3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cyan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. hallo23

hallo23 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Germany
    Hey,

I just wanted to start to hack my 3DS but the guide on 3DS.guide.hacks says that it will overwrite my savegames.
    So is there anyway to copy my savegames?

Or is that not possible without HL?
    I have a NEW 3DS with 11.9.0-42E

Or do they only mean the save game of "Steel Diver: Sub Wars"?

2. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The backup reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    The guide says:
    not "your games' save files"
    Your second assumption is true: You only overwrite the file of "Steel Diver: Sub Wars". If you have a real save for that game you want to keep, use the normal backup function of the Home Menu. The game does not use the anti-cheat/anti-save-restore functions like e.g. Pokemon. To start the HB-laucher with Subwars you need to prepare its save with the exploit. Why should you overwrite saves of other games?

But making backups of saves is an important topic. After installing the cfw, you should backup your saves from time to time with JKSM and/or Checkpoint.

hallo23 likes this.
  3. ISO-Man

ISO-Man GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    United States
    Old 3ds with failed red nand. I goofed on the process of copying system nand to pc and ended up bricking 3ds. It will boot as normal right now, just when I click on anything... nothing happens. I was wondering if I should try to use the fresh mod instructions or if I should follow the instructions for the red nand. I have nothing to lose.. that is the nice thing about this :)

TIA!

4. VascoVonDoom

VascoVonDoom Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2017
    Indonesia
    Can someone help me or explain this problem
    Dillon's Dead heat breaker every text replaced with $$TEXT EMPTY$$ the game is europe my N3DS CFW 11.9 USA

Attached Files:

5. Kayne the Slayer

Kayne the Slayer Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2008
    United States
    So my best friend gave me a 3DS for Christmas. It's the old one at version 11.2.0-35U, so I think I know which one to use for Homebrew/CFW (The Homebrew Launcher (Soundhax) one I believe).

I guess a few questions I have.

1: There's no issues with going to/using the E-Shop/Streetpass/Internet correct? Same play with playing games online with friends?

2: Should I wait to get a new SD before installing CFW? This one is only 2gb and I'm thinking of getting either a 16gb or 32gb SD card.

3: Should I hold off on doing system updates after installing CFW? Previous experiences with Wii hacking(So around 10 years ago for me) are telling me not to update if I can avoid.

Edit 4: Would I need to get a Flashcart for playing DS games? I think I remember reading something about that before.

Think that's all I got at the moment.

Last edited by Kayne the Slayer, Dec 25, 2018
  6. KleinesSinchen

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    1. No problems. Do not cheat online and do not play (leaked) games before official release.
    2. Do as you like. 2GB is enough for installing CFW. Once you have the new card, it's copy and paste.
    3. 11.2.0-35U is wonderful and super easy! Follow the "Homebrew Launcher (Soundhax)" path on https://3ds.hacks.guide/. It's easier than updating first and using "Frogminer". Once CFW is installed, update to 11.9 as normal via "System Settings". The custom firmware protects itself from being overwritten (ignore Nintendo's threatening text before the update). If there is another update in the future, wait some days before installing it and watch the GBAtemp forum. The forum will be full of messages if there are any problems with an update.
    4. TWILight Menu++ has become really good in starting DS-ROMs without a flashcart. Most games work, But newer ROMs with anti-piracy-"features" have to be patched before using them.

7. Bloodspiller34

Bloodspiller34 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2018
    United States
    Hey guys I just got a stock new 2ds xl and I have a new 3ds xl with cfw and a bunch of apps and games. I wanna hack my 2ds so I can do the system transfer and then just install all the games again if necessary but I'm having problems with my NNID since I need one to download Steel Diver for the 2ds hack but I can't unlink the one I have on the 3ds xl. Help please. This is driving me nuts...

8. Kayne the Slayer

Kayne the Slayer Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2008
    United States

Thanks. I went into it and did it with no issues. Got a 32gb SD card on the way. Still need to add Twilight though.

9. SpicyMemes96

SpicyMemes96 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2018
    United States
    The Grand Exchange
    My Luma 3DS XL's cfw splash screen shows up on boot, but when the thing loads all I get is the default theme. Everything I installed on the 3DS appears to be gone too, even in Settings. I restored my NAND backup and nothing happened. Can anyone help?

10. KleinesSinchen

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    The splash screen is loaded by Luma from
    SD:/Luma/splash.bin - and -
    SD:/Luma/splashbottom.bin
    before booting the Home Menu. It has nothing to do with anything inside the Home Menu (themes and installed games).

Some questions:
    • What happened? Why did you restore the NAND?
    • When did you create the NAND-image? Restoring the NAND also restores the installed titles to the state when the image was build. If you created that image before installing any games, your installed games are not accessible anymore.
    • Did you backup your saves with JKSM and/or Checkpoint?

11. snow01

snow01 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2017
    Zimbabwe
    Earth
    Hi everyone! I could use some help with the B9S guide. I'm currently stuck on Section IV - Flashing FIRM. When I launch Steeldiver Sub Wars it says "An error has ocurred, forcing the software to close." Any clues on how to fix this? (I have not ran the update on Steeldiver.)
    Is it safe to jump back and redo Section III? Or what is the best thing to do?

12. KleinesSinchen

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    Check if you have the correct (region, firmware version, old/new) otherapp payload renamed as payload.bin
    sd:/steelhax/payload.bin
    From the Steelminer guide:
    Steelminer_Troubleshooting.

13. snow01

snow01 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2017
    Zimbabwe
    Earth
    I missed the renaming part. Thanks a lot!

14. SpicyMemes96

SpicyMemes96 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2018
    United States
    The Grand Exchange
    I thought restoring the NAND would revert the 3DS to before the time this problem occurred. The NAND-image was created approximately a week before the problem happened. I forgot to back up my saves with Checkpoint.

If it helps, I did, however, accidentally delete the Nintendo 3DS folder within the SD card, but I replaced it with a backup from my desktop.

15. NFates

NFates Wants to understand™

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably home.
    Apparently, that backup did not have the games / apps installed already.

16. SpicyMemes96

SpicyMemes96 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2018
    United States
    The Grand Exchange
    No, the 3DS folder was created a week before this happened, and had all my apps and whatnot. I don't really understand why this happened.

17. VenomSNK

VenomSNK Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2018
    Poland
    Another quick question. Can I install cia from different region than my console? Let's say that I have Europe as default region and install undub version of SMT4 from USA. Everything will work just fine or no?

18. NFates

NFates Wants to understand™

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably home.
    Both the NAND backup and the "Nintendo 3DS" folder backup were made a week ago? In that case, your current apps and their state should be from a week ago.

Luma makes your console region-free, so yes.

VenomSNK likes this.
  19. BrentNL

BrentNL Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hey, i downloaded some 3DS cia files. but my nintendo gave some software update, can i download m through out the store ?

20. SpicyMemes96

SpicyMemes96 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2018
    United States
    The Grand Exchange
    My apologies-I r

Could Checkpoint have anything to do with this? I checked the saves and they're all from August