CompC

Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, here's another question:

I'd like to install Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga as a GBA VC title but keep playing from where I left off playing in an emulator. Is this possible?

homebrewfan88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi, I just got my first 3DS (the "New" 3DS), it is on the latest firmware and I did use the homebrew starter kit on it, so now by holding L when booting it up, I get to a homebrew channel, which looks a lot like the one on the Wii.

I had two goals when doing this, like on the Wii I first want to be able to run games from every region, which actually I already have accomplished now, since with the home brew starter kit I have an app now in the homebrew channel, which runs cartridges from every region.

My second goal is running customized games like undubs (western localizations which have again the Japanese voice files) and uncensored games (for example the western version of Bravely Default with the original character models).

I still didn't find out, what what is the best way to run those customized games in my N3DS and wonder if someone could give me some recommendations. I often came across releases for flash cards like one called Gateway, are those required or since I have now a homebrew capable console, could I somehow run games from the SD card (kinda like I can run customized games from a USB drive on my Wii)? And if I can do this from an SD card, what would be the best way, can I do everything via the homebrew channel or do I need a cfw?

Thanks in advance :-)

AceEvo55

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you very much for the help.
As an advanced user would you recommend gateway or sky3ds ? ( I can get used gateway quite a bit cheaper)

Gateway, definitely. Admittedly, I'm biased, as I own a Gateway and not a Sky3DS+, but there are few reasons why I'd suggest gateway.

1) Sky3DS has, I believe on two occasions now, released new cards to combat Nintendo's efforts against them. With gateway, updates are software based, and as far as we know, they'll stay that way.
(TL;DR: Sky3DS, you might need a new one eventually, Gateway will (hopefully) last the lifetime of the 3DS through software updates)
2. Gateway has extra features such as EmuNAND, cheats, and firmware spoofing.
3. I know that at one point, Sky3DS only allowed one game at a time, although admittedly I don't know if that has changed.

Really though, I'd say gateway is the better choice and if it's the cheaper of the two for you, you're in a great position to buy.

Cheers,
Ace

BasedIndex

splendid
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Russia
How do you run this game on your 3DS, running undubbed games is exactly what I want :-)
Well first you get that unsigned cia installed in emunand.
Then you run it, duh! Though if the game supports online mode I suggest that you stick with online patched cia. So yeah stay away from those. Had to reinstall whole 1Gb game to get it working. XD
Cheers.

Last edited by BasedIndex,

sl0ps

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I hate to post anything that has probably been explained in the numerous resources I've scanned over; however, I'm under the impression that once EmuNand 9.2 is setup for cakes, you aren't intended to update as the replaced firmware bin handles anything <=9.5

(If I'm wrong, please feel free to let me know.)

Vempajer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another quick question from a newbie to 3ds users playing pokimens
Let's say I've got ORIGINAL pokemon ORAS for 3ds
Then I buy R4 and play "backup" version of older pokemon versions for regular DS (i.e pokemon black)
Can I use pokebank to tranfer pokemons from backup pokemon black to original ORAS?

Is it possible to play rom hacks on R4, or will it crash?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for the help.
As an advanced user would you recommend gateway or sky3ds ? ( I can get used gateway quite a bit cheaper)

Gateway, definitely. Admittedly, I'm biased, as I own a Gateway and not a Sky3DS+, but there are few reasons why I'd suggest gateway.

1) Sky3DS has, I believe on two occasions now, released new cards to combat Nintendo's efforts against them. With gateway, updates are software based, and as far as we know, they'll stay that way.
(TL;DR: Sky3DS, you might need a new one eventually, Gateway will (hopefully) last the lifetime of the 3DS through software updates)
2. Gateway has extra features such as EmuNAND, cheats, and firmware spoofing.
3. I know that at one point, Sky3DS only allowed one game at a time, although admittedly I don't know if that has changed.

Really though, I'd say gateway is the better choice and if it's the cheaper of the two for you, you're in a great position to buy.

Cheers,
Ace
slow that gateway train down . . . . geteway requires that emunand its not a bonus (gateway is cfw and a flashcard). the only bonus you get from gateway is the ability to store your games on a flashcard (everyone who had a ds lite will love that) but the fact that you need to set up emunand and still pay 40 usd for the card
you could set up emunand and then a free cfw and (no flashcard games are stored on the consoles sd card) then simply download 3ds.cia's (instead or 3ds.rom's) and install it like a eshop game and not worry about getting banned for going online (instead of patching the .3ds (or risk a ban) then timing the rom (unlike 3ds roms 3ds cia games are already as small as a 3ds rom can be trimed to) dragging and droping it to the flashcard that only displays like 5 games at a time)

long story if you choose a free cfw you can get everything gateway offers and then use the 40 usd for a bigger sd card (3ds games are huge compared to ds roms)
here is a cfw guide for o3ds [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (Old 3DS and 2DS)
and one for n3ds [Tutorial] How-to install a CFW on a 9.0-9.2 N3DS without CN/OOT
one for sky [Guide] Everything under the Sky3DS | GBAtemp.net -> The ...
and gateway has a whole forum hosted on maxconsole Official 'Gateway 3DS' Support Forum

Last edited by wormdood,

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I hate to post anything that has probably been explained in the numerous resources I've scanned over; however, I'm under the impression that once EmuNand 9.2 is setup for cakes, you aren't intended to update as the replaced firmware bin handles anything <=9.5

(If I'm wrong, please feel free to let me know.)

That is only if you are on a new3DS. Old3ds supports 10.3 updated emunand though. You can update to 9.5 using sysupdater in emunand with the proper update files. Might want to do a emunand backup before hand with emunandtool though. This is unless Cakefw is different. I am not familiar with it but I know Gateway and rxtools supports 10.3 emunand on old3ds.

Last edited by Ryft,

bytar

Holy Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
on pasta cfw last version does firmlaunch allow me to import and play online legit cia's which require over 9.2 on 9.2 2ds sysnand? like triforce heroes? i am stuck with cryprofixed games. i fear of the bricking the consol try to install legit cia's over 9.2. but i saw they install fire emblem if and animal crossing. what about triforce heroes? or luigi and mario paper jam?

sl0ps

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is only if you are on a new3DS. Old3ds supports 10.3 updated emunand though. You can update to 9.5 using sysupdater in emunand with the proper update files. Might want to do a emunand backup before hand with emunandtool though. This is unless Cakefw is different. I am not familiar with it but I know Gateway and rxtools supports 10.3 emunand on old3ds.
That much I do know, I had updated with sysUpdater (the emuNand), to 9.5, and that was the issue (but now I think my cloned SysNand wasn't proper). Either way, your post came right as my EmuNand.bin finished! Thanks for the good advice, I'll edit later with the results!

EDIT: I've seen it before, but in order to save anyone who's looking for a fix to their problem. Switch themes on your emuNAND before running sysupdater. This will remove any themehax you might have had on emuNand or what is now your emuNand.

Last edited by sl0ps,
Reactions: Ryft

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on pasta cfw last version does firmlaunch allow me to import and play online legit cia's which require over 9.2 on 9.2 2ds sysnand? like triforce heroes? i am stuck with cryprofixed games. i fear of the bricking the consol try to install legit cia's over 9.2. but i saw they install fire emblem if and animal crossing. what about triforce heroes? or luigi and mario paper jam?
why not just play from emunand?
i dont see what the fascination with cia files on sysnand especially coming from someone who is on 9.2 or lower

Reactions: sl0ps

bytar

Holy Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
why not just play from emunand?
i dont see what the fascination with cia files on sysnand especially coming from someone who is on 9.2 or lower
man, because i am too stupid to install rxtools. it doesn't work for me. pasta cfw is a noob-friendly alternative. can you answer my question?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Fevirre @ Fevirre: https://gbatemp.net/threads/setting-up-and-modding-mkt-to-use-custom-music.655911/