• Likes 43

BenCf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for replying

another question, gateway has only two one? two flash card compare to r4i, they have like 5 or 6, which one should i get they look all the same. i cannot find any

different except some card can play 3ds game/ dsi game maybe there are more but i dont know.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
R4i has only one card for 3DS.
All the others are for DS.

In order to play 3DS Roms, you need to patch something in DS mode.
So you need two cards : a DS one (to patch the 3DS), and a 3DS one (to play 3DS ROMs).
All 3DS cards are bundled with a DS card automatically, you don't choose which one you get.

The only choice you do is selecting the manufacturer, and here there are only 3 choices to make:
- Gateway
- R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe
- 3DS Link

knowing that Gateway is the original product, the "gold deluxe" is a clone/copy of gateway, and 3DS Link is a different name for "Gold deluxe" card. so .. there are in fact only 2 different product.

BenCf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4i has only one card for 3DS.
All the others are for DS.

In order to play 3DS Roms, you need to patch something in DS mode.
So you need two cards : a DS one (to patch the 3DS), and a 3DS one (to play 3DS ROMs).
All 3DS cards are bundled with a DS card automatically, you don't choose which one you get.

The only choice you do is selecting the manufacturer, and here there are only 3 choices to make:
- Gateway
- R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe
- 3DS Link

knowing that Gateway is the original product, the "gold deluxe" is a clone/copy of gateway, and 3DS Link is a different name for "Gold deluxe" card. so .. there are in fact only 2 different product.

so r4i gold deluxe is the only r4 flash card can play 3ds rom correct?

if i have a 3ds firmware higher than 4.5, the all of the 3ds rom flash card will not work right?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
so r4i gold deluxe is the only r4 flash card can play 3ds rom correct?

if i have a 3ds firmware higher than 4.5, the all of the 3ds rom flash card will not work right?
R4 is just a stupid name. It's not even a good name since there is much R4 garbage out there. But yes, the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe is currently the only flashcard that plays 3DS roms and has "R4" in the name.

Concerning your second question: right.

temp1312

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are three limits:
For CARD1 with the save chipset, it's either 128kB or 512kB. 3dbrew says it's a FLASH Chip. (EEPROM?)
For CARD2, it's using the same chipset to store both Game Data and savegame. The limit is the free space available after the game up to the end of the NAND chipset size.

You can see some Cards and chipset pictures here :
http://gbatemp.net/threads/wth-slc-nand-nand-saving-ap.356852/

Thanks Cyan & Duo8. fully understood now.
Hope GW could figure out a way for Card2 and there won't be a new card type using over 512KB save chip.

shakoor_h

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I was under the impression that you only needed to go into emuNAND mode to play certain games? Is this not the case. I haven't updated the emuNAND (it's on 4.3), but I have to boot into R4I Gold mode in order to play any of the games (Zelda, Mario 3D Land). Is this normal? Also I get an FPGA test fail on diagnostics.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I was under the impression that you only needed to go into emuNAND mode to play certain games? Is this not the case. I haven't updated the emuNAND (it's on 4.3), but I have to boot into R4I Gold mode in order to play any of the games (Zelda, Mario 3D Land). Is this normal? Also I get an FPGA test fail on diagnostics.

Fail is expected cuz it's not designed to work w/ R4i.
You have to go to R4i mode to use the flashcard.

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys,

I still wait for my Gateway Card, so is there anything I can do with my 3DS yet? (I read some Profile Exploit?)

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hey guys,

I still wait for my Gateway Card, so is there anything I can do with my 3DS yet? (I read some Profile Exploit?)

Not much.
The exploit is used by FCs to run custom code. But you'll have to build everything yourself if you want homebrew.

wtf dinosaurs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm thinking about getting a 3ds flashcart, but I'm not sure if they'll be a waste of money given my situation. From what I gather, in order for one to work on a 3ds, the firmware installed on the system has to be 4.5 or lower. Mine's on 6.3.0-12U I believe, so if that's the case, is there anything I can do to go back a few versions or am I fucked? In the event there's something I can do about it, which cart is the best for playing the likes of Animal Crossing and Pokemon?

Thanks.

ginryu

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey, I'm thinking about getting a 3ds flashcart, but I'm not sure if they'll be a waste of money given my situation. From what I gather, in order for one to work on a 3ds, the firmware installed on the system has to be 4.5 or lower. Mine's on 6.3.0-12U I believe, so if that's the case, is there anything I can do to go back a few versions or am I fucked? In the event there's something I can do about it, which cart is the best for playing the likes of Animal Crossing and Pokemon?

Thanks.

The only thing you can do is to get a 4.1 to 4.5 3ds, there's no way to downgrade your firmware unless you have a NAND backup from your own 3ds. Regarding your second question the best card to get is the GW cause it's the only team that works on improvements for their card.

RickyEarl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FAT32 is NOT working.
Do not copy the .3ds file to the SD card using your explorer. Drag/drop or Copy/paste is not supported yet.

You need to "flash" the data to the card in raw format (the card will become unreadable on Windows).
Use Win32DiskImager to write the .3ds to the card.

Yeah, I was using win32diskimager after I formatted. But I finally figured it out, although it took me 3 days. Basically, even though w32diskimager asks for permission, it didn't work until I ran it in Admin mode on my PC. May be a Win8.1 thing. Who knows? In any case, it's up and running.

3dstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morning All,

So I have read as many threads as possbile in anticipation of my Gateway arriving (and also not to p anyone off with daft questions) and was hoping some soul has 5 minutes to validate some points of my understading please?

1) The emunand that the gateway creates, is created on the (full size) SD card that otherwise is used by the 3DS. The micro SD card in the red unit purely has the rom image, and the micro sd card in the blue unit pure has the DS mode executables to establish the xploit on the unit

2) Once the exploit is in place it is possible to create a backup of the current system nand, this is written to the (full size) SD card and can be copied to the PC

3) Once the exploit is in place it is possible to create the emunand on the SD Card from the current system rom (before upgrading it). And there is a tool on the boards that allows the NAND to be extracted from the emunand

4) It is possble to solder some wires to the motherboard, and using a modified SD Card, dump the system NAND. Equally using this "hardware rig" it is possible to write any nand backup back to the unit. So in theory backup 4.5, upgrade system nand to 6.3, and then able to restore to 4.3 (ONLY USING BACKUPS create on this specific unit)

5) There is currently no software method of restoring a nand backup (ie without soldering the hardware rig)

Now for a couple of quesitons, Given I am terrified of upgrading my system nand by mistake

Assuming I have 4.5 backups (differrent types), and I have upgraded my system nand to e.g 7.0 by mistake, Is it possible

a) To create the hardware rig, and use the backup created by the gateway nand backup to restore the unit to 4.5. OR can only the nand backup read by the hardware rig be used to restore it

b) To create the hardware rig, and use the backup created by the tool that extracted the NAND from the emunand to restore the unit to 4.5. OR can only the nand backup read by the hardware rig be used to restore it

Reallly appreciate any advice - THANKS!

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Morning All,

So I have read as many threads as possbile in anticipation of my Gateway arriving (and also not to p anyone off with daft questions) and was hoping some soul has 5 minutes to validate some points of my understading please?

1) The emunand that the gateway creates, is created on the (full size) SD card that otherwise is used by the 3DS. The micro SD card in the red unit purely has the rom image, and the micro sd card in the blue unit pure has the DS mode executables to establish the xploit on the unit Yes

2) Once the exploit is in place it is possible to create a backup of the current system nand, this is written to the (full size) SD card and can be copied to the PC

3) Once the exploit is in place it is possible to create the emunand on the SD Card from the current system rom (before upgrading it). And there is a tool on the boards that allows the NAND to be extracted from the emunand

4) It is possble to solder some wires to the motherboard, and using a modified SD Card, dump the system NAND. Equally using this "hardware rig" it is possible to write any nand backup back to the unit. So in theory backup 4.5, upgrade system nand to 6.3, and then able to restore to 4.3 (ONLY USING BACKUPS create on this specific unit)

5) There is currently no software method of restoring a nand backup (ie without soldering the hardware rig)

Now for a couple of quesitons, Given I am terrified of upgrading my system nand by mistake

Assuming I have 4.5 backups (differrent types), and I have upgraded my system nand to e.g 7.0 by mistake, Is it possible

a) To create the hardware rig, and use the backup created by the gateway nand backup to restore the unit to 4.5. OR can only the nand backup read by the hardware rig be used to restore it
You can use GW NAND file

b) To create the hardware rig, and use the backup created by the tool that extracted the NAND from the emunand to restore the unit to 4.5. OR can only the nand backup read by the hardware rig be used to restore it
Same as above.

All 1-5 are correct.

Reactions: 3dstar

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Morning All,

1) The emunand that the gateway creates, is created on the (full size) SD card that otherwise is used by the 3DS. The micro SD card in the red unit purely has the rom image, and the micro sd card in the blue unit pure has the DS mode executables to establish the xploit on the unit

a) All NAND backups are cross compatible. So, yes to the former.
b) All NAND backups are cross compatible. So, yes to the former.

Reactions: 3dstar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...