Homebrew 3DS Outer Camera Crash

mouses11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a used 3ds, after formatting it and setting it all up everything appears to be in order except the outer camera being "weird".

They work in games like Pokemon Ultra Sun QR code scanner.
They do not work when pressing the shoulders or launching the camera app and switching to them, it causes the system to freeze and turning it off\on is how I get out of it.

I've deduced that it is probably a software issue but I am not an expert by any means. Any help would be appreciated.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
You probably have a ribbon cable issue, preventing one of both of the outer cameras from working.

It is recommended to either repair the ribbon cable or replace the entire camera assembly to fix this issue. However, if you are not experienced in threading ribbon cables into circular holes, I would recommend getting someone else to fix it for you.

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
The console crashes on that if it isn't working properly, the best thing to do may be to replace the camera with a new one.

mouses11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably have a ribbon cable issue, preventing one of both of the outer cameras from working.

The camera works for QR Code scans, if the cameras ribbon cable wasn't attached then I shouldn't get feedback for QRs?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is the best I've got to go off of, because it is identical to my issue except I do not seem to have the physical issues mentioned below unless it's a damaged trace inside the casing.

Markeyx said:
Sorry to drag this back from years ago but I am currently having the exact same issue with a NEW 2DS XL Pokeball edition.

The outer camera just shows a black screen in the main app and in camera calibration, but shows the picture just fine using the QR code function.
Switching to the inner camera works and seems fine.

I have checked the ribbon cables and they are fine and have been reseated correctly.

Anyone got any other info. Reluctant to replace the camera itself as it seems odd that it looks fine, ribbon cable is perfect and the camera does work for QR codes.
There are two cameras for the rear. The n2DSXL, like the o2DS, will automatically shoot pictures in 3D mode for the rear cameras.
In QR scan mode, the left camera is used, and the right is disabled.

Did you own this n2DSXL for a while now before this black screen showed up?
Maybe your right rear camera shifted out of place, has a cracked lens, or damaged trace?

Edit - Also look for dust specks.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Nov 17, 2018

Last edited by mouses11,

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
The camera works for QR Code scans, if the cameras ribbon cable wasn't attached then I shouldn't get feedback for QRs?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is the best I've got to go off of, because it is identical to my issue except I do not seem to have the physical issues mentioned below unless it's a damaged trace inside the casing.

Markeyx said:
Sorry to drag this back from years ago but I am currently having the exact same issue with a NEW 2DS XL Pokeball edition.

The outer camera just shows a black screen in the main app and in camera calibration, but shows the picture just fine using the QR code function.
Switching to the inner camera works and seems fine.

I have checked the ribbon cables and they are fine and have been reseated correctly.

Anyone got any other info. Reluctant to replace the camera itself as it seems odd that it looks fine, ribbon cable is perfect and the camera does work for QR codes.
There are two cameras for the rear. The n2DSXL, like the o2DS, will automatically shoot pictures in 3D mode for the rear cameras.
In QR scan mode, the left camera is used, and the right is disabled.

Did you own this n2DSXL for a while now before this black screen showed up?
Maybe your right rear camera shifted out of place, has a cracked lens, or damaged trace?

Edit - Also look for dust specks.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Nov 17, 2018
Most likely QR code scanner only turns on one camera and not both, so the issue does not appear.
Damaged trace in the camera ribbon cable can cause the issue to occur.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely QR code scanner only turns on one camera and not both, so the issue does not appear.
Damaged trace in the camera ribbon cable can cause the issue to occur.
Yes, anything that doesn't use the 3D effect uses only the left camera.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1