Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
thanks for all the help in this thread so far, I have learned a ton.

Question set 1: n3DS on 9.0.0-20U

I just finished setting up a n3DS 9.0-9-2 using this tutorial.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial...ncluding-emunand-coldboot-cia-manager.405589/

I have unlinked sys and emunands and have a couple of older cia based roms loading fine. I haven't don't any system updates at all so I have 9.0.0-20U and RX-E 9.0.0-20U.
  • should I update my emunand? how?
  • is there any way to load .3ds files instead of .cia files (I only have a mac so converting looks like a pain)
  • anything else I should consider like big blue menu or anything else that will make it easier for my kid to use/ not wreck it?
Question set 2: o3DS (one XL, one not) on 4.5 with genuine Gateways

I never setup emunand on these and need to do some updates. I've been reading around here that I should update them to 9.0.0-20U. Should I do this?
  • anything I should know about updating the gateway cards and setting up emunamd? Know a good tutorial for this?
  • Do I need bigger internal microSD cards?
  • Will it nuke my kids' saves when I do this?
Question set 3 making them similar
  • any advice on making the n3DS and o3DS function similarly like the same kind of launching? This isn't a huge deal but would be cool
  • I'l prefer to only mange .3ds or .cias but not both. It isn't the end of the world if I have to deal with both.
Thanks again for helping an old timer!

Question 1: .3ds is only for the Gateway red card. You'll have to convert them (or download them directly as CIA) if you want to install them on your console.
Question 2: You only need to update to 9.0-9.2 if you want to use the autobooting feature. If you're quite hapy booting with the DS profile exploit or the browser, there's no need to update. And yeah if you do update then the saves on your games might appear corrupted. You can probably do something about it, like extracting them with savedatafiler, decrypting them, something else... (don't really know), if you really want to update.
Question 3:You can downgrade the system settings on the n3ds so that they both can boot with the DS profile exploit. If you follow the instructions in the Gateway 3ds manual you'll find out how to do this. For CFW, do the same as the manual but you'll then just run the rxTools or cakes ROP installer from your DS flashcart to set the exploit up (instead of the Gateway ROP installer).

Ihtc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an original DSTWO and an original 3DS XL .updated to latest 10.3. Nds and gba games work fine like they always did (I had jus taken everything glut of the drawer after over a year off) . I don't think k can play 3ds games with getting sky3ds or the new DSTWO plus is this correct ,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I have an original DSTWO and an original 3DS XL .updated to latest 10.3. Nds and gba games work fine like they always did (I had jus taken everything glut of the drawer after over a year off) . I don't think k can play 3ds games with getting sky3ds or the new DSTWO plus is this correct ,
Sky3DS yes, DSTwo plus no (requires 9.2 or less).

Ihtc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS yes, DSTwo plus no (requires 9.2 or less).

That's what I figured. Only the new DSTWO plus can use the current fir are, old one requires the old firmware. Now I see people saying there may be a downgrade method soon. Is this correct ? I was also reading their in sky3ds threads when people where comparing getting the new or grange sky3ds plus vs he blue. A guy here locally is selling a blue one I want to buy and he has a new 3ds XL with the face tracking. Thinking of getting his package locally as opposed to waiting for a sky3ds + orange. Any thoughts recommendations ?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
That's what I figured. Only the new DSTWO plus can use the current fir are, old one requires the old firmware. Now I see people saying there may be a downgrade method soon. Is this correct ? I was also reading their in sky3ds threads when people where comparing getting the new or grange sky3ds plus vs he blue. A guy here locally is selling a blue one I want to buy and he has a new 3ds XL with the face tracking. Thinking of getting his package locally as opposed to waiting for a sky3ds + orange. Any thoughts recommendations ?
No. DSTwo plus is a Gateway emulator, so needs the same firmware as a Gateway (9.2 or less).
There is a new exploit coming. If you have some patience, wait a few weeks for it instead of spending money on a Sky.

sugus32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I have a 2ds with 7.2.0-17E firmware.
I think (i'm totally a noob at the scene of this console) that I can do something called CFW to load 3ds roms and I'm looking for information or tutorials on how to do it.
Thanks a million.

Ihtc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. DSTwo plus is a Gateway emulator, so needs the same firmware as a Gateway (9.2 or less).
There is a new exploit coming. If you have some patience, wait a few weeks for it instead of spending money on a Sky.

Ok, I understand. I have an original DSTWO though , NOT a plus so it appears I will need a new card regardless. I originally got the DSTWO way back to play GBA, and DS roms, since at the time 3DS roms weren't possible (or it was only a select few with a gateway card back then). So to clarify with an original DSTWO (not the plus) I am going to need some form of new cart? The reason i ask about Sky3DS is if I am going to need a new card anyway, and the fact I want the new 3DS XL (with face trakcing) I was going to get a package off the guy locally here and save a few bucks, getting both a new 3DS XL (used but the new face track version) and his Sky3DS Blue button for a decent price. However if I do not need a new card and my original DSTWO will work, I may wait to find a deal on a used new 3DS system and just hold onto my current DSTWO card. Thanks!

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I have a 2ds with 7.2.0-17E firmware.
I think (i'm totally a noob at the scene of this console) that I can do something called CFW to load 3ds roms and I'm looking for information or tutorials on how to do it.
Thanks a million.
[Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS)

Ok, I understand. I have an original DSTWO though , NOT a plus so it appears I will need a new card regardless. I originally got the DSTWO way back to play GBA, and DS roms, since at the time 3DS roms weren't possible (or it was only a select few with a gateway card back then). So to clarify with an original DSTWO (not the plus) I am going to need some form of new cart? The reason i ask about Sky3DS is if I am going to need a new card anyway, and the fact I want the new 3DS XL (with face trakcing) I was going to get a package off the guy locally here and save a few bucks, getting both a new 3DS XL (used but the new face track version) and his Sky3DS Blue button for a decent price. However if I do not need a new card and my original DSTWO will work, I may wait to find a deal on a used new 3DS system and just hold onto my current DSTWO card. Thanks!
you don't wont need sky3ds soon as the downgrade/hacking method will be a reality in due time, ("then if you have been under a rock you would not know that") you will be able to play 3ds "backups" without a flashcard
and your scds2 will continue to function just as it does currently (assuming the cards fw is up to date) no natter the ds model from the original fat ds to the n3dsxl . . .
also there seems to be a bit of confusion on your end the sky3ds card and the scds2 are very different if the case was in fact that the scds2 did not work the ds roms could not be played on the sky3ds, the sky3ds only plays 3ds roms

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Ihtc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS)

you don't wont need sky3ds soon as the downgrade/hacking method will be a reality in due time, ("then if you have been under a rock you would not know that") you will be able to play 3ds "backups" without a flashcard
and your scds2 will continue to function just as it does currently (assuming the cards fw is up to date) no natter the ds model from the original fat ds to the n3dsxl . . .
also there seems to be a bit of confusion on your end the sky3ds card and the scds2 are very different if the case was in fact that the scds2 did not work the ds roms could not be played on the sky3ds, the sky3ds only plays 3ds roms

i have been under a rock! thanks for clarification lol. Theres tons of info out there. Now i get it.. Downgrade and running custom firmware would allow playing the 3DS roms. My DSTWO is still good for what it used to do, playing my ds and GBA roms. Thanks for clearing that up , I appreciate it!

Hazzer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi so I installed cfw on two 3ds's using this video

On one all the games are viewable in the sysnand from what I just read this means the nands are still linked on this system. Can I still unlink them without to much trouble? I already gave it to my daughter and have a tone of games and now pictures video saves ect. on the sd card

Ps it has two files with the long string of numbers and letters it did have three but I deleted one cause I thought I screwed up cause my sons has only two

Last edited by Hazzer,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi so I installed cfw on two 3ds's using this video

On one all the games are viewable in the sysnand from what I just read this means the nands are still linked on this system. Can I still unlink them without to much trouble? I already gave it to my daughter and have a tone of games and now pictures video saves ect. on the sd card

Ps it has two files with the long string of numbers and letters it did have three but I deleted one cause I thought I screwed up cause my sons has only two
ok so if you have been installing games to your emunand then it is obviously the bigger folder so . . . backup and/or delete the smaller one then unlink your nands . . . you will need/(probably want) to install/inject fbi to sysnand after so you can use sysupdater to update sysnand 9.0/9.2 and then use menuhax to autoboot cfw

Last edited by wormdood,

ElephantJuice

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I'm new here and I'd just like to ask a few things. I'm not sure if anyone is answering these and I'm sorry if they've already been answered but here goes;

• I've been wanting a 3DS XL for a while now but haven't been able to afford one along with games until now. Should I get the "New" 3DS XL as opposed to the regular one?
  • I've read about something called "Sky3DS+" and apparently it can play most 3DS games on the 3DS without issue. I had the original R4 on the NDS and it was pretty easy to operate. Is Sky3DS worth it and easy to configure? Does it work as I assume? (able to run ANY 3DS game)
  • If I did get a New 3DS XL and a Sky3DS, how much storage would I need on the flash card for about 10 games?
Thank you for your time and have a happy new year!

Chickenhunterx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Allright so I'm trying to install rxtools or really any cfw onto a 9.2.0-12u o3dsxl but since I updated to this firmware using a game browserhax isn't working iv got ninjhax working tho but I'm kinda at a loss of what to do after that

ElephantJuice

Trophies
XP
Country
1: YES
2: yes, it runs every 3ds game, but is region locked. And sky 3ds is very simple!
3: Sky 3ds has no rom limit more!
Thank you for the quick reply! I have some more questions if you don't mind.

What do you mean by region locked? I know what it means but do you mean that I can't play games from anywhere except from UK (that's where I live)
I meant what size should my SD card be, Sky3ds obviously can't hold unlimited games.

Do you have any guides?

AceEvo55

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for the quick reply! I have some more questions if you don't mind.

What do you mean by region locked? I know what it means but do you mean that I can't play games from anywhere except from UK (that's where I live)
I meant what size should my SD card be, Sky3ds obviously can't hold unlimited games.

Do you have any guides?

1. Yes, the region lock will prevent you from playing US/JPN roms. I believe Gateway circumvents the region lock but I'm not sure if there's a way around it on Sky3DS, even the new one.

2. As far as size goes, I went for a 32gb MicroSD card and I have 17 games that total about ~22-25GB. I would definitely suggest no smaller than 32, and if you can find a good deal on a 64, bigger never hurts!

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new here and I'd just like to ask a few things. I'm not sure if anyone is answering these and I'm sorry if they've already been answered but here goes;

• I've been wanting a 3DS XL for a while now but haven't been able to afford one along with games until now. Should I get the "New" 3DS XL as opposed to the regular one?
  • I've read about something called "Sky3DS+" and apparently it can play most 3DS games on the 3DS without issue. I had the original R4 on the NDS and it was pretty easy to operate. Is Sky3DS worth it and easy to configure? Does it work as I assume? (able to run ANY 3DS game)
  • If I did get a New 3DS XL and a Sky3DS, how much storage would I need on the flash card for about 10 games?
Thank you for your time and have a happy new year!
first off the 3ds scene is a little nuts right now
ok . . .so this is the scoop currently sky3ds flashcard will work on any fw (not as easy as a r4 but simple enough) but it is not the only way to play downloaded 3ds games there is also a free solution cfw. only 9.2 fw or lower (rare these days) can use cfw atm (recent happenings say there will be a way to downgrade any 3ds in due time) . . . so my advice is to wait weeks-months before buying anything

but to answer your questions directly
1. yes use this guide to find one that can use a free cfw N3DS XL Firmware by version number (unless you want to pay $80-90usd for sky)
2. worth it no (read above) and easy sure here is a guide for sky users [Guide] Everything under the Sky3DS | GBAtemp.net -> The ...
3. games are about 1 gb-ish each (pokemon or/as are 1.8gb respectively) the bigger the sd card the better
Allright so I'm trying to install rxtools or really any cfw onto a 9.2.0-12u o3dsxl but since I updated to this firmware using a game browserhax isn't working iv got ninjhax working tho but I'm kinda at a loss of what to do after that
go to that iso site and download a cia of the proper browser version for your system (btw its 20U you need) backup your nand and install the cia you downloaded to sysnand

1. Yes, the region lock will prevent you from playing US/JPN roms. I believe Gateway circumvents the region lock but I'm not sure if there's a way around it on Sky3DS, even the new one.
there is a way sky gives you cubic ninja, CN gives you the homebrew channel, the HBC gives you hans, hans gives you region free . . . done

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: ElephantJuice

Chickenhunterx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks I'll take a look for that but I do have one more question. Anytime I try to run fbi it freezes iv tried both 1.4.17 and 1.4.15 both freeze any ideas?

ElephantJuice

Trophies
XP
Country
but to answer your questions directly
1. yes use this guide to find one that can use a free cfw N3DS XL Firmware by version number (unless you want to pay $80-90usd for sky)
2. worth it no (read above) and easy sure here is a guide for sky users [Guide] Everything under the Sky3DS | GBAtemp.net -> The ...
3. games are about 1 gb-ish each (pokemon or/as are 1.8gb respectively) the bigger the sd card the better

Do you think I should get a New 3ds over the old one? And do you think it's possible that the sky 3ds will be unusable with future updates?

MegaBoyEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi,

My first attempt with custom firmware on my O3DSXL ended up by updating SysNAND to 10.3, some weeks ago.
I've made mistake by not knowing that by exiting System Settings in emuNAND would reset to sysnand, than I updated.

Well, I followed a guide that went through downgrading to 4.x using Gateway (factory version was 6.1 if I remember), and set MSET to boot rxTools.
Unfortunately I only have a NAND backup of the 4.x already downgraded, and did not made the original NAND.

I know that not all titles are downgraded when using gateway.dg files, so there are leftovers, I suppose, on my current 10.3.

My question is, with the advance of the memchunkhax2, that will allow downgrading back to 9.2, what should I do?

1- Just downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2 and stick there as is; or
2- After downgrading to 9.2, use Gateway Menu, restore the 4.x backup.
- Update sysnand to 6.2 with my Zelda Between Worlds cart;
- Use sysupdater to 9.2.

I know method 2 seems pointless, since I will go from 9.2 and end up again in 9.2, but I would like to know method would give me the cleanest system titles.

Edit: I don't care about MSET anymore. I will use menuhax.

Last edited by MegaBoyEXE,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh