Homebrew 3DS: ssspwn exploit works on firmware 8.x, Smealum hopes for a release “soon”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah well nothing like my laptop or smartphone, but yeah why not, if people feel like 3DS should have a media player I'm not gonna go against it, I would personnally enjoy a good music player that'd support many formats and tags on the music, if that comes with a video support I won't say no...

noki@

Trophies
XP
Country
LOL and there was I looking for a firmware <4.5 (which I got) and it looks like they might be other ways to hack the 3DS... I am hoping for a N64 Emulator I would love to play the Phantom Menace pod racing game lol.... That was so cool

Also 3D films :) Just like I used to on my HTC

Reactions: Idaho

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
LOL and there was I looking for a firmware <4.5 (which I got) and it looks like they might be other ways to hack the 3DS... I am hoping for a N64 Emulator I would love to play the Phantom Menace pod racing game lol.... That was so cool

Also 3D films :) Just like I used to on my HTC

Hell yeah I also had pretty fun times on this game, Rogue Squadron 3D and Battle for Naboo were also quite epic Star Wars games B-)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i wonder if ssspwn uses any 3ds game :/ (on wii the name of the hack did mean something...)

mrolive

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What are the chances the Gateway team reverse engineers this exploit to be used for piracy?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well seeing as smealum was saying he was concerned about releasing it due to piracy i would say there may be a slim chance, but he also said this in itself would not allow piracy....if anything i think it could only be used to help exploring for other hacks

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I sincerely hope they never do reverse-engineer it.
It'll be fairly easy to reverse engineer the exploit once it's released, but the problem is that it is, as Smea said, not able to, in its current form, break the 3DS security to the point of allowing kernel access. As a result, even if Gateway, or another team, does find a few other uses for it, it won't be able to mount or disable the card protection checks or take over the 3DS kernel.

The point is that it is an exploit, but not the exploit that the pirates are looking for. It will, however, allow for most of what we want on a homebrew front.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally hope Gateway do reverse-engineer it, they're the only people with the abilities to hack the 3DS for piracy, that are willing to do so anyway.

They can't be the only ones, other people will be able to do them, I personally wouldn't rely on them alone. Gateway can reverse-engineer all they want, but it wouldn't be of any use due to the 3DS' security for complete kernel access.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm staying on 6.1 until either Smea or Gateway release a 6.x+ exploit.
Though the Kexploit was the only thing closed in 5.x, and the NDSet usermode exploit was closed in 7.x, there also haven't been any other real exploits closed since then that we've been informed of. As a result, it should be relatively safe of an assumption to make that you can update to 8.x and still have access to whatever exploit will, at some point in the future, be needed to completely take over the kernel in any of the +4.5 kernels. Basically, Nintendo isn't really known for searching for exploits and patching them before they're publicly found and released anyway. As a result, they should be available as long as they aren't released.

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country
This is only my personal opinion but I stop the caring for 3DS hack and the region block issue. I own JPN and US 3DS. Import Japanese many expensive be cause sa ly I live in USA now..., So now I only rely on 3DS USA because such names like Senran Kagura, Bravely Default, Project Mirai become available. But !! I still wish they are bring Konami game ラビリンスの彼方(Labyrinth no Kanata) to USA. Then become very satisfied. I will not lie, I will keep eye on 3DS exploit progress. I too want very useful media program on 3DS.

Short ver: I start care little for 3DS exploit. Now I know how USA gamer are feel with localization of Japanese games lol

Reactions: SLiV3R

Dyshonest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and is working hard to make the 3DS scene a good thing...
3 years in progress and nothing (useful?) released whatsoever, just possible shopped pictures and gloating. :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
3 years in progress and nothing (useful?) released whatsoever, just possible shopped pictures and gloating. :)
read that post above yours....why do people seem to think creating the stuff is the exact same thing as clicking download on stuff....if you have never hacked a console your self, not just downloading a cfw installer and following a step by step tutorial, i suggest you keep your opinions about how easy it should be to yourselves....you obviously don't understand the half of it

Reactions: setsuya and Idaho
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4vARy44iY