Not open for further replies.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
@all:
The 3DS CPU cant Emulate, even with its 2 Cores, the N64. The Architecture is to much different, that it could translate the Code into ARM Code and an emulation, as I said, is not possible.

By following that logic, the PSP couldn't even emulate properly PS1 since it lacks TLB and MMU... but isn't RISC on PSP a sligthly modified version of the one used on PS1? Yeah they could just "virtualize", but PS1 has a virtual ram system and a pseudo cpu handling (paging) those. Yeah it's possible because it's there, done.

While ARM differs from RISC (3DS to N64 case), and some smart guys have figured out, you can use modern GPUs to run sub-standard asm code (not easy!) for you. Since N64 wouldn't require 3D, only one core should suffice to handle gfx, the other GPU core handle framebuffer access, etc.

The problem I really see, is the custom microcode per N64 game. It uses hardware (interpreted on GPU, recompiled on N64 CPU) in a very specific way and basically it's so damn close to hardware that it'd have to be "emulated", or, "ported" completely to run on, a 3DS. [that is, if Nintendo really had to develop those in ASM, because they could probably have the game code in C or another language, then compile them ...]

And why would that make a difference? Dynamic Recompilation takes CPU instructions from one architecture, converts it to the different architecture, and saves it so it won't have to convert it when it runs across that instruction again. While some code would require 2-3 extra instructions to mimic a single instruction, there is also the possibility that a single instruction of the target architecture can handle an operation that would require 2-3 instructions from the source architecture. You take a look at something like the Corn N64 emulator for the PC, and you can see just how effective it is. I was able to run that emulator on a 233Mhz Pentium II at almost 60 fps with Super Mario 64, and the Pentium II is a far older architecture and not nearly as advanced as the ARM11.

I could run full 60 fps on a Pentium I 166mhz MMX with a legendary Voodoo 3 2000 agp card. Oh the nostalgia..

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not even going to bother reading all of the other comments, because they're either people politely telling you that you're an idiot, or more idiots agreeing with your idiot logic, or idiots acting like arrogant jerks because they're incapable of telling you you're wrong without needlessly insulting you.
Fixed.

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not even going to bother reading all of the other comments, because they're either people politely telling you that you're an idiot, or more idiots agreeing with your idiot logic, or idiots acting like arrogant jerks because they're incapable of telling you you're wrong without needlessly insulting you.
Fixed.

Reactions: 1 person

gameandmatch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well here an interesting question. How long do you think it will be before someone releases an N64 emulator for the 3ds? It rather obvious the 3ds can play N64 games (Zelda OOt and Starfox 64 anyone?) and seeing as a regular ds can play a slightly modified N64 game (super mario 64) then it is likely this is going to happen right? I mean it bound to happen at some point right?

Also can a current flashcart even support an .n64 game as they are? I'm going to upgrade anyway, but will they have to release a new flashcart just to play n64 games? I know this won't happen anytime soon, seeing as the 3ds seems to be kinda hax proof at the moment, but will it ever happen?

It may, with a very low possibility, be able to emulate n64 but your logic is messed up. Just because starfox and zelda was ported over to the 3ds doesn't mean the 3ds can emulate n64 games. All they did was grab the coding from the n64 version and changed it completely so it can work on the 3ds.

aids0109

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You have to remember when Nintendo remade Mario 64 for DS, it had to be remade completely and is not an emulation, if it was an emulation then we would have the exact same graphics as the N64, same control system and also the same character, emulating is copying something exactly, so the graphics were different and it also used Nintendo DS peripherals and hardware.

If it was an emulated version then the graphics would be exactly the same as the graphics for Mario 64 were state of the art 3D polygons used to create Mario, about a few hundred were used but now we use a few thousand or even millions.

If you have any questions please ask.

Reference: Personal N64 and NDS hacking and homebrew (my homebrew is personal projects, same as my source SDK maps)

reaper527

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, you're right. :( The only Rare games Nintendo has rights to (it seems) are Rare games that were made from pre-existing Nintendo IPs (Donkey Kong Country, characters from Star Fox Adventures).

There is a rumor that Nintendo is in talks to re-buy Rare from M$ just for the rights to Banjo-Kazooie, but it sounds too good to be true.

since rare has already said they are working on a game for the next-gen microsoft system, i would highly suspect that the rumor of rare changing ownership is just rumor and nothing more.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont mind ports for the 3ds, in fact that is half the reason i bought it, i was ecpecting a bunch of 3d ports for the eshop,n64,nes,snes,etc,i want to see the old games in 3d,
they should port them all to the eshop, vc why not, they are so stupid and lazy, all they release is stupid 2d gb titles and stupid dsi ware and all i can say about that is ....
wassup%20willis.jpg

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
i dont mind ports for the 3ds, in fact that is half the reason i bought it, i was ecpecting a bunch of 3d ports for the eshop,n64,nes,snes,etc,i want to see the old games in 3d,
they should port them all to the eshop, vc why not, they are so stupid and lazy, all they release is stupid 2d gb titles and stupid dsi ware and all i can say about that is who fucking cares?
Nintendo: *Releases ports/remakes for their new system*

Butthurt gamers: "Why isn't Nintendo releasing NEW games instead? They're lazy!"

Nintendo: *Focuses less on ports and makes new games for their new system instead*

Butthurt gamers: "Why isn't Nintendo porting more old games, when it's so easy to do? They're lazy!"

Reactions: 4 people

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they should port them all to the eshop, vc why not, they are so stupid and lazy, all they release is stupid 2d gb titles and stupid dsi ware and all i can say about that is who fucking cares?
Nintendo: *Releases ports/remakes for their new system*

Butthurt gamers: "Why isn't Nintendo releasing NEW games instead? They're lazy!"

Nintendo: *Focuses less on ports and makes new games for their new system instead*

Butthurt gamers: "Why isn't Nintendo porting more old games, when it's so easy to do? They're lazy!"
yes well i was suggesting that they can do BOTH, why does ot always have to be one or the other? the games are already made, look how many new titles from made from scratch come out for ps3 and 360
they should be doing both is really my point and there is really no excuse to not port old gamed into 3d for vc, FFS nintendo was so lazy with the 3ds that when i first got it ,they had demo videos for 3ds games and the videos were not even in 3d WTF, who is running this company? they do thigs that are so lazy and dont make any sense , that is really beyond the pale, they couldnt even put the trailers for 3ds cart games on the eshop on there in 3d, i dont what they are thinking,but people need to fired

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
yes well i was suggesting that they can do BOTH, why does ot always have to be one or the other? the games are already made, look how many new titles from made from scratch come out for ps3 and 360
they should be doing both is really my point and there is really no excuse to not port old gamed into 3d for vc, FFS nintendo was so lazy with the 3ds that when i first got it ,they had demo videos for 3ds games and the videos were not even in 3d WTF, who is running this company? they do thigs that are so lazy and dont make any sense , that is really beyond the pale, they couldnt even put the trailers for 3ds cart games on the eshop on there in 3d, i dont what they are thinking,but people need to fired
Personally, I think they should keep GB, GBC, and GBA games on the 3DS eShop and console games on the Wii and Wii U eShop. But that's just me.

I'm not saying there SHOULDN'T be ports, but the 3DS has a lackluster library as it is. I'd rather they worry about more new games than about porting N64 titles. Besides, the 3DS doesn't even have enough buttons to properly play N64 games, unless you use the touch screen, which would be messy.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I think they should keep GB, GBC, and GBA games on the 3DS eShop and console games on the Wii and Wii U eShop. But that's just me.

I'm not saying there SHOULDN'T be ports, but the 3DS has a lackluster library as it is. I'd rather they worry about more new games than about porting N64 titles. Besides, the 3DS doesn't even have enough buttons to properly play N64 games, unless you use the touch screen, which would be messy.
Remember when Reggie said that Nintendo gamers are insatiable? Totalnoob617 seems to be a fitting example of that. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good deal. I love Sun chips. I also love Rye chips, and had to order some from Amazon cause can't find in stores much anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/1Ic2tqw_AmM?si=JprHwElZWw_oO_ii