• Views 4,466,875
  • Replies 53,775
  • Likes 43

GR-DRACULA

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You can always make a new NNID (just format and make a new one) and the CFW console can always recover the data (restore NAND backup and SD card contents).
Thank you very much! and i have a little question cfw is something that boot before 3ds? something like priiloader on wii which is permanent and can not be overwritten by updates?

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thank you very much! and i have a little question cfw is something that boot before 3ds? something like priiloader on wii which is permanent and can not be overwritten by updates?
Yes. Boot9strap is a hack to the bootloader which makes the 3ds load boot.firm from the sd card or ctrnand before booting the system. That makes it so that even if you brick the device it can be saved quite easily.

Reactions: GR-DRACULA

Uchi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guys i need a quick answer about boot9strap. I use gateway to play 3ds games, through that browser technique. but gateway hasn't updated emunand for a while and to go online with monster hunter i need to update it, otherwise it gives me an error. so i want to install boot9strap and whatnot. if i do that can i still use the blue card for ds games? because i heard it skips the regular sysnand menu and thats where you can access it.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Guys i need a quick answer about boot9strap. I use gateway to play 3ds games, through that browser technique. but gateway hasn't updated emunand for a while and to go online with monster hunter i need to update it, otherwise it gives me an error. so i want to install boot9strap and whatnot. if i do that can i still use the blue card for ds games? because i heard it skips the regular sysnand menu and thats where you can access it.
What version number are you on?
I moved from gateway to B9S and I have no issues with my blue card on latest 11.5 firmware
Need N2DSXL nand pinouts for hard modding.. Anyone?
AFAIK There are no public NAND pinouts for the N2DS XL

Uchi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What version number are you on?
I moved from gateway to B9S and I have no issues with my blue card on latest 11.5 firmware

My sysnand is on version 7.2.0-4U and im currently using emunand 11.2.0-35 because thats as far as gateway goes for the moment.
can you still access the system menu normally?

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
My sysnand is on version 7.2.0-4U and im currently using emunand 11.2.0-35 because thats as far as gateway goes for the moment.
can you still access the system menu normally?
I feel like a small explanation is required here.
Basically, what Boot9Strap is, is an flaw in the way the bootrom checks the firmwares you give it. When you press the power button, the bootrom is initialized, which is essentially the initial program loader.
The flaw that was found is that there is a special signature with which you sign the firmware you want to load, and the bootrom will always read the firmware as valid, even if that firmware you are trying to load is not made by nintendo.
So what is done, is we gain access to write to the NAND some files through an ARM9 exploit (The 3DS has two processors, the ARM11 and the ARM9, the ARM9 acts as a security processor), and we write some special files to our NAND (Since only the ARM9 has access to writing and reading to the NAND). These special files tell the 3DS to load .firm files (Our Custom firmware) from the SD card, and then we sign the entire NAND image with with that special signature which is always read as valid, we call this sighax. Here's some technical info:

So, every time you open up the 3DS by pressing the power button, there is nothing of the sort of emuNAND, or anything like that. You press the power button, and instantly you load the custom firmware. You don't have to go to the web browser, or to the system settings to go to the DS profile option, or anything of the sort.
Therefore, yes, you can access the system menu normally. In fact, it is technically the only menu you can see, apart from GodMode9 (A file manager built from the ground up, for the 3DS, that is open source) which you can access by holding START when your 3DS boots up, or Luma's configuration menu (Luma is the CFW you will probably install, and this is what patches signature checking and allows us to run our own code, in the form of homebrew, or dumped 3DS games that have been converted to .CIA format) which you can access by holding SELECT when the 3DS boots up.

Reactions: GR-DRACULA and Uchi

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anybody have any problem with freeshop with tickets lately? I get arm11 exception error and then my 3ds shuts off completely after I DL a game

Juicy_Berger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Formatting your 3DS will not remove the CFW from it.
Sorry one more question
I did a dsi ware game injection transfer this morning from a new 3ds to a new 2ds xl and I would like to keep my Nintendo network ID on the target 3ds. But I would like to remove it from my source 3ds (the n3ds) how do I do so?
I've already tried formatting system memory but it won't let me because it needs to connect to the internet. I can remove it using the method from 3ds.guide but I can't add another Nintendo network Id :( plz help

Attachments

• IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 145

Uchi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow thank you so much MrJason! that's a really good explanation. im always a bit iffy about doing things when it comes to 3ds hacking, im scared i might do anything wrong and screw it all up. so that's why i want to be 100% sure everything will be fine before i get started. i'm gonna do it right now, do you have any especific tips?

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Wow thank you so much MrJason! that's a really good explanation. im always a bit iffy about doing things when it comes to 3ds hacking, im scared i might do anything wrong and screw it all up. so that's why i want to be 100% sure everything will be fine before i get started. i'm gonna do it right now, do you have any especific tips?
Do you have any save data you want to preserve? The B9S/Luma method also doesn't have cheats.

Uchi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you have any save data you want to preserve? The B9S/Luma method also doesn't have cheats.
Well, the saves from the games in the redcard should be fine right? sorry im a huge noob. but yeah, other than that, not really. i don't use cias, i use 3dz files.

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two questions:

1) If you have Luma installed, will it run out of region carts?

2) Is it possible to change the language of the home menu to something different than the region allows? I would like to change my USA 2ds to Chinese if possible

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk 2

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Two questions:

1) If you have Luma installed, will it run out of region carts?

2) Is it possible to change the language of the home menu to something different than the region allows? I would like to change my USA 2ds to Chinese if possible

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk 2
1. Yes
2. I'm not sure. At least by changing the region, but I hope there's a better way.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
That sounds much harder then I thought. So what firmware version would you recommend me on to play ds, 3ds and gbvc games? And can I run ds games off my sd card using what cfw?
You can't run DS games from your SD card. There's a DS emulator but very few games are compatible, it's more of an experiment than anything else. You'll want a DS flashcart whether you have CFW or not. To get CFW easily you will want to start with a console on 11.3 or less and follow https://3ds.guide. Thos will let you play 3DS, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, and others.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo