• Replies 53,775
  • Likes 43

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Given the scenario of owning a fresh retail copy of SSB3DS and an N3DS and the itch to play online, Can you update a retail cart with CFW/Gateway?

AFAIK with gateway the only way to play your retail game is to boot it in gateway classic mode. But alas, this disables freemultipatcher which is needed for eshop spoofing.

Booting gateway sysnand/emunand mode doesn't even detect the retail cartridge.

I'm not sure about CFWs. From what i've read there's nothing on the subject.

Also while i'm at it, is it possible to create a "perfect pseudo-legit system" in which;

1)the firmware is <9.2

2) doesn't require any hardware to maintain (i.e gateway/cubic ninja but initial setup/rare occasions are acceptable)

3) allows eshop/firmware spoofing/region free for the main purpose of updating legit .cias

4) allows playing and updating retail games of different regions

5) homebrew

All without having anything to maintain it with except a card reader and the 3ds itself.

Mackk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I have an Australian Old 3DS XL (legend of Zelda limited edition to be exact) with firmware Ver. 8.1.0-16E.
Was wondering if there is any reason to not update firmware to a later version or if I should keep putting it off like I have been to have access to certain exploits if there are any.
I wouldn't mind running some homebrew and some back ups of roms sometime.

(Already posted over in the console/hardware forum but thought this thread might be more appropriate on the flashcard and firmware side)

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Given the scenario of owning a fresh retail copy of SSB3DS and an N3DS and the itch to play online, Can you update a retail cart with CFW/Gateway?

AFAIK with gateway the only way to play your retail game is to boot it in gateway classic mode. But alas, this disables freemultipatcher which is needed for eshop spoofing.

Booting gateway sysnand/emunand mode doesn't even detect the retail cartridge.

I'm not sure about CFWs. From what i've read there's nothing on the subject.

Also while i'm at it, is it possible to create a "perfect pseudo-legit system" in which;

1)the firmware is <9.2

2) doesn't require any hardware to maintain (i.e gateway/cubic ninja but initial setup/rare occasions are acceptable)

3) allows eshop/firmware spoofing/region free for the main purpose of updating legit .cias

4) allows playing and updating retail games of different regions

5) homebrew

All without having anything to maintain it with except a card reader and the 3ds itself.

You can try to find the update for that game in CIA format online and install it (either GW Mode or CFW would work).
Then you can just run the cartridge in Classic Mode (GW) or normally with a CFW and it will detect the game update (as long as the game update you installed has the same region as your game).

You can also simply run FreeMultiPatcher with a CFW and then go to eShop to update the game.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi,

I have an Australian Old 3DS XL (legend of Zelda limited edition to be exact) with firmware Ver. 8.1.0-16E.
Was wondering if there is any reason to not update firmware to a later version or if I should keep putting it off like I have been to have access to certain exploits if there are any.
I wouldn't mind running some homebrew and some back ups of roms sometime.

(Already posted over in the console/hardware forum but thought this thread might be more appropriate on the flashcard and firmware side)

update the firmware for what exactly?

You can already run CFWs and homebrews with that firmware and you could use emunand and have emunand updated if you wanted too. No need to mess with the real system.

Arithmatics

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
You can try to find the update for that game in CIA format online and install it (either GW Mode or CFW would work).
Then you can just run the cartridge in Classic Mode (GW) or normally with a CFW and it will detect the game update (as long as the game update you installed has the same region as your game).

You can also simply run FreeMultiPatcher with a CFW and then go to eShop to update the game.

I see.. So CFWs allow you to play retail games in their version of "pseudo-emunand"? I think it's time for me to start trying out CFWs then. Thanks lemmanuelilililolem

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I see.. So CFWs allow you to play retail games in their version of "pseudo-emunand"? I think it's time for me to start trying out CFWs then. Thanks lemmanuelilililolem

Yeah. You can try Reinand since it's the most recommended one for N3DS. CakesFW or the latest nightly version of rxTools will work too tho.

Arithmatics

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
well... it's pretty stable for daily use. It simply doesn't have some features implemented yet that work right now with an O3DS.
But to play games and common uses, it doesn't have any issue.
How do you install it on N3DS? Everything points to fbi injection but that's only for O and 2DS. Also I don't have a copy of cubic ninja. Only gateway and OOT

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
How do you install it on N3DS? Everything points to fbi injection but that's only for O and 2DS. Also I don't have a copy of cubic ninja. Only gateway and OOT

I'm not the best person to ask since I don't have a N3DS and because of that, I never tried it myself.
However I believe you can downgrade Mset first with Gateway and then you can use rxTools' ROP installer (the stuff used to install the Profile exploit).
In any case, you should ask in their thread since you'll get a much more accurate answer about it. ;)

Mackk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
update the firmware for what exactly?

You can already run CFWs and homebrews with that firmware and you could use emunand and have emunand updated if you wanted too. No need to mess with the real system.

Was wanting to update for online play and more features, but from what I take it I can just run the latest firmware off emunand for all that?

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Was wanting to update for online play and more features, but from what I take it I can just run the latest firmware off emunand for all that?

Exactly. If you have a O3DS, there's really no need to even worry since emunand can give you all that. Emunand is a copy of your real system (sysnand) and can be updated up to the latest firmware when you're using a O3DS. That means that if you play while using emunand, you can run basically any game and you can also access eShop or do anything you would be able to do with the latest firmware. There's really no need to update sysnand at all (and no advantage).

Mackk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly. If you have a O3DS, there's really no need to even worry since emunand can give you all that. Emunand is a copy of your real system (sysnand) and can be updated up to the latest firmware when you're using a O3DS. That means that if you play while using emunand, you can run basically any game and you can also access eShop or do anything you would be able to do with the latest firmware. There's really no need to update sysnand at all (and no advantage).

I'm assuming using the gateway card would be the best way to go? Seeing its easier for me to get than a copy of cubic ninja and looking around the stickies I'm not even sure if tubehax is a thing anymore. Unless of course there are things a "soft" exploited system can do that a system with a gateway card can not.

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm assuming using the gateway card would be the best way to go? Seeing its easier for me to get than a copy of cubic ninja and looking around the stickies I'm not even sure if tubehax is a thing anymore. Unless of course there are things a "soft" exploited system can do that a system with a gateway card can not.

Gateway is a paid solution. CFWs are free. That's the first difference.
Aside from that, CFWs can only run .cia roms (digital version of games/apps/etc, just like eShop) while GW can run .cias and .3ds/.3dz roms (direct dumps of game cartridges).
Gateway makes it easier on that level for sure. It also has the bonus of bringing a DS flashcart (not that good sure but still useful). You're able to get a DS flashcart for cheap even without GW though.

Since you have a O3DS and you can use the browser, you're able to run CFWs that way. It would be the same way you would have to run Gateway (without downgrading).

So the choice is really yours. You can try to see if CFWs suit you. If you think it's too complicated, you can get a GW afterwards.
Also, if you want to try a CFW, I recommend rxTools. Best CFW for O3DS and not that hard to set up. Emunand can also be shared between GW and rxTools since it's compatible between the two. Just check the thread if you have any doubts about it.
And you can find the latest version here: http://lavanoid.no-ip.org
A good guide to set it up is here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So I can run games I've bought from the eShop on a CFW? Can I access the eShop when I install the CFW and buy games? Thanks for all the help.

Yes, as long as you're using emunand and as long as emunand is updated to the latest firmware (common thing with a O3DS), you can access eShop without any issue, buy games, play games, etc. Basically, you can do anything that you would on a "normal" console running the latest firmware.

Arithmatics

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Yes, as long as you're using emunand and as long as emunand is updated to the latest firmware (common thing with a O3DS), you can access eShop without any issue, buy games, play games, etc. Basically, you can do anything that you would on a "normal" console running the latest firmware.
Just be sure thr latest emunand is supported. Else you'll end up with a black screen

AkiC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought sky3ds when 9.9 was latest firmware, so if i update my 3ds to the latest synsad will it still work. Thanks in advance for the replies

Ripper00420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know whatever happened to the possible development of a 9.3+ downgrade using game cartages that require update packages to play on different firmwares....?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Does the speed I get my Micro SD card at make much of a difference, if any?
Class 10 would be your best bet, and great results in speed boost on both new/old 3DS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)