update automatically.

what is a 3DS without spotpass and streetpass and WiFi tho

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
there was no Press A to proceed, you are greeted by the message, your system was successfully updated, that's it
there where on sleep mode for almost 18 hours
That has never happened to me or anyone besides you from what I've seen. Last time the update installed in sleepmode for me, as soon as I opened the 3DS and hit A it was ready in an instant because it had already installed it in the background. However if you don't hit A you're still on the same firmware but with the "a new update" message appearing at random when turning it on/off or when starting new software. So pressing B stops it from applying the new firmware even if it's already installed, I used to do that with my regular 3DS.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I can put my XL to the test, I have everything enabled on it but I'm still not on 5.1.0-11. I'll leave it in sleepmode and see what happens.

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
That has never happened to me or anyone besides you from what I've seen. Last time the update installed in sleepmode for me, as soon as I opened the 3DS and hit A it was ready in an instant because it had already installed it in the background. However if you don't hit A you're still on the same firmware but with the "a new update" message appearing at random when turning it on/off or when starting new software. So pressing B stops it from applying the new firmware even if it's already installed, I used to do that with my regular 3DS.

its not only me that has this with 5.1.0-11
jpxdude had this also
maybe its a british thing

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
its not only me that has this with 5.1.0-11
jpxdude had this also
maybe its a british thing
I have a EU 3DS, bought from the UK (which doesn't matter) and my region is set to UK because I get eShop refills from Wizerzak.
The message you saw was the confirmation message and it can be bypassed. The firmware is already installed at that point but not enabled until you press A.

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
I have a EU 3DS, bought from the UK (which doesn't matter)
The message you saw was the confirmation message and it can be bypassed. The firmware is already installed at that point but not enabled until you press A.

yes i understand that, but what i am saying is that did not happen
the consoles had obviously reset themselves after applying

there was no Press B
just a
"System Update Completed Successfully, Press A to Continue" no Press B Option

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
OK then I'll leave mine in sleepmode for a few hours.
Maybe it glitched on your part, this firmware is supposed to fix the install errors people got with the previous one after all so it's basically the exact same update. (or maybe that has something to do with it? The fact that it doesn't bring any new features. Confirming the last update maybe is enough for them to allow themselves to install something "identical" without asking for your permission again?)

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
what is a 3DS without spotpass and streetpass and WiFi tho
You can still use streetpass safely if you delete all 3 connection settings and stay away from att* wifi hotspots. (local multi-player can update you too iirc)

*don't know the equivalent of att in uk.

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I haven't had any forced update this night, and my 3DS is in sleep mode for at least 2 days now.

Even if I was on 5.0.0-11, it actually asked me if I would update.

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
OK then I'll leave mine in sleepmode for a few hours.
Maybe it glitched on your part, this firmware is supposed to fix the install errors people got with the previous one after all so it's basically the exact same update. (or maybe that has something to do with it? The fact that it doesn't bring any new features. Confirming the last update maybe is enough for them to allow themselves to install something (identical) without asking for your permission again?)

possibly, as it doesnt appear to block flashcards , but more need testing to confirm that, maybe any it confirms that had an error are automatic or something, tho i did read only NATIVE_FIRM and CVer were updated, no other titles were updated.so means was nothing major apart from a firmware tweak and a number increase

I haven't had any forced update this night, and my 3DS is in sleep mode for at least 2 days now.

Even if I was on 5.0.0-11, it actually asked me if I would update.

yes but it appears to be a new thing since 5.0.0-11
as my ones had always asked before this update

You can still use streetpass safely if you delete all 3 connection settings and stay away from att* wifi hotspots. (local multi-player can update you too iirc)

*don't know the equivalent of att in uk.

oh its doesnt matter, i update these 2 anyway, they cant update the other 3 i have ;D

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had to update cause they didn't let me finish downloading harmoknight.
me too... i put some demos to download in sleep mode last night, and today they hadnt downladed a bit and i had a notification that i need to download a new update to finish downloading... i even cancelled it and then installed it manually...

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
BTW my old 3DS that I'm keeping on 4.3 I just add/remove a letter from the SSID in the settings whenever I need too. It's pretty handy even if you'll likely just use the wifi switch most of the time.'

(local multi-player can update you too iirc)
Yes. Luigi's Mansion 2 comes with 4.5 and updating is required for download play.

Reactions: Pong20302000

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
For all it's worth, this morning, my 3DS asked me if I wanted to update, too. And it had downloaded the update already, without installing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu