Loffah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello guys.
So my nephew soaked my 3ds with low firmware in apple juice. And now i need to send it to Nintendo repair shop in Norway.
I fear that they will change hardware and probably update because fuck you customer.
Will i be able to downgrade again as i got sys nand file on my computer? How depressing isn't this ? :mellow:

berichan

ACNHMobileSpawner dev
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Will i be able to downgrade again as i got sys nand file on my computer?

Providing they don't update it past 9.2 or if they don't give you a new motherboard/device then yes, you can flash your backup nand to it. The likelihood of them not simply switching a water-damaged motherboard, however, is low.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
once they update it there is no way to downgrade it

maybe if you have a backup for your nand ? i don't know how this working

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, it'll A. be an expensive repair and B. They'll most likely switch the motherboard and update it, making the backup useless. Buying a new one is your best bet, unfortunately.

Reactions: Piepokemon

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd slap yer nephew and drown him in apple juice.

On a more serious note, go on ebay/second hand game stores and get a 4.5 or 9.2 (if ya got a gateway) 3DS.
I think the units that are on the shelves in gameshops are below 9.0 or on 9.0.

Loffah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What part is damaged? What does and doesn't it do now?

I havent even tryed to start it at i can imagen this doing more damage than anything. It was off when it got damaged. It is basically full of juice. Even on the inside of the screens. It's all stiff at this point tho.

Buy a new console, it will surely be cheaper.

Yeah, it'll A. be an expensive repair and B. They'll most likely switch the motherboard and update it, making the backup useless. Buying a new one is your best bet, unfortunately.

They got a guaranty on the official Nintendo sites that it won't cost more than 70 euro or something i believe.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
firstly i would say, try open it all up, and put it in a safe place to dry out (all the usual bag of rice stuff might help)
leave it about a week or 2 to completely dry out

then test it, in all fairness at 70 euro, you could probably get yourself a replacement 3DS and sell the faulty one for spares to cover the difference, at least then you know you have a 9.2 or lower console......ninty repairs are already being shipped with 9.4
http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/286732-3ds-was-updated-to-9-4-by-nintendo-repairs

its prett much standard repair center policies to update to the latest FW during any repair

Reactions: tyons and omegart

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
From personal experience, I once f# up my DS Lite with vodka, which also contains a lot of sugar. Instead of going for Ninytendo, I took it to a reputable independent repairman. Lo and behold, he scrubbed my motherboard until it had no more sugar and repaired a few solders and I used the DS for another year. Sure, wages here are lower so maybe it wouldn't be ideal for you, but you should definitely check first.

Reactions: Deleted User

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
listen to gamesquest1

I don't know Europe, but the U.S. has tons of local cellphone/console repair shops that specialize in this sort of thing. I have even seen a trend of mom and pop jewelry stores having these services as a side business. May not be much cheaper than Nintendo but they will understand you not wanting to update.

I would imagin with the N3DS the prices will decline further on the 3DS as well shortly.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Loffah Since the 3DS was off it's likely most of it survived, but you now have a sticky mess that needs to be cleaned, so I would suggest taking everything apart, checking for rust and giving all the plastic parts and the PCB a good cleaning with rubbing alcohol and putting it in a bowl of rice for at least 24 hours to soak up any moisture that got stuck.

There is not much you can do to clean the inside of your screen so the best bet there is to replace them. It's probably a good idea to replace the battery as well, but if you are lucky the battery didn't get soaked in which case it's probably still fine. Otherwise I wouldn't take the risk.

Taking everything apart and putting it back together is quite a bit of work but it would save you a lot of money.

Reactions: SmileCitrus

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
open it get everything out, hold it under water to rinse all juice and let it dry on your radiator for a 2 days clen the screens with a soft cloth and put everything back togheter
If it wasn't turn on, maybe only the battery is damaged.

I once did this with a Classic gameboy that dropped into a bowl of juice (it was off), it's still in my collection and working after all those years

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
open it get everything out, hold it under water to rinse all juice and let it dry on your radiator for a 2 days clen the screens with a soft cloth and put everything back togheter

I once did this with a Classic gameboy that dropped into a bowl of juice (it was off), it's still in my collection and working after all those years
With all due respect, rinsing with water is not a recommended solvent for electronics for many reasons not the least of which is all the minerals and contaminants.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

To be fair, classic gameboys are damn near indestructible. Tech has gotten a lot more fragile over the years.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
At least Apple Juice is better than mayonnaise. See if there are repair shops that will clean the motherboard.
How on earth do you get mayo inside a console? It's so thick, it probably wouldn't get into the cracks.

With all due respect, rinsing with water is not a recommended solvent for electronics for many reasons not the least of which is all the minerals and contaminants.
This, that's why I suggested rubbing alcohol. Plus it evaporates quickly too so that's a plus :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    PotatoStatic @ PotatoStatic: Jesus. Someone really wants to give me speedy loans.