• Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

melske

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm planning to buy a 3DS as an upgrade to my DSi, but I have a couple questions, cause my English isn't all too well and I don't understand everything I read here:

1: Can I just buy a flashcart and play, just like my M3izero on the 3DS or do I need to make some changes on my 3DS?
2: What flascart do you recommend? is it still the R4gold deluxe?
3: Can I just buy a new 3DS or do I have to look for a specific one?

I think I'm the noob of the noobs, So your help is very much appreciated. If there's something other very important, please tell me. thank you

kapapt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
1. Yes you can but its more expensive and with less options that CFW
2. Sky3DS is the recomended card for 3ds games (as far as i know)
3. But any 3ds with 11.5 or less, depends on what you want

Reactions: melske

melske

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
thank you very much, So if i understand correctly:
I download the CFW, and I'm good to go? Are there any extra costs to that or is it just the program and you're done?

mmalficia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

Ok im due to replace a old 3ds after the kid turned it into a paperweight. ive come back perused the faqs, boards and my my alot has changed since the old flashcarts 8) so im just asking for some clarification and suggestions on some things.

Wants: able to play 3ds and 2ds
Simplicity of use (i have no problems doing a cfw if needed but kids and wife need ease of use )

Im looking at one of the new 2ds xl (black teal) anything wrong with that choice ?

If i go the cfw route and convert my backups to CIA do i still need to do that whole qrcode scan route ?

Also if thats the best route can someone recommend the current best card/ CFW to install, also on that note anything i should absolutely not let them do (ie play online multiplayer over wifi or something )

If using flashcarts is still the way to go any recommendations for 2ds 3ds with the most flexibility ? sky3ds seams to be the route for 3ds titles if im correct? but im at a loss on 2ds current king card.

Thankyou for looking and your time ..

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hello,

Ok im due to replace a old 3ds after the kid turned it into a paperweight. ive come back perused the faqs, boards and my my alot has changed since the old flashcarts 8) so im just asking for some clarification and suggestions on some things.

Wants: able to play 3ds and 2ds
Simplicity of use (i have no problems doing a cfw if needed but kids and wife need ease of use )

Im looking at one of the new 2ds xl (black teal) anything wrong with that choice ?

If i go the cfw route and convert my backups to CIA do i still need to do that whole qrcode scan route ?

Also if thats the best route can someone recommend the current best card/ CFW to install, also on that note anything i should absolutely not let them do (ie play online multiplayer over wifi or something )

If using flashcarts is still the way to go any recommendations for 2ds 3ds with the most flexibility ? sky3ds seams to be the route for 3ds titles if im correct? but im at a loss on 2ds current king card.

Thankyou for looking and your time ..
If you're getting the New 2ds XL You should get this ds mode flashcard: http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149 and then follow https://3ds.guide to install cfw using it (ntrboot)
You can install freeshop to download 3ds games and install them directly to the 3ds home menu just like eShop games would (guide on the first post of this thread) or you can install cias with FBI.
For old ds games you can use the flashcard.
And as long as you keep the nand backup created in the end of the guide, you can always revert to it if anything goes horribly wrong, but there's really not a lot that can go wrong, so you're safe.
As long as you follow the precautionary steps in the guide (in a red box on the getting started page) you should be safe from bans.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this really the only way to change the interface language? I was assuming Luma would override nintendo defaults

Thanks for the prompt response!
Depends on the language you want. The 3DS actually has other language options within depending on your region. USA consoles can switch between English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese on a stock system through system settings. EUR consoles have a wider variety of languages available.

The problem is when EUR/USA users want to switch to Japanese/Korean/TWN (mostly English) as these region consoles do not have the Kanji/Hirigana fonts available you must perform a region change, and sometimes even use SharedFontTool for the characters to display correctly.

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Depends on the language you want. The 3DS actually has other language options within depending on your region. USA consoles can switch between English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese on a stock system through system settings. EUR consoles have a wider variety of languages available.

The problem is when EUR/USA users want to switch to Japanese/Korean/TWN (mostly English) as these region consoles do not have the Kanji/Hirigana fonts available you must perform a region change, and sometimes even use SharedFontTool for the characters to display correctly.
(S)he wanted to change Japanese console to English

chadid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an o3ds that has version 4.3 firmware. I was following 3ds.guide until the homebrew part until I found out the payloads are only for versions 9.x-11.x. So now I am stuck with no homebrew and an (unfinished?) luma3ds cfw installation

Also how do I restore my flashcart (r4id sgold)? The guide says to launch ntrboot flasher by holding start when booting, but when I do that it launches godmode9. I still need the flashcart for 3ds/ds games right?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I have an o3ds that has version 4.3 firmware. I was following 3ds.guide until the homebrew part until I found out the payloads are only for versions 9.x-11.x. So now I am stuck with no homebrew and an (unfinished?) luma3ds cfw installation

Also how do I restore my flashcart (r4id sgold)? The guide says to launch ntrboot flasher by holding start when booting, but when I do that it launches godmode9. I still need the flashcart for 3ds/ds games right?
You're supposed to update.
Section II - Updating the System
If, while following a previous version of this guide, you CTRTransfered your New 3DS to 2.1.0, now is the time to restore your NAND backup before doing this section.

If, before following this guide, you already had an EmuNAND setup and would like to move the contents of your previous EmuNAND to your new SysNAND CFW, now is the time to follow Move EmuNANDbefore doing this section.

1. Update your device by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”
    • Updates while using B9S + Luma (what you have) are safe
    • If this gives you an error, set your DNS settings to “auto”
    • If this still gives you an error, follow CTRTransfer, then try updating again

chadid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use Rosalina to access the Homebrew Launcher as instructed in the guide
I tried that but it just hangs at the red/black 3ds screen whenever using download play/H&S as the homebrew launcher. I figured it's because hb isn't installed.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
But I thought 11.5 made installing homebrew difficult? Should I just get the legit update from nintendo?
You already have everything installed that would have been difficult to install had you updated first.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I tried that but it just hangs at the red/black 3ds screen whenever using download play/H&S as the homebrew launcher. I figured it's because hb isn't installed.
Did you update?

Reactions: chadid

IsaacMG99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It happened again, and I got a picture of it. Same details, only happens when I power it off. Is this some serious problem?

https://imgur.com/a/JVawZ idk why the image doesn't display, it goes to imgur don't worry.
Can I bump this? It still happens sometimes. What is the .dmp file for? How can I open it? Why is this happening?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg