• Views 4,471,653
  • Replies 53,776
  • Likes 43

NutellaSwirl

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Emunand isn't a requirement for using cias. In the video GW released, you can see them using it fine.
And there's no problem in using a miniSD card with an adapter to work as a SD card.
Thanks! Also, if I run out of space on my 32gb SD card, can I just also use a 16gb microSD in the Red Gateway card and I can play games from both?

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so I have a 9.2 3ds and awaiting the gateway update. However I have animal crossing installed on the system downloaded from the eshop. Assuming emunand works the same way in the new update is keeping the animal crossing game and it's save on my 3ds as simple as backing up my sd card and then copying my backup back after creating emunand and would I be able to access that animal crossing from emunand when it is installed on the sysnand?
Any help would be great! :D

Also a noob here with the same situation/question. I've tried looking around for an answer/guide, but there doesn't seem to be one. So, I'll answer your question with the information I was able to find, and if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. As a point of clarification for others, the question is "Can I transfer/backup my save file from my eshop version of acnl to [anywhere else] (my computer, another 3ds, gateway 3ds, etc.)?".

The answer is: there's no way to transfer your eshop ACNL (Animal crossing new leaf, for the keywords) save file off your SD card. Based on information in this post, and my own testing, you will have to keep your old SD card with your acnl save and acnl eshop download, and the information contained in the internal memory of the 3ds. The best that you can do is _transfer_ (not make a copy, but transfer, since there's some save-id thing stored in the memory of the 3ds off the sd card) your save to another SD card. The save file is dependent on the state of the internal memory of the NAND. In other words, if you format your 3ds, or try to load the save on a different 3ds (or want to try and transfer the save to emunand somehow, to use with GateWay), the save file simply won't work.

Probably the reason that a utility to get around this doesn't exist (to my knowledge), is because the type of person who would need that utility isn't the type of person who is able to write such a utility. i.e. whatever genius out there capable of getting around the internal save-id thing isn't the type of person who would have bought the restrictive eshop version in the first place.

NutellaSwirl

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would there be any trouble downloading a cia rom off the internet, rather than converting it myself? It would still use only my machine's header right?

WzsEeee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jordan
Hey guys, I bought a gateway not too long ago. I was wondering, if I were to install the Fantasy life DLC .cia, will I be able to have it on a legit physical copy of Fantasy Life?

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Would there be any trouble downloading a cia rom off the internet, rather than converting it myself? It would still use only my machine's header right?

the 3DS has no header. games/roms have headers. cia/eshop games don't need headers.
also.. no problem with downloading from the internet. probably better than doing it yourself because you might screw it up

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, I bought a gateway not too long ago. I was wondering, if I were to install the Fantasy life DLC .cia, will I be able to have it on a legit physical copy of Fantasy Life?
yes. the dlc stays installed in the 3DS
No, it is not possible at the moment since retail cartridges only boot in classic mode.
Most cia do not work in classic mode unfortunately.

Reactions: WzsEeee

midnight1001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ok so I have a 9.2 3ds. I have animal crossing downloaded from the eshop on it. When gateway releases their update I want to install cia files it. now can I install cia files within gateway mode without creating an emunand? And if an emunand is nessassary is there a way to keep my downloaded animal crossing and its save at the very least on sysnand. For example is it possible to backup my sd card then format emunand then copy my sd backup back to the sd. I don't care if my animal crossing is not on emunand as long as I can keep it on my sysnand...
Any help is much appreciated!

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Ok so I have a 9.2 3ds. I have animal crossing downloaded from the eshop on it. When gateway releases their update I want to install cia files it. now can I install cia files within gateway mode without creating an emunand? And if an emunand is nessassary is there a way to keep my downloaded animal crossing and its save at the very least on sysnand. For example is it possible to backup my sd card then format emunand then copy my sd backup back to the sd. I don't care if my animal crossing is not on emunand as long as I can keep it on my sysnand...
Any help is much appreciated!

you don't need emunand, it is optional. but without it you won't be able to access the eshop.
you can keep your game and save do not worry.

Reactions: midnight1001

midnight1001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you don't need emunand, it is optional. but without it you won't be able to access the eshop.
you can keep your game and save do not worry.

Ok :D so if I backup my sd create emunand and then copy my backup back to my sd card I will still have my animal crossing game and save! Ok cool! One other question creating an emunand basically formats the sd card right?

And I'm glad to here I won't need to create emunand to install cias. However is there a drawback or and significant risk to not installing the cias on emunand? Besides not being able to access eshop which I'm not to fussed about.

Thanks for your help

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Ok :D so if I backup my sd create emunand and then copy my backup back to my sd card I will still have my animal crossing game and save! Ok cool! One other question creating an emunand basically formats the sd card right?

And I'm glad to here I won't need to create emunand to install cias. However is there a drawback or and significant risk to not installing the cias on emunand? Besides not being able to access eshop which I'm not to fussed about.

Thanks for your help

yes, make a backup before you make emunand and simply copy it all back after.
not really any risk, i mean, theoretically if you installed a malware cia (they don't exist, i hope they never do) - it would brick your 3ds. but if you installed it on emunand it's easy to fix.

DuffyDavid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I asked this in the flashcart thread but the most recent response was on December 7th so I thought I would ask here:
I just bought a new "new" 3DS XL from Australia (im australian) and I am wondering 3 things: Is there another flashcart on the market like the superds32 or whatever it was that let me play GBA GBC and NDS games on my NDS or are they only NDS/3DS compatible now?
my second question is is there a released flashcart that works on the new 3DS and does it work with GBA and NDS games. My final question is Will using a flashcart not allow me to use the online features of games like super smash brothers and pokemon ORAS I have no plans to pirate any 3DS games however so will that make a difference.
EDIT: I have bought legal copies of ORAS and super smash I am not asking about using rom versions I am asking if I need to keep it in offline mode or something to use a flashcart
Thanks for the help

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
I asked this in the flashcart thread but the most recent response was on December 7th so I thought I would ask here:
I just bought a new "new" 3DS XL from Australia (im australian) and I am wondering 3 things: Is there another flashcart on the market like the superds32 or whatever it was that let me play GBA GBC and NDS games on my NDS or are they only NDS/3DS compatible now?
my second question is is there a released flashcart that works on the new 3DS and does it work with GBA and NDS games. My final question is Will using a flashcart not allow me to use the online features of games like super smash brothers and pokemon ORAS I have no plans to pirate any 3DS games however so will that make a difference.
EDIT: I have bought legal copies of ORAS and super smash I am not asking about using rom versions I am asking if I need to keep it in offline mode or something to use a flashcart
Thanks for the help
If you're only wanting to use DS and GBA ROMs then I believe the Supercard DSTWO would be the best option for you. As far as I am aware it is compatible with the latest 3DS firmware and they have been ensuring that it doesn't stay blocked. You'll still be able to go online perfectly fine with your retails carts because you'll be on the latest firmware version.

DuffyDavid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're only wanting to use DS and GBA ROMs then I believe the Supercard DSTWO would be the best option for you. As far as I am aware it is compatible with the latest 3DS firmware and they have been ensuring that it doesn't stay blocked. You'll still be able to go online perfectly fine with your retails carts because you'll be on the latest firmware version.

So I can still use a superdstwo if im not using 3DS games? I thought that only the gateway had been patched for the new 3DS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn