3ds on 7.1..

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Jerry2015, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Jerry2015
    OP

Jerry2015 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    I got a nintendo 3ds that's on firmware 7.1...I've been reading around and found the only way to install home brew is with the ninja game? Browserhax wouldn't work...so should I upgrade? I've read so much conflicting information...I'm going to eventually buy a flashcard for it but would like to play roms...or something until I can do that.

2. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    If you want to play games use a CFW and install cias.

3. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I'll help you the same way someone helped me

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/

Just installed CFW and installing CIA's now, only checked pilotwings so far but it works perfectly, no gateway or cubic ninja needed

4. Jerry2015
    OP

Jerry2015 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Awesome. Thanks.
    I had actually been on that page but for some reason didn't think it covered 7.1. I'm going to do it tonight. I'm still a bit confused. I know you can play home brew like emulators and such...as well as ds games. But I saw a post where somebody was asking if they could play Pokémon y with rxtools...which is a 3ds game if I'm not mistaken...and the response was yes...I was under the impression you have to have a flash card to play any 3ds games? The ds scene has gotten complicated and confusing lol. It use to be simple...put in a flash card and go.

5. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    You don't need a flash card you just need to install the CIA via FBI instead of using the .3ds file

6. Jerry2015
    OP

Jerry2015 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Right. I understand that. I just thought that stuff only worked for ds games. I thought 3ds roms could only be played with a flash card...

So if I understand correctly, you can play 3ds games as well by using CIA via fbi? That's awesome...so why do flash cards still exist?

7. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    God knows, it's just a matter of preference really or people or who bought them before the cia process became stable, but I can confirm that I currently have 30 odd cias on my 3ds and no issue running them and I don't have a gateway

8. Jerry2015
    OP

Jerry2015 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    That is great. I appreciate the help! There's so much information out there on it that conflicts everything else..I was going to install home brew to play emulators until I could get the gateway. It's awesome that I can skip out on paying 70$ for the flash card! Can you still play online or with another ds?

9. Solid_Snake292

Solid_Snake292 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah on Cfw online works just fine for me