3ds soaked with apple juice.

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Loffah, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Loffah
    OP

Loffah Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2013
    Norway
    Arendal, Norway
    Hello guys.
    So my nephew soaked my 3ds with low firmware in apple juice. And now i need to send it to Nintendo repair shop in Norway.
    I fear that they will change hardware and probably update because fuck you customer.
    Will i be able to downgrade again as i got sys nand file on my computer? How depressing isn't this ? :mellow:

2. berichan

berichan Member

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2014
    Providing they don't update it past 9.2 or if they don't give you a new motherboard/device then yes, you can flash your backup nand to it. The likelihood of them not simply switching a water-damaged motherboard, however, is low.

3. aos10

aos10 how i fotochop?

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    once they update it there is no way to downgrade it

maybe if you have a backup for your nand ? i don't know how this working

4. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    Buy a new console, it will surely be cheaper.

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Yeah, it'll A. be an expensive repair and B. They'll most likely switch the motherboard and update it, making the backup useless. Buying a new one is your best bet, unfortunately.

Piepokemon likes this.
  6. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    What part is damaged? What does and doesn't it do now?

7. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'd slap yer nephew and drown him in apple juice.

On a more serious note, go on ebay/second hand game stores and get a 4.5 or 9.2 (if ya got a gateway) 3DS.
    I think the units that are on the shelves in gameshops are below 9.0 or on 9.0.

8. Loffah
    OP

Loffah Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2013
    Norway
    Arendal, Norway
    I havent even tryed to start it at i can imagen this doing more damage than anything. It was off when it got damaged. It is basically full of juice. Even on the inside of the screens. It's all stiff at this point tho.

They got a guaranty on the official Nintendo sites that it won't cost more than 70 euro or something i believe.

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    firstly i would say, try open it all up, and put it in a safe place to dry out (all the usual bag of rice stuff might help)
    leave it about a week or 2 to completely dry out

then test it, in all fairness at 70 euro, you could probably get yourself a replacement 3DS and sell the faulty one for spares to cover the difference, at least then you know you have a 9.2 or lower console......ninty repairs are already being shipped with 9.4
    http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/286732-3ds-was-updated-to-9-4-by-nintendo-repairs

its prett much standard repair center policies to update to the latest FW during any repair

tyons and omegart like this.
  10. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    From personal experience, I once f# up my DS Lite with vodka, which also contains a lot of sugar. Instead of going for Ninytendo, I took it to a reputable independent repairman. Lo and behold, he scrubbed my motherboard until it had no more sugar and repaired a few solders and I used the DS for another year. Sure, wages here are lower so maybe it wouldn't be ideal for you, but you should definitely check first.

oscarandjo likes this.
  11. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    listen to gamesquest1

I don't know Europe, but the U.S. has tons of local cellphone/console repair shops that specialize in this sort of thing. I have even seen a trend of mom and pop jewelry stores having these services as a side business. May not be much cheaper than Nintendo but they will understand you not wanting to update.

I would imagin with the N3DS the prices will decline further on the 3DS as well shortly.

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Loffah Since the 3DS was off it's likely most of it survived, but you now have a sticky mess that needs to be cleaned, so I would suggest taking everything apart, checking for rust and giving all the plastic parts and the PCB a good cleaning with rubbing alcohol and putting it in a bowl of rice for at least 24 hours to soak up any moisture that got stuck.

There is not much you can do to clean the inside of your screen so the best bet there is to replace them. It's probably a good idea to replace the battery as well, but if you are lucky the battery didn't get soaked in which case it's probably still fine. Otherwise I wouldn't take the risk.

Taking everything apart and putting it back together is quite a bit of work but it would save you a lot of money.

SmileCitrus likes this.
  13. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    open it get everything out, hold it under water to rinse all juice and let it dry on your radiator for a 2 days clen the screens with a soft cloth and put everything back togheter
    If it wasn't turn on, maybe only the battery is damaged.

I once did this with a Classic gameboy that dropped into a bowl of juice (it was off), it's still in my collection and working after all those years

14. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    With all due respect, rinsing with water is not a recommended solvent for electronics for many reasons not the least of which is all the minerals and contaminants.

15. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    I know, but it helped 20 years ago :)

[EDIT]
    And it's still working ;)

thorasgar likes this.
  16. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    To be fair, classic gameboys are damn near indestructible. Tech has gotten a lot more fragile over the years.

17. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    They don't make them like they used to. :hateit:

Manito and DjoeN like this.
  18. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    At least Apple Juice is better than mayonnaise. See if there are repair shops that will clean the motherboard.

.:drk_drgn:. likes this.
  19. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I have to hear that story. Are you sure it was mayonnaise?

20. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    How on earth do you get mayo inside a console? It's so thick, it probably wouldn't get into the cracks.

This, that's why I suggested rubbing alcohol. Plus it evaporates quickly too so that's a plus :)