KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks! I upgraded yesterday to Fastboot3ds,
First: is this good? or should i use B9S? if so how do i reinstall it?
No idea why boot9.bin does not show up in GodMode9 while fastboot3DS is installed. I've asked myself this question before. If you want to dump it, fastboot can do this:
  • Press (Home) while turning on to get to fastboot3DS main menu
  • Miscellaneous → Dump bootroms & otp
It is not really important if you have fastboot3DS or B9S. They both work flawlessly – fastboot is arguably more versatile. Use which ever you prefer. You can boot into SafeB9SInstaller whenever you want to go back to B9S.

Edit:
It will not show a 8046 BootROM error if FIRM0 is corrupted but FIRM1 is intact. If both are corrupted it goes blue screens of death. A 8046 BootROM error can only be fixed with ntrboot. There is no other way to boot GodMode9/SafeB9SInstaller/OpenFirmInstaller.
:!: Again: Don't manually modify the FIRM partitions if you don't have a working ntrboot cart at hand. Changing the FIRM partitions does nothing good and will brick the console.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Lumpy64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hey guys, this is a total noob question, but can i use a 3ds flash card without a softmod? i want to get a new 3ds and want to keep it stock, or is there a super easy softmod that has no risk? this is my only chance to get expensive 3ds hardware (i have a 2DS but i got it modded from a friend) and want to have a way to play roms, homebrew and emulators without risk of bricking

thanks

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hey guys, this is a total noob question, but can i use a 3ds flash card without a softmod? i want to get a new 3ds and want to keep it stock, or is there a super easy softmod that has no risk? this is my only chance to get expensive 3ds hardware (i have a 2DS but i got it modded from a friend) and want to have a way to play roms, homebrew and emulators without risk of bricking

thanks
Installing custom firmware on a 3DS is as safe as console (soft)modding can get. You have to do stupid things on purpose ignoring warnings to brick a 3DS. Please use the guide https://3ds.hacks.guide/ and not any random video tutorials. Do not skip any steps like the SD verification and NAND backup.

There are 3DS mode flashcarts (Sky3DS+, Stargate3DS). They are really expensive and have a lot of limitations (they are only able to run unmodified ROMs from the same region as the console, no eShop-only games, no out-of-region, no romhacks, no homebrew¹). Most GBAtemp members advise against getting such an expensive cart because of all these limitations when free CFW can do much more. And before I forget this: I've read that using .3DS ROMs via flashcart online requires getting something called private headers in order to prevent online ban – while installed .CIA files with CFW don't seem to cause any bans.
If you decide to get a 3DS flashcart anyway and encounter any problems: You won't get much – if any – help here on the forum and will be told to "ditch" your expensive cart and install CFW.

Flashcarts for the DS mode (mostly recommended is the R4i Gold 3DS Plus with internal switch for ntrboot) are way cheaper and more versatile: They offer all possibilities (DS ROMs, DS homebrew, romhacks…) but of course the limitations of DS mode apply – it does not make use of the 3DS hardware which is way more powerful than the original DS.

If you have any further questions or problems, just ask.

Good luck and have fun!

¹Technically it is possible start homebrew from flashcart by using a ROM that is an entrypoint – like Ocarina of Time 3D or Cubic Ninja. However, homebrew does not always run reliably from userland entrypoints – especially on high firmware versions.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Lumpy64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Installing custom firmware on a 3DS is as safe as console (soft)modding can get. You have to do stupid things on purpose ignoring warnings to brick a 3DS. Please use the guide https://3ds.hacks.guide/ and not any random video tutorials. Do not skip any steps like the SD verification and NAND backup.

There are 3DS mode flashcarts (Sky3DS+, Stargate3DS). They are really expensive and have a lot of limitations (they are only able to run unmodified ROMs from the same region as the console, no eShop-only games, no out-of-region, no romhacks, no homebrew¹). Most GBAtemp members advise against getting such an expensive cart because of all these limitations when free CFW can do much more. And before I forget this: I've read that using .3DS ROMs via flashcart online requires getting something called private headers in order to prevent online ban – while installed .CIA files with CFW don't seem to cause any bans.
If you decide to get a 3DS flashcart anyway and encounter any problems: You won't get much – if any – help here on the forum and will be told to "ditch" your expensive cart and install CFW.

Flashcarts for the DS mode (mostly recommended is the R4i Gold 3DS Plus with internal switch for ntrboot) are way cheaper and more versatile: They offer all possibilities (DS ROMs, DS homebrew, romhacks…) but of course the limitations of DS mode apply – it does not make use of the 3DS hardware which is way more powerful than the original DS.

If you have any further questions or problems, just ask.

Good luck and have fun!

¹Technically it is possible start homebrew from flashcart by using a ROM that is an entrypoint – like Ocarina of Time 3D or Cubic Ninja. However, homebrew does not always run reliably from userland entrypoints – especially on high firmware versions.

ok thanks! that was quite helpful:D

amirgaming74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I just uninstalled cfw from my 3ds a while ago and recently I tried to uninstall a save file in data management so I went to software and it crashed and said, "An error has occurred, forcing the software to close. The system will now restart.". I tried deleting the saves and updates of the games I got with cfw but when I went to software again it said the same thing. I would really appreciate some help.

Last edited by amirgaming74,

tosti

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Frankenfirm softbrick from incomplete system update.
  1. [3ds.hacks.guide] ntrboot + R4i Gold 3DS Plus -or- R4iSDHC series if you have another (o/n)(2/3)DS(i)(XL/LL)(phat/lite) with working DS(i) mode
  2. CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer. See the Instructions.
  3. Finalizing Setup
So, it looks like that friend did not tell me the full story. Whereas I thought I would have to do some software stuff, she sent me a disassembled New 3DS XL. On nine of the attached photos you can see what I received in the package. I have tried to capture all the components without creating too many photos.

n3dsxl09.jpg n3dsxl08.jpg n3dsxl07.jpg n3dsxl06.jpg n3dsxl05.jpg n3dsxl04.jpg n3dsxl03.jpg n3dsxl02.jpg n3dsxl01.jpg

By my count, I have three tiny screws, nine medium-sized screws, and six larger screws.

In the bowl with the face buttons, there's also a tiny transparent thing--I have no where it belongs.

Additionally, I have added a photo of all the components that iFixit says I should have. On that iFixit photo, you can see three items I have not identified in the components I have on my table right now:
(1) seems to be the camera
(2) looks like the motherboard for the directional buttons
(3) is a cable of some sorts--maybe it's still attached to another component and I just cannot find it.

Inkedn3dsxl_comp_01_LI.jpg

First, this looks like something way above my expertise.
Second, if some of those components are truly missing, would it even be possible to fix this thing?
Third, not wanting to break anything, how difficult would we guess assembly is? I might pack it back up and send it back.

Last edited by tosti,

masterz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK real talk now, I can't find my original thread but I could've sworn I asked previously. For some reason my n3ds xl is corrupting homemenu extdata randomly. At first I thought it was Captain Toad doing it but it also happened with Picross 3d(whatever the second one's called). I thought it was a bad uSD card but I got a brand new uSD card and used badblocks(linux program that writes to and reads the whole target device 4 times) and it came back AOK. But the issue keeps happening.

I am thinking it's something with the system itself that's causing the homemenu extdata to be corrupted. When I use godmode9 to clear homemenu extdata it boots AOK but then after some time it just dies again. I don't know what'd be causing it to not work right.

Last edited by masterz87,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, it looks like that friend did not tell me the full story. Whereas I thought I would have to do some software stuff, she sent me a disassembled New 3DS XL. On nine of the attached photos you can see what I received in the package. I have tried to capture all the components without creating too many photos.

-snip-

By my count, I have three tiny screws, nine medium-sized screws, and six larger screws.

In the bowl with the face buttons, there's also a tiny transparent thing--I have no where it belongs.

Additionally, I have added a photo of all the components that iFixit says I should have. On that iFixit photo, you can see three items I have not identified in the components I have on my table right now:
(1) seems to be the camera
(2) looks like the motherboard for the directional buttons
(3) is a cable of some sorts--maybe it's still attached to another component and I just cannot find it.

-snip-

First, this looks like something way above my expertise.
Second, if some of those components are truly missing, would it even be possible to fix this thing?
Third, not wanting to break anything, how difficult would we guess assembly is? I might pack it back up and send it back.
It looks like your buddy was trying to swap her upper display for an IPS LCD panel because that first image shows its ribbon cable missing a trace like in this thread.
I don't know how good of a friend she is to you, but if she sent you that n3DSXL in that condition without telling you upfront she disassembled it, the cynic in me believes she intended for you to fail your repair attempt and possibly pin the blame on you for breaking her n3DSXL.

You will not be able to reassemble the n3DSXL it its entirety because as you've noted, the [XYBA buttons|power]board, camera assembly {technically not need for the n3DSXL}, microphone flex cable, and (HOME) button flex cable are missing. Unless she gives you the rest of those missing (still working) parts or one of yous fork over money to buy replacements, there's not a chance that n3DSXL can be brought back to working condition as it-is right now.

If you've never fixed a 3DS system or haven't done electronics repairs before, I suggest you decline this task and send everything back as neatly reassembled as possible with adequate padding. Take pictures before it's shipped off in case she tries to pull the "you sent muh shiet back allz broek, fak u gib meh monehz!!" trick.

If all she wants is a working n3DSXL with all her important user profile stuff back, the least complicated method would be to buy another used but fully function n3DSXL, swap the motherboards, install custom firmware if it doesn't already have it, and then backup all the saves + extdata, titles into CIAS, SysNAND, etc. (for personal data safety/insurance).

Repair the original n3DSXL with donor motherboard, and then swap back their motherboards once the original n3DSXL has everything else working.

There's the risk that both original and donor n3DSXL can end up dead, but there's also the risk repairing just the original n3DSXL can kill motherboard before one has the chance of backing up their stuff.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Lenks

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Hi, recently i bought N3DSXL unfamiliar with the fact that the console comes with 2 versions of the screen - TN and IPS. As i really like the 3D effect and want to play with all the way ON my TN console was giving me really bad ghosting with a lot of games. I was thinking for a screen swap i even ordered ones which i think maybe will never come from China because of the pandemic.
Anyway as i continue to read i decided that the effort it's not worth it because it can cause complications, so i bought a beautiful N3DSXL Fire Emblem console that have upper IPS screen for a bargain and plan to sell the other one.

Short:
So my question is this - how to transfer my files from my current console to the other one? Both N3DSXL consoles are hacked. Also i plan to use my current 32GB card on the IPS console which i think will come with 4GB card...

Last edited by Lenks,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, recently i bought N3DSXL unfamiliar with the fact that the console comes with 2 versions of the screen - TN and IPS. As i really like the 3D effect and want to play with all the way ON my TN console was giving me really bad ghosting with a lot of games. I was thinking for a screen swap i even ordered ones which i think maybe will never come from China because of the pandemic.
Anyway as i continue to read i decided that the effort it's not worth it because it can cause complications, so i bought a beautiful N3DSXL Fire Emblem console that have upper IPS screen for a bargain and plan to sell the other one.

Short:
So my question is this - how to transfer my files from my current console to the other one? Both N3DSXL consoles are hacked. Also i plan to use my current 32GB card on the IPS console which i think will come with 4GB card...
Short answer is just a link:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...-without-losing-non-legitimate-titles.531950/

Should be just what you need.

Good luck and have fun!

WillExis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there! Need some serious help. So i already had perfectly working CFW on my 2DS XL. Last night I needed to replace a rom for a game so I took my micro SD out and put it in my laptop. During the process, I accidentally bumped the SD card and something went screwy. The card is no longer recognized by the laptop or 2DS and when i try to access it on my laptop it tells me i have to format it. Is there any way to save my data? I've yet to format it so I think it should all still be there, but I've no clue.

3DSBricker

Not So Daily Active Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes of course. It is probably in Raw, i had the same problem with a usb from my father who never safely ejected it and as result: a raw partition. With 2 formats in one because there were some Mac OS X install files and a NTFS partition. So i used Aomei data recovery (if i remembered correctly) and everything recovered succesfully . Then i formatted and copied the recovered files back.

Reactions: Alexander1970

WillExis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I managed to find a data recovery program and it seemed to have received most if not all my files. The problem now is that the program put them in new named folders like "recovered data #1234" or something like that. Now I've no idea where to put what or some of the names of the original folders.

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm in the process of cleaning up my new 3DS a bit and wondered if there's still any reason to use these Homebrews or if there are newer, better ones that do the same job:

- SaveDataFiler
- JK's Save Manager
- TWLSaveTool

I have Checkpoint installed, any reason to keep the others?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm in the process of cleaning up my new 3DS a bit and wondered if there's still any reason to use these Homebrews or if there are newer, better ones that do the same job:

- SaveDataFiler
- JK's Save Manager
- TWLSaveTool

I have Checkpoint installed, any reason to keep the others?
JKSM save manager can be nice when checkpoint decides not to read something. Savedatafiler is outdated. that one you can get rid of safely. TWLSaveTool is for dumping and writing nds carts. which can be nice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hi