• Replies 53,797
  • Likes 43

octopus

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Is it possible to transfer ACNL save from a cartridge to a ROM (3ds, cia)?
The same question for TLoZ: OoT 3D. I think it should use old encryption, hence it might be possible.

dbgtrgr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few questions. Sorry if I didn't research something well enough.

I'm on 9.2u, 3DSXL. I really mainly just want access to eShop while retaining homebrew capabilities. I ordered a Gateway because that seemed like the simplest method to do anything (Especially backing up / restoring NAND).

Downgrading to 4.2 and having eShop access on the emunand requires the emu and sysnand being linked, yes? This would lead to the weirdness like having to unwrap added things on the emunand every time and things getting deleted if I access data management on sysnand?

There is no way to access emunand without WiFi on >4.5, correct?

And the file generated by Gateway for a NAND backup is restorable via a hard mod if required, yes?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few questions. Sorry if I didn't research something well enough.

I'm on 9.2u, 3DSXL. I really mainly just want access to eShop while retaining homebrew capabilities. I ordered a Gateway because that seemed like the simplest method to do anything (Especially backing up / restoring NAND).

Downgrading to 4.2 and having eShop access on the emunand requires the emu and sysnand being linked, yes? This would lead to the weirdness like having to unwrap added things on the emunand every time and things getting deleted if I access data management on sysnand?

There is no way to access emunand without WiFi on >4.5, correct?

And the file generated by Gateway for a NAND backup is restorable via a hard mod if required, yes?
I think you have things a little backward.

This is what I would suggest doing.
1. Install gateway. Make a NAND backup immedately.
2. format a 9.2 emunand. Make a backup with emunand tool.
3. Upgrade emunand to 9.5. Make a backup
4. Downgrade sysnand to 4.x if you wish. (See cons below). Backup
5. Create a new emunand. Backup, upgrade to 9.5, backup.
6. Format sysnand or emunand to unlink. Whichever you prefer.

Eshop access does not require linked nands.
Currently >4.5 requires browser exploit. Not necessarily internet access if you setup a server on a PC or android phone.
If you upgrade sysnand beyond 9.2 you would need a hard mod to restore. Below it is not necessary.
Downgrading has the undesired effect of making your current retail cart saves unusable. A deal breaker for some. There are some solutions for some games but not all. None of them are simple. See the emunand/save data mega guide at the top of this sub for technical details.

Reactions: cvskid

BoomtownBilly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Technically you do not NEED to install emunand with gateway but I never understood why you would not want to. emunand is a copy of of sysnand that runs off the SD card. It allows you to do many things but the most important is you can update it to the latest firmware to allow running games and eshop access without updating the real firmware on the unit and loosing the ability to run the exploit. Used properly it becomes your only gaming environment and can easily be backup, restored and recreated.

Example: until recently the sysnand needed to be on 4.x to run the gateway exploit. But the new games required >4.5 so without an emunand on or above the required firmware you could not run the games.

You did not state if you were refering to sysnand or emunand, but I do believe both those games run with 8.1. Verify at 3ds.essh.co

Thanks for that, is it something I can do with a 7.x firmware?

dbgtrgr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you have things a little backward.

This is what I would suggest doing.
1. Install gateway. Make a NAND backup immedately.
2. format a 9.2 emunand. Make a backup with emunand tool.
3. Upgrade emunand to 9.5. Make a backup
4. Downgrade sysnand to 4.x if you wish. (See cons below). Backup
5. Create a new emunand. Backup, upgrade to 9.5, backup.
6. Format sysnand or emunand to unlink. Whichever you prefer.

Eshop access does not require linked nands.
Currently >4.5 requires browser exploit. Not necessarily internet access if you setup a server on a PC or android phone.
If you upgrade sysnand beyond 9.2 you would need a hard mod to restore. Below it is not necessary.
Downgrading has the undesired effect of making your current retail cart saves unusable. A deal breaker for some. There are some solutions for some games but not all. None of them are simple. See the emunand/save data mega guide at the top of this sub for technical details.

Thanks for the information, had forgotten about the save encryption difference. To confirm, it's just physical carts, right? eShop saves will work?

For the eShop thing, I got that from this [Downgrading thread], I'm assuming now it just means they need to be linked before downgrading, not necessarily after? Guess I misunderstood.

For the hard mod NAND access, I was just asking if the file made by Gateway for a backup can be restored using a hard mod or if it's somehow a file only Gateway itself can restore due to a special filetype or something.

sbm888

Trophies
XP
Country
hi another noob question - to play retail version of Monster Hunter 4 online, can I still use FW 9.0? or will it force me to update? my N3DSXL has never been online before, so not sure what is required to play online games

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the information, had forgotten about the save encryption difference. To confirm, it's just physical carts, right? eShop saves will work?

For the eShop thing, I got that from this [Downgrading thread], I'm assuming now it just means they need to be linked before downgrading, not necessarily after? Guess I misunderstood.

For the hard mod NAND access, I was just asking if the file made by Gateway for a backup can be restored using a hard mod or if it's somehow a file only Gateway itself can restore due to a special filetype or something.
I have never done it but it can be a diy project if you have soldering skills. There are also members who provide the service.

Regarding the unlinking, you are starting from scratch so you will not have an existing emunand that you have played on and want to preserve, so it is really nothing to to be concerned with. I suggested creating all those emunands to preserve your options if you change your mind on the downgrading.

Not sure about the encryption on eshop games. I don't use them as I dislike the whole system nintendo has. Best to check the mega guide, if the info is not there mmm will answer your question.

dbgtrgr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never done it but it can be a diy project if you have soldering skills. There are also members who provide the service.

Regarding the unlinking, you are starting from scratch so you will not have an existing emunand that you have played on and want to preserve, so it is really nothing to to be concerned with. I suggested creating all those emunands to preserve your options if you change your mind on the downgrading.

Not sure about the encryption on eshop games. I don't use them as I dislike the whole system nintendo has. Best to check the mega guide, if the info is not there mmm will answer your question.

Alright, thanks for the information.

Reactions: thorasgar

xlim3y

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I am sure that this has been asked before, but my rudimentary understanding of the 3ds hacking scene wouldn't let me find a simple answer. So please help a noob out.

I have a new 3ds xl on 9.5 I am looking for the easiest way to run nes and snes emulation on my xl.

Is there a flash cart that just allows those 2 types of emulators to run?

Do I need to look for something else in my search? Thanks very much in advance.

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi another noob question - to play retail version of Monster Hunter 4 online, can I still use FW 9.0? or will it force me to update? my N3DSXL has never been online before, so not sure what is required to play online games

You can't play online without updating cause there is a update for the game that makes you go through eShop. If you are on a exploitable 3DS you might be able to install the update via cia on your emuNAND. If you are on the N3DS then you will have to update unfortunately.

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I am sure that this has been asked before, but my rudimentary understanding of the 3ds hacking scene wouldn't let me find a simple answer. So please help a noob out.

I have a new 3ds xl on 9.5 I am looking for the easiest way to run nes and snes emulation on my xl.

Is there a flash cart that just allows those 2 types of emulators to run?

Do I need to look for something else in my search? Thanks very much in advance.

From what I understand you the only way that I can think of is something like the SuperDS two with the emulators but I am not sure if it supports 9.5 (I just tested it on mine) and if you can still get one.

BananaMuffinFrenzy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a quick question regarding the system transfer process from emunand to sysnand. From what I've researched, an emunand to sysnand transfer should work without issue, but I want to be absolutely certain before attempting it.

I have an original 3DS XL with 9.5 emunand and a New 3DS XL that unfortunately arrived on 9.4. Once I update my N3DS to 9.5, will it be safe to perform a system transfer between the two?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: know what? fuck you guys, i've decided to curse you guys with some knowledge: i'm too sexy by...