• Likes 43

gazza1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys.

I am thoroughly confused.

I want a flash cart. One which will play games such as professor layton or Pokemon. I bought my 3ds today and it has v4.1.0 firmware.

I want to be able to play the games. I'm not interested in going online for anything (can I connect it to wifi or will this force an update in firmware??) I'd like to be able to extract a save game to edit it but not imperative.

I've seen comparison tables and some claiming this has this and some claiming it doesn't and it's just confused me.

Any recommendations? Anybody in the UK recommend anywhere to buy from?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hi guys.

I am thoroughly confused.

I want a flash cart. One which will play games such as professor layton or Pokemon. I bought my 3ds today and it has v4.1.0 firmware.

I want to be able to play the games. I'm not interested in going online for anything (can I connect it to wifi or will this force an update in firmware??) I'd like to be able to extract a save game to edit it but not imperative.

I've seen comparison tables and some claiming this has this and some claiming it doesn't and it's just confused me.

Any recommendations? Anybody in the UK recommend anywhere to buy from?
First of all 3dslink/r4i gold deluxe/orange 3ds, are all the same card, and are all pretty crap clones of gateway, they are pretty poor on support and can only play 1 game per SD card

the best card is gateway 3ds which has the best features and all other cards are simply clones of the gateway card

MT card isn't too bad of a clone, they are pretty quick at copying gateways work but they have still been unable to copy some features so far, and they are pretty much the same price as a gateway so i would recommend getting an original gateway card for the money

in terms of uk sellers the only official UK reseller of the gateway card is teensy.co.uk, i got mine from there and everything was quick and straight forward i received my card in 3 days and i have had no issues with it.......but lately there has been quite a few unhappy customers who said they didn't receive their card for a few weeks and have had trouble getting any response from them concerning their orders

Reactions: gazza1988

gazza1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First of all 3dslink/r4i gold deluxe/orange 3ds, are all the same card, and are all pretty crap clones of gateway, they are pretty poor on support and can only play 1 game per SD card

the best card is gateway 3ds which has the best features and all other cards are simply clones of the gateway card

MT card isn't too bad of a clone, they are pretty quick at copying gateways work but they have still been unable to copy some features so far, and they are pretty much the same price as a gateway so i would recommend getting an original gateway card for the money

in terms of uk sellers the only official UK reseller of the gateway card is teensy.co.uk, i got mine from there and everything was quick and straight forward i received my card in 3 days and i have had no issues with it.......but lately there has been quite a few unhappy customers who said they didn't receive their card for a few weeks and have had trouble getting any response from them concerning their orders

Thanks for that.

Would the cheaper one "do" for a month? I've got £20 left for the next fortnight (I'd rather not go into my food budget)

Which would you recommend as a temporary card?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i think all of them are more than £20,
3dslink etc are usually around 35-40
MT is around £50-£55
Gateway is £58

as i said if your looking to get one you might as well wait and get the real deal as you will struggle to resell the cheap one if you plan to upgrade

Reactions: gazza1988

gazza1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i think all of them are more than £20,
3dslink etc are usually around 35-40
MT is around £50-£55
Gateway is £58

as i said if your looking to get one you might as well wait and get the real deal as you will struggle to resell the cheap one if you plan to upgrade

Ok,

Thanks for the help. It is appreciated.

Sabregod

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What advantages does exFAT got over FAT32 aside from the >4GB File support? I mean I can rom split larger games anyway, I just noticed I face more problems like fragmentation error in eXfat...

Alessandro98

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello, is it possible to use red cart with 2.1 update in console with gateway 2.0?

No, your firmware console must be from 4.1 to 4.5, any other version isn't compatible with Gateway. However you can use some retail cartridges to update the firmware to those versions, google for the list of the games.

morgan012

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Soon I should be owner of 3DS with 4.5 fw and Gateway. What are general do's and don'ts to avoid doing something stupid like system update? Any settings to change after launching console to prevent it?
Not planning on playing online or using shop, is there any point in toying with emuNAND?

Dark Fulgore

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not a question, but I just want to thanks GBAtemp members for every information I gathered here while my Gateway didn't arrived.
Currently using RealNAND 4.4 and EmuNAND 4.4, everything is working perfectly.

Thank you GBAtemp!

Reactions: Carrie

Carrie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm really confused right now. What I wanted was to play Animal Crossing online with Gateway and a rom backup of a legitate game cart I have purchased.

I did everything according to the instruction on a gateway website:

- I used a retail cart and entered the gateway menu
- I created a backup of it using a gateway cart dumper
- the rom saved itself to a system sd card, I changed the extension to .3DZ and transferred it to GW micro sd card.

I also wanted to copy my save from retail cart so I tried to extract it using the gateway save backup tool but it returned an error. Oh well.

I tried running the rom and it worked, surprisingly the save was also there. I don't get it. Are the retail cart saves stored on an sd card or what?

Also, to my surprise when I used Gateway Red Card with my other 3DS, the Animal Crossing rom was gone. Why? Is .3DZ rom dump tied to a console?

The online itself seemed to work when using the rom. I really don't understand the difference though, what would be the best and safest way to play this game online?

1. sysnand; use retail cart
2. emunand; rom
3. gateway classic mode; retail cart?

I'd like to avoid accidental updates and stuff.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm really confused right now. What I wanted was to play Animal Crossing online with Gateway and a rom backup of a legitate game cart I have purchased.

I did everything according to the instruction on a gateway website:

- I used a retail cart and entered the gateway menu
- I created a backup of it using a gateway cart dumper
- the rom saved itself to a system sd card, I changed the extension to .3DZ and transferred it to GW micro sd card.

I also wanted to copy my save from retail cart so I tried to extract it using the gateway save backup tool but it returned an error. Oh well.

I tried running the rom and it worked, surprisingly the save was also there. I don't get it. Are the retail cart saves stored on an sd card or what?

Also, to my surprise when I used Gateway Red Card with my other 3DS, the Animal Crossing rom was gone. Why? Is .3DZ rom dump tied to a console?

The online itself seemed to work when using the rom. I really don't understand the difference though, what would be the best and safest way to play this game online?

1. sysnand; use retail cart
2. emunand; rom
3. gateway classic mode; retail cart?

I'd like to avoid accidental updates and stuff.
animal crossing and pokemon are card 2/nand saving games.....meaning the save is stored on the same chip as the rom(most other games are card 1 and the save is stored on a seperate chip inside the cart which is what the save dump tool dumps)....so when you dump the game the save is dumped along side it, safest would obviously be running on system nand with retail cart, then probably retail cart in classic mode and finally gateway mode in .3dz format, but really its upto you there is nothing so far about people getting banned or anything so nobody can really say whats the safest steps as its possible just simply using the gateway card with roms would be detectable by nintendo even if you dont play online............but again there is nothing so far to show nintendo is going to ban anyone, just stick to what you feel comfortable doing

Reactions: Carrie

Carrie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
animal crossing and pokemon are card 2/nand saving games.....meaning the save is stored on the same chip as the rom(most other games are card 1 and the save is stored on a seperate chip inside the cart which is what the save dump tool dumps)....so when you dump the game the save is dumped along side it, safest would obviously be running on system nand with retail cart, then probably retail cart in classic mode and finally gateway mode in .3dz format, but really its upto you there is nothing so far about people getting banned or anything so nobody can really say whats the safest steps as its possible just simply using the gateway card with roms would be detectable by nintendo even if you dont play online............but again there is nothing so far to show nintendo is going to ban anyone, just stick to what you feel comfortable doing

Thank you for your reply. Rather than speculated console bans, I'm more worried about things like unwanted updates. This is why I thought using a rom would be safer since the firmware is spoofed -> no update necessary.

Do you have any idea why the .3dz rom would no longer be seen/recognized on a different console? Both consoles have the same firmware, same region. One is 3DS and the other is XL but I doubt it makes any difference.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thank you for your reply. Rather than speculated console bans, I'm more worried about things like unwanted updates. This is why I thought using a rom would be safer since the firmware is spoofed -> no update necessary.

Do you have any idea why the .3dz rom would no longer be seen/recognized on a different console? Both consoles have the same firmware, same region. One is 3DS and the other is XL but I doubt it makes any difference.
well best trade off would be retail cart in classic mode.....if your not bothered about any "possible" bans, .3DZ would be fine and works fine between consoles

decees

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
hello
if I have gateway with 2.2 and emuNAND 7.2.0-17, there is no way to add another access point to connect to internet ?
there will be always only one option - use AP which was created while first emuNAND upgrading ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (and the joke here is that i misheard pride month as bread month)