• Replies 53,775
  • Likes 43

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Probably a stupid question but hey whatever..

If you backup your sysNAND .. lets say its on 9.0. Then you update to 11.2. If you then restore your sysNAND, would you be back on 9.0? Would it "essentially" be a downgrade? I don't really understand what the NAND is so I'd like clarification on this please.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably a stupid question but hey whatever..

If you backup your sysNAND .. lets say its on 9.0. Then you update to 11.2. If you then restore your sysNAND, would you be back on 9.0? Would it "essentially" be a downgrade? I don't really understand what the NAND is so I'd like clarification on this please.
Yes that's how that works. When a new firmware update drops, people are warned/encouraged and should be warned/encouraged to make a backup of their current NAND (whether it be sysNAND (A9LH) or emuNAND) before updating, so in case something fails to work with the latest firmware (like say NTR CFW and BootNTR for example), they can revert back to the previous firmware with that NAND backup.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

Blastmaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I`ve got an old 3DS on firmware 8.0.0 . Struggling to get CFW to run on it. Been trying to install the LUMA firmware but no joy as I get an error when I browse to the the web address (browserhax) telling me to power off. I`ve tried about 100 times and still no joy. Do I need to install the homebrew or can I boot directly into custom firmware. I`ve saw a guide which basically tell you to go to firmware 9.2 first ? Althought there was a work around by setting date and time and deleting all the history etc but still can`t get the browserhax website to do whatit`s meant to do. I probably will run the risk of annoying people here by asking but am I on the right lines ? If not can anyone point my where to start whilst on firmwre 8.0 ?

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I`ve got an old 3DS on firmware 8.0.0 . Struggling to get CFW to run on it. Been trying to install the LUMA firmware but no joy as I get an error when I browse to the the web address (browserhax) telling me to power off. I`ve tried about 100 times and still no joy. Do I need to install the homebrew or can I boot directly into custom firmware. I`ve saw a guide which basically tell you to go to firmware 9.2 first ? Althought there was a work around by setting date and time and deleting all the history etc but still can`t get the browserhax website to do whatit`s meant to do. I probably will run the risk of annoying people here by asking but am I on the right lines ? If not can anyone point my where to start whilst on firmwre 8.0 ?
Your problem with browserhax is that it only works on firmwares 9.0+. It will always fail on 8.0. You will need Homebrew first, as you'll need to update to 9.2.

Follow this guide. It'll take you through the entire process of updating to 9.2 firmware then installing A9LH and Luma.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yes that's how that works. When a new firmware update drops, people are warned/encouraged and should be warned/encouraged to make a backup of their current NAND (whether it be sysNAND (A9LH) or emuNAND) before updating, so in case something fails to work with the latest firmware (like say NTR CFW and BootNTR for example), they can revert back to the previous firmware with that NAND backup.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I was confused by couple recent threads of people seeking help with their emunands .. No flame to this one guy said something about having updated his sysnand (gw user) to 11.2 and then wanting to restore his sysnand to retain gw accessiblity and I just got confused like what the idea there was .. If you update to 11.2 then restore sysnad backup then wouldn't you be where you started? What would be the point of doing any of that?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Now, it seems like I've lost data for all the games I've ever purchased as well as the data for freeshop games. Is there any way to get it back?
When you say, 'data for...', do you mean save games or the games themselves? If the latter you can just install again, but the former ... save games will always work unless you a) delete things in the Nintendo 3DS folder (of course, because that's where they're stored), or b) change your NAND. This could be through system transferring or doing a format. If the answer is a) you just have to restore your SD card data, if b), then you need to restore a NAND backup from when they were working. If you thought to backup the save games with JKSM you could also just restore them that way.

Reactions: aetheraeternus

aetheraeternus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say, 'data for...', do you mean save games or the games themselves? If the latter you can just install again, but the former ... save games will always work unless you a) delete things in the Nintendo 3DS folder (of course, because that's where they're stored), or b) change your NAND. This could be through system transferring or doing a format. If the answer is a) you just have to restore your SD card data, if b), then you need to restore a NAND backup from when they were working. If you thought to backup the save games with JKSM you could also just restore them that way.

I meant the game save data with all my progress across the games. It seems I did option B, but it doesn't look like my friend left a NAND backup with any of my data on it... just the one from when he downgraded me to 2.1.

I restored to the 2.1 NAND backup last night; would that explain why I lost my Streetpass and Mii data when he installed it? I assume the saves are as good as gone then. At least now I can have peace of mind because I tried everything I could. Thanks so much for your continued assistance, I truly appreciate it!

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I meant the game save data with all my progress across the games. It seems I did option B, but it doesn't look like my friend left a NAND backup with any of my data on it... just the one from when he downgraded me to 2.1.

I restored to the 2.1 NAND backup last night; would that explain why I lost my Streetpass and Mii data when he installed it? I assume the saves are as good as gone then. At least now I can have peace of mind because I tried everything I could. Thanks so much for your continued assistance, I truly appreciate it!
I can't remember, did you have an old 3DS or new? If old, just update from the 2.1 backup - everything should work again, if you use your old SD card files.

If new - try a 9.2 CTR transfer after restoring the 2.1 NAND and see if your stuff stays. I think the 9.2 CTR transfer will wipe your tickets (so using tikShop will make your games show up again) but hopefully the saves will still work. I'm not sure myself what exactly the CTR transfer wipes so if you try that please report back if it works or not. (remember not to put your console into sleep mode while on 2.1)

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: HyperT

aetheraeternus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't remember, did you have an old 3DS or new? If old, just update from the 2.1 backup - everything should work again, if you use your old SD card files.

If new - try a 9.2 CTR transfer after restoring the 2.1 NAND and see if your stuff stays. I think the 9.2 CTR transfer will wipe your tickets (so using tikShop will make your games show up again) but hopefully the saves will still work. I'm not sure myself what exactly the CTR transfer wipes so if you try that please report back if it works or not. (remember not to put your console into sleep mode while on 2.1)

Old 3DS XL. I don't have any backups saved on a computer or anything. Just the NAND that was already on the console that I didn't put there. It's the same one that sent me back to 2.1. I mean, I think updating from 2.1 is what I did?

This is what I did:
  1. restored the sysnand with whatever file was in the 3DS at the time. My friend told me there was a more recent backup . He made a mistake because there wasn't anything later than the 2.1 downgrade.
  2. I made the mistake of deleting arm9loaderhax.bin and everything that wasn't native to the 3DS in an effort to start things over. This caused the black screen, because arm9 wasn't able to boot
  3. I followed your advice to do the CTR transfer last night and I used tikshop to restore the tickets.
  4. However the saves from the games I played are not even visible when going into data management in the 3ds settings. The only saves on there are from manual save-data backups done from the 3DS home screen, and none of those are games I downloaded in recent weeks, like pokemon.
  5. When I boot up pokemon, it acts like it's a new game. Also the save files for Ace Attorney, Mario Tennis, etc are not present so they act like new games as well
I'm sorry if I'm not explaining it all well enough, I'm still trying to learn how everything works.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Since you are using an Old 3DS, after restoring the 2.1 backup, just go to System Settings and update. The problem with the CTR transfer is it wipes some things from your console. New 3DS will brick if updated directly from 2.1 so they don't have the option and must use CTR transfer, but an Old 3DS can just update.

Also, you can just get a new arm9loaderhax.bin from Luma's github at any time. It doesn't have to be the exact one you had on your SD card before.

Edit: If you manage to recover your save games, make sure to get JKSM and back them all up to your computer, just in case for the future :-)

Last edited by Quantumcat,

aetheraeternus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you are using an Old 3DS, after restoring the 2.1 backup, just go to System Settings and update. The problem with the CTR transfer is it wipes some things from your console. New 3DS will brick if updated directly from 2.1 so they don't have the option and must use CTR transfer, but an Old 3DS can just update.

Also, you can just get a new arm9loaderhax.bin from Luma's github at any time. It doesn't have to be the exact one you had on your SD card before.

Edit: If you manage to recover your save games, make sure to get JKSM and back them all up to your computer, just in case for the future :-)

When my friend made the 2.1 backup I didn't have freeshop yet, meaning I didn't have Pokemon yet and didn't have any saves for it at the time.

Do the save files persist in the memory card even after I restored to an earlier NAND backup that didn't have those saves on it?

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
More questions .. If you have a 2DS on 10.7 can you access eShop without updating? If not, what's the cheapest way to access Homebrew launcher to mod the console? Because OOT and Cubic Ninja etc. are quite expensive, but to my understanding the DSiWare titles that haven't been pulled yet are very cheap.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More questions .. If you have a 2DS on 10.7 can you access eShop without updating? If not, what's the cheapest way to access Homebrew launcher to mod the console? Because OOT and Cubic Ninja etc. are quite expensive, but to my understanding the DSiWare titles that haven't been pulled yet are very cheap.
You can access the eShop through the Homebrew application ctr-httpwn. If you haven't gotten the update nag, the cheapest option for Homebrew would be Browserhax. If you have gotten the update nag, you need a game cart.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes, you can use ctr-httpwn to bypass most update checks. On 10.7 I'm pretty sure you can use browserhax, see this.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You can access the eShop through the Homebrew application ctr-httpwn. If you haven't gotten the update nag, the cheapest option for Homebrew would be Browserhax. If you have gotten the update nag, you need a game cart.

For 2DS it says on the 3ds Guide that on 10.7 the method is No Browser, so browserhax is not even available? Hence DSiWare titles. I don't have the 2DS, but thinking of getting it for a friend so he could use it to downgrade his O3DS XL.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
But how can I use ctr-httpwn without HBL? The whole point of accessing e-shop is to get a DSiWare title to get access to HBL. As stated above, the guide claims it's No Browser method for 10.7 on 2DS.
DSiWare titles aren't used to access the HBL. You'll need an antrypoint such as oot3dhax or freakyhax to access the HBL. Your only option is to get an exploitable game. The cheapest way would be to get OoT3D and a Powersaves device.

And yeah, the browserhax workaround only works for New 3DS, apparently.

Last edited by Xiphiidae,

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For 2DS it says on the 3ds Guide that on 10.7 the method is No Browser, so browserhax is not even available? Hence DSiWare titles. I don't have the 2DS, but thinking of getting it for a friend so he could use it to downgrade his O3DS XL.
Make sure if you get the system, to tell him to find the DNS to block Nintendo's firmware updates from downloading. This way, he won't get the update nag and you can use Browserhax. (I think)
I'm pretty sure that if you block conntest.nintendowifi.net browserhax will work on 10.7 and 11.0 (N3DS).

DSiWare titles aren't used to access the HBL.
But they're wanting this for an Old 3DS, not New.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay