• Views 4,506,859
  • Replies 53,794
  • Likes 43

Luke McScary

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hey, I'm switching from r4i to gateway and I'm just wondering if that's safe to do? and do I need to remove/uninstall anything from r4i before switching?

theeboredone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My apologies for asking this. I've been a long time lurker, and I always saw this thread in the sticky section that was titled along the lines of "Has the 3DS been hacked yet?" and the OP would say "No" and would be updated when it did.

So...can we play 3DS roms on our 3DS now?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
hey, I'm switching from r4i to gateway and I'm just wondering if that's safe to do? and do I need to remove/uninstall anything from r4i before switching?
not really "necessary", but if you want to start fresh, just run the gateway installer, then copy the gateway launcher.dat on, then choose format emunand, and it should be as if you never used a r4i
Any method for downloading/transferring saves for sd card/eshop downloaded games?
nope eshop saves are tied to your console, not sure if doing a system transfer transfers your save too......i believe it does, but that would only work from 1 console to another and it would transfer your games with it

My apologies for asking this. I've been a long time lurker, and I always saw this thread in the sticky section that was titled along the lines of "Has the 3DS been hacked yet?" and the OP would say "No" and would be updated when it did.

yeah 3ds roms are playable, but your 3ds has to be on 4.5 or lower, and it needs you to buy a flashcard

roxas-89

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt

Only 3DS with firmware from 4.1 - 4.5 can play 3DS roms, any 3DS with a firmware above that can't.

theeboredone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, a few more questions. I am getting ready to purchase a 3DS or XL (haven't decided yet). If I choose to buy it from someone off craigslist, I need to check the firmware on the 3DS itself to make sure it's 4.5 or below, correct? I assume if they are selling a game with it that recently came out, then the DS would have been updated to something past 4.5?

Furthermore, let's say I got a Gateway to play my games on. Can I still buy games from the eshop (Phoenix Wright), or am I locked out of that option?

Thanks!

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
got a question about pokemon x/y on gateway, where exactly is the savegame stored? since its a NAND safe based game, does that mean, that the save is stored in the rom file on the micro sc card inside the gateway? o.O or is it stored on the 3ds sd card?
just wanna know, if I can format the micro sd card and use another one with another rom file for it or do I have to back up the rom file from the old card first, so the save wont be lost?

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
got a question about pokemon x/y on gateway, where exactly is the savegame stored? since its a NAND safe based game, does that mean, that the save is stored in the rom file on the micro sc card inside the gateway? o.O or is it stored on the 3ds sd card?
just wanna know, if I can format the micro sd card and use another one with another rom file for it or do I have to back up the rom file from the old card first, so the save wont be lost?

The former.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The former.

that answer is confusing, since you dont specify, to which part of my questions you are responding
first question was, where is it stored? micro sd or sd --> former would mean micro sd and I would have to backup the rom
second question was, can I format it without backup or do I have to backup? --> former would mean I wouldnt have to back it up and could just use any other rom
hope you don't mind spelling out the answer in a way, that I cannot possibly misunderstand ^^
do I have to back up the rom from my micro sd card in order to preserve the savegame or can I just use any other rom file?

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry, a few more questions. I am getting ready to purchase a 3DS or XL (haven't decided yet). If I choose to buy it from someone off craigslist, I need to check the firmware on the 3DS itself to make sure it's 4.5 or below, correct? I assume if they are selling a game with it that recently came out, then the DS would have been updated to something past 4.5?

Furthermore, let's say I got a Gateway to play my games on. Can I still buy games from the eshop (Phoenix Wright), or am I locked out of that option?

Thanks!
Just because they're selling a game that requires a higher firmware doesn't mean they've used it on that particular 3ds that they're selling. Not gonna kill you if you just ask the seller what the firmware is.

And for now the eshop is not working since it requires a higher version save method. Gateway is currently working on a fix but it's unknown when it'll be released.

that answer is confusing, since you dont specify, to which part of my questions you are responding
first question was, where is it stored? micro sd or sd --> former would mean micro sd and I would have to backup the rom
second question was, can I format it without backup or do I have to backup? --> former would mean I wouldnt have to back it up and could just use any other rom
hope you don't mind spelling out the answer in a way, that I cannot possibly misunderstand ^^
do I have to back up the rom from my micro sd card in order to preserve the savegame or can I just use any other rom file?
You have to backup your rom file.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

That was for the first part.
That means you'll have to backup your ROM.

hojo1124

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still don't understand how saves and emunand work on Gateway.

I know for saves to "stay" you need to turn off the 3DS every now and then, because that's when Gateway backs them up, apparently. What I don't understand is where this saves are physically located. I read somewhere that they would just stay in the MicroSD with the same name as the ROM, like in the R4 days, but guess that was something else, because all I see in the micro are the ROMS. I heard normally on a regular non-hacked 3DS they get stored in the SD card, so I checked fine and sure enough I have a couple of SAV files but they're all scrambled and I feel some are missing. For example, I'm playing Project X Zone today (and no other game), I make a save, plug the SD card into my comp, and I see sav files but none of them have today's date, yet, my save still loads, so it must be going somewhere else. Can anyone clarify this? I'm mostly concerned about the location so I can properly backup in case of card corruption or something.

Another thing I don't get is the emunand. I saw a video tutorial that said I can install it by using the "Format emunand" option from 3DS, that's fine and dandy but if I choose that option it says it'll delete my SD card, so how does that work? I mean, Gateway's launcher is in the SD card, so do I need to take out my SD card at that point and insert a 2nd one specifically for that purpose? what about my save games? won't I loose those as well? And what do I do after installing emunand to update it? Just run regular internet update through the 3DS? how can I make sure this won't mess my system by updating the real firmware?

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I still don't understand how saves and emunand work on Gateway.

I know for saves to "stay" you need to turn off the 3DS every now and then, because that's when Gateway backs them up, apparently. What I don't understand is where this saves are physically located. I read somewhere that they would just stay in the MicroSD with the same name as the ROM, like in the R4 days, but guess that was something else, because all I see in the micro are the ROMS. I heard normally on a regular non-hacked 3DS they get stored in the SD card, so I checked fine and sure enough I have a couple of SAV files but they're all scrambled and I feel some are missing. For example, I'm playing Project X Zone today (and no other game), I make a save, plug the SD card into my comp, and I see sav files but none of them have today's date, yet, my save still loads, so it must be going somewhere else. Can anyone clarify this? I'm mostly concerned about the location so I can properly backup in case of card corruption or something.

Another thing I don't get is the emunand. I saw a video tutorial that said I can install it by using the "Format emunand" option from 3DS, that's fine and dandy but if I choose that option it says it'll delete my SD card, so how does that work? I mean, Gateway's launcher is in the SD card, so do I need to take out my SD card at that point and insert a 2nd one specifically for that purpose? what about my save games? won't I loose those as well? And what do I do after installing emunand to update it? Just run regular internet update through the 3DS? how can I make sure this won't mess my system by updating the real firmware?

GW have RTS now. Saves are written directly to the SD (or mSD for CARD2 games). On regular 3DS saves are stored on the cartridge itself. Dates don't change probably because the GW software didn't handle them properly.

The launcher is already in the RAM by then, so the file on the SD is not needed anymore. You'll lose everything on the SD card, so make sure to make a backup. To update it, go to system settings. If there's a GW after the fw number then you're in EmuNAND. Also, the 7.2 update breaks eShop and settings in EmuNAND.

Max8987

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Announcing that you are reporting people is against the rules, you have been reported.... also try to be nice to noobs you boob.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87...