• Views 4,471,901
  • Replies 53,776
  • Likes 43

melibios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I've just acquired an old3DSXL, but I've never handled one before. It's running on 4.2 and has rxTools already installed, but there are a few specific things that can't quite get through me from jumping here and there, reading about some outdated posts and (info from) guides. I'm gonna throw some of my questions out here, hoping I get a quick answer.

** Will I still be able to play retail carts smoothly on it? And could I play them online (particularly Smash, MH4U)?
Although I think I know the answer, I just need your confirmation: emuNAND on non-n3ds already supports the latest firmware, so this shouldn't be a problem at all?
** What are the ways to brick it?
I know this sounds weird, but it's a better question than "how do I avoid bricking it."
If there's anything else I should know that you might want to add, I'd highly appreciate the info, even if I may have already read about it.

Last edited by melibios,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: bytar

LolCakeLazors

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a feeling this problem is due to the Nintendo 3DS folder.
I actually. did a similar thing before. When I made my emuNAND and unlinked, I did back up my NAND before all that, but I didn't inject it at the time. Only latter did i go restore it.

In you Nintendo 3DS folder, there should be 2 folders. 1 is your sysnand (made after the system format of the unlinking proccess). 2nd is your emunand folder (which was there before any of this problem).
Make sure your emunand folder is same as before the whole emunand stufff.

I think after formatting my emuNAND, it rebooted into home menu creating a new sysNAND ID although I don't think that should effect it. Should I be putting all of my old sysNAND stuff into a different folder? I only made a back up of my SD card and NAND before installing a CFW and after downgrading.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
** Will I still be able to play retail carts smoothly on it? And could I play them online (particularly Smash, MH4U)?
Although I think I know the answer, I just need your confirmation: emuNAND on non-n3ds already supports the latest firmware, so this shouldn't be a problem at all?
your good there it is as you say/think
** What are the ways to brick it?
I know this sounds weird, but it's a better question than "how do I avoid bricking it."
to avoid bricks only do things in emunand
If there's anything else I should know that you might want to add, I'd highly appreciate the info, even if I may have already read about it.
yup you should update sysnand to 9.2 so you can boot into emunand simply by powering on the system (this will help avoid things going wrong in sysnand
here are some instructions
How to Update your 3DS/2DS to 9.0 or 9.2
If you want to boot rxTools as soon as you turn on your 3DS, then you need to set-up Menuhax; and to use Menuhax, you need to be on 9.0 - 9.2 firmware.
Warning: This can brick your 3DS if done incorrectly! Be sure that you follow the instructions carefully!

Requirements:
  • BigBlueMenu installed in sysnand (Part 4a if you don't have Gateway or Ninjhax) OR any other cia installer on Sysnand.
  • A rxTools 3.0 nightly (preferably the one linked in Part 2)
Let's get started.
  1. Click HERE
  2. Click the CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates [Archive] result
  3. Click View Full Version : CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates at the top of the page
  4. Find the thread titled [MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions)
  5. Scroll down to the section titled Updates
  6. Download either the 9.2 modified update pack for your region, or a 9.0 or 9.2 Full Update Pack for you region
  7. Once downloaded, open the archive and find the "updates" folder; place it on your SD card. There should be many cia files in that folder.
    • Example: SD:/updates/0004013000008003.cia
  8. Download Sysupdater
  9. Open the archive and put sysUpdater.cia on your SD card
  10. Insert your SD card in your 3DS
  11. Hold L while launching rxTools to get into the rxTools menu. If using rxTools 2.5.2, hold R instead.
  12. Press DPAD RIGHT until you highlight ADVANCED OPTIONS, then press A. Skip this step if using rxTools 2.5.2
  13. Go down to DEVMODE or PASTA MODE and press A
  14. After a few seconds, you should now be in sysnand; firmware spoofing is disabled but cias can still be launched in this mode.
  15. Launch you CIA installer
  16. Install sysUpdater.cia (Destination: SD if using FBI)
  17. Once installed, press HOME to see sysUpdater wrapped as a gift; unwrap it.
  18. Launch sysUpdater
  19. sysUpdater will ask you if you are sure you want to go ahead with the update; choose to accept it.
    • It will also tell you that you shouldn't be in Gateway mode, or have firmware spoofing. Do not worry about this, DEVMODE / PASTA MODE has no firmware spoofing, so sysUpdater will work as intended. Just be absolutely sure you are in DEVMODE / PASTA MODE (line 13), not RXMODE SYSNAND!
  20. Wait for sysUpdater to finish. When it is done, your 3DS will reboot into 9.0 or 9.2 firmware! You can now follow the steps to use Menuhax if you'd like.

Launching rxTools at Boot - Menuhax!
These steps will setup Menuhax, which we will configure to allow rxTools to boot the moment you turn on your 3DS/2DS! IMO this is the best way to launch rxTools.

Note:
You must be on 9.0 - 9.2 firmware. This means your sysnand has to be on or between 9.0 to 9.2 system version. To update to 9.0 or 9.2, scroll down to the section How to Update your 3DS/2DS to 9.0 or 9.2 and follow the instructions, then come back here.

Second note: This will only work with rxTools 3.0 nightly (from September onwards I think). No one has found a way for it to work with rxTools 2.6 and under.

1. Download the Homebrew Starter Pack and extract the contents to your SD card root.
  2. Download the Homebrew Launcher cia by yellows8 and place hblauncher_loader.cia on your SD card.
  3. Put the SD card back in your 3DS.
  4. Set a random theme on your 3DS, then change it back to the default theme.
  5. Launch rxmode SysNAND (Hold L when booting rxTools to access it)
  6. Open BigBlueMenu (or any other CIA installer)
  7. Install hblauncher_loader.cia
  8. Exit to the HOME menu; there will be a new gift. It is the Homebrew Launcher cia.
  9. Launch the Homebrew Launcher via the Homebrew Launcher cia you just installed in SysNAND.
  10. Once in the homebrew menu, run the menuhax_manager v2.1 installer and install menuhax.
    • (At this point, I also set a custom button setup so that it loads sysnand only when I hold R. This is Type 2 in the config menu.)
  11. After all that, test if menuhax boots you into the homebrew menu at cold boot. Just turn off your 3DS and turn it back on. Be sure to hold a button (or not), depending on what config you chose. The default is to hold L during boot. In my example above, I don't have to hold anything to launch menuhax, but if I hold R, then menuhax won't launch.
  12. Now to set it to boot rxTools instead, download the latest CTRBootManager. Extract the zip and rename the boot.3dsx that is in the download to ctrb.3dsx. Then place the ctrb.3dsx and boot.cfg from the CTRBootManager download onto your SD card root.
  13. On your SD card, look for the file which name starts with "ropbinpayload". Open it with HxD or Notepad++. Maybe plain old Notepad will work too.
  14. Press CTRL+F and search for boot.3dsx. There will be two results.
  15. Change both to ctrb.3dsx and save the file.
  16. Open up boot.cfg with notepad and change boot_hb.3dsx to boot.3dsx and save the file.
  17. OPTIONAL: Open up boot.cfg with notepad and change this:
to this:

Now save the boot.cfg, eject your SD, and put it in your 3DS

When you turn on your 3DS, you should see the red screen, followed by the rxTools splash screen. If you chose a custom button setup in the Menuhax installer, keep that in mind. By default, you must hold L when booting to let Menuhax run at boot-up. In my case, I chose TYPE 2, and selected the button R. This means that Menuhax will always run at boot unless I hold R (which would bring me to sysnand instead of rxTools).
taken from this guide [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (Old 3DS and 2DS) (you should read it it has some good stuff inside)

Reactions: melibios

homebrewfan88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well first you get that unsigned cia installed in emunand.
Then you run it, duh! Though if the game supports online mode I suggest that you stick with online patched cia. So yeah stay away from those. Had to reinstall whole 1Gb game to get it working. XD
Cheers.

Emunand seems to be related to Gateway, so is a flashcard like Gateway absolutely required to run customized games like undubs, even if I have now after installing menuhax a way to run homebrew? I mean, is there nothing like a USB Loader you can use on a Wii via Homebrew Channel?

SirDumplton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everybody,
I currently own a O3DSXL FW EU 4.5 with a Gateway Card and 10.3 emunand.Now, I wanted to get CFW to install some GBA/DSi .cias,which I can't install normally when using Gateway (right?). I also don't really want to update my SysNand to 9.2, the MSET exploit is easy to use and I don't really want to screw things up just to update.So I looked up this tutorial and wanted to install rxtools via MSET too: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/
I already installed FBI on emunand,but before I go on, I still have some questions:

1. What happens with my GW-emunand when I try to install rxtools? Can I use my GW-card(which I want to later on) simply by running the GW-exploit again with the blue card and then get in Gateway-Mode like I normally would right now?
2. Or is there an easier way to just install the CIAS? Like using rxtools once,install the cias and then being able to play the games in sysnand/GW-emunand.

Like I mentioned before, I don't really "need" CFW, my entire game library is on my GW-card and I don't really see anything benificial except the GBA/DSi .cias.
I hope someone can help me,thanks in advance!

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emunand seems to be related to Gateway, so is a flashcard like Gateway absolutely required to run customized games like undubs, even if I have now after installing menuhax a way to run homebrew? I mean, is there nothing like a USB Loader you can use on a Wii via Homebrew Channel?

There is an alternative way to make an emunand using Emunand9 Tool without needing a flashcart. You will still need to setup a CFW though such as rxtools, etc. There are many guides in the 3DS tutorials section of the forum.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
I just got myself a brand new 3DS from Amazon and it's on FW 2.1 (I was very surprised).
I'd like everything as hassle free as possible.

After reading up on everything I see I can put CFW on here, but there is a lot of faffing about etc.
Once CFW is installed is it as easy and hassle free as using a Sky3ds to play 3DS games? Because I am still tempted to just buy that and not bother with all the CFW stuff...

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I just got myself a brand new 3DS from Amazon and it's on FW 2.1 (I was very surprised).
I'd like everything as hassle free as possible.

After reading up on everything I see I can put CFW on here, but there is a lot of faffing about etc.
Once CFW is installed is it as easy and hassle free as using a Sky3ds to play 3DS games? Because I am still tempted to just buy that and not bother with all the CFW stuff...
lol . . . before that what is the full fw number

BasedIndex

splendid
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Russia
No additional hardware is needed.
If you're on n3ds(xl) 9.2 https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...ncluding-emunand-coldboot-cia-manager.405589/
for o3ds there are plenty tutorials to read.
I used this one.

Reactions: homebrewfan88

hakurou46

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I got CFW installed properly (I think), on a N3DS XL. emuNAND running at 9.5, FBI injected in H&S app.

Apparently(?) I need to install the .cia:s for all my old digital downloads, since I did this on the MicroSD that already was in use for my console.

No way I can somehow use the files leftover in my sysNAND /titles folder, or something? And that folder is close to 14 gigabytes, what can I safely delete? (I have backups, of course).

And just when is it time to svdt my savefiles? (or is that a no)

smora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If I already set my N3DS up with rxtools/pasta/emunand to 9.5 etc like the instructions on here, would a Gateway just be plug and play or would I need to do anything else complicated?

sl0ps

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I already set my N3DS up with rxtools/pasta/emunand to 9.5 etc like the instructions on here, would a Gateway just be plug and play or would I need to do anything else complicated?
That should be as easy as installing the bluecardfix.

Krymus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys, i have a really big problem with my 3DS.
I were using a 4GB sd card on my O3DS to run some games and i bought a 8GB card to upgrade my system memory. I copied everything from the sd to my pc and to the new sd card and formated the console (i think i messed up everything here) and run the new sd card with all the old files from the old sd on my 3DS.
It does not recognized any game and also i cant download them from the eshop for free again. What can i do?

PS: Firmware 10.3.

KevInChester

Trophies
XP
Country
Installed 9.2 and have installed RXtools. Everything runs fine except for Steamworld Heist which is a legit copy I purchased from the EShop. Normally I'd just spoof the firmware in Hans, but it doesn't show at all. Any way to run it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1