• Start date
  • Views 4,486,483
  • Replies 53,787
  • Likes 43

YamiWheeler

Trophies
XP
Country
Does the Gateway 3DS store backup saves somewhere?

I accidentally nudged my 3DS and SOMEHOW the fucking Gateway 3DS popped out of the card slot. When I turned it back on, 4 WHOLE HOURS of Bravely Default save data was gone. It went back to an old save. I don't understand why the fuck the Gateway 3DS would not write the save within those 4 hours, especially since I saved the game numerous times.

Needless to say, I'm very pissed off. Such a basic (and important) fucking feature and it got it wrong.

Anyway, rant over. Is there any place the Gateway may have stored my lost save, and is just loading an older version for some reason?

EDIT: Also, how do you force Gateway to save the game? I want to know so that this doesn't happen again.

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
How long ago was this?
I ordered it last Wednesday. It's coming from southern California, so it shouldn't have taken this long, but it was Labor Day weekend, which screwed it over.

Does the Gateway 3DS store backup saves somewhere?
Anyway, rant over. Is there any place the Gateway may have stored my lost save, and is just loading an older version for some reason?

EDIT: Also, how do you force Gateway to save the game? I want to know so that this doesn't happen again.

Damn, that blows. As far as I know, the save files go on your system SD card. At least, that's what I've read. But I don't like the sound of this issue you had.

YamiWheeler

Trophies
XP
Country
Damn, that blows. As far as I know, the save files go on your system SD card. At least, that's what I've read. But I don't like the sound of this issue you had.

I could be wrong, but as far as I can see, it seems to only write it to the SD card when you exit the system.

That's the only logical explanation I can find as to why I lost all that data, cause I saved numerous times in-game, but I never exited out of Gateway mode through the natural means.

GuyInDogSuit

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I could be wrong, but as far as I can see, it seems to only write it to the SD card when you exit the system.

That's the only logical explanation I can find as to why I lost all that data, cause I saved numerous times in-game, but I never exited out of Gateway mode through the natural means.

From what I've read, yeah, it seems it only writes the save data once you exit Gateway mode.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

From what I've read, yeah, it seems it only writes the save data once you exit Gateway mode.
it will save upon exiting the game, if you want to avoid issues like this in future, all you need to do is home and exit to the home screen, then restart the game every now and then and the save will be updated

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
it will save upon exiting the game, if you want to avoid issues like this in future, all you need to do is home and exit to the home screen, then restart the game every now and then and the save will be updated

Hmmm, strange, I always remember saves being nearly instantaneous on carts like the SC DSTwo. Then again, GW is in the early stages, sort of. There's still a lot of features they plan to incorporate, and instant save writes could be one of them. I'm hoping they can get save states working soon. And AR codes. The two things I loved about DS flash carts.

Is my Friendcode bound to the 3DS console, or is it eShop account-bound? When I transfer everything to my new 3DS's emuNAND, will it include my friends or not?

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmmm, strange, I always remember saves being nearly instantaneous on carts like the SC DSTwo. Then again, GW is in the early stages, sort of. There's still a lot of features they plan to incorporate, and instant save writes could be one of them. I'm hoping they can get save states working soon. And AR codes. The two things I loved about DS flash carts.

Is my Friendcode bound to the 3DS console, or is it eShop account-bound? When I transfer everything to my new 3DS's emuNAND, will it include my friends or not?
FYI, Tomodachi life saves directly to the sd card without need to exit the game. I know cause gateway 2.3b kept crashing on me :/
Also, the FC transfers with system transfer. Not sure about the friends though, but I suspect it does transfer as well.

GuyInDogSuit

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
FYI, Tomodachi life saves directly to the sd card without need to exit the game. I know cause gateway 2.3b kept crashing on me :/
Also, the FC transfers with system transfer. Not sure about the friends though, but I suspect it does transfer as well.

Guess it depends on the ROM then. They all have different save types and sizes, so that seems to make a difference. But in future, I'm gonna exit via the Home key now and then just to be safe.
Good to know about the FC. It would make sense that the friends do transfer, but even if they don't, no big deal, I only have a few to re-add anyway.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Guess it depends on the ROM then. They all have different save types and sizes, so that seems to make a difference. But in future, I'm gonna exit via the Home key now and then just to be safe.
Good to know about the FC. It would make sense that the friends do transfer, but even if they don't, no big deal, I only have a few to re-add anyway.
well its card2 games vs card1 , so games like Pokemon, animal crossing,tomodachi life, and most of the virtual console dumps and some of the eshop roms save in real time inside the actual .3ds file on the gateway card

everything else is card1 and is saved to a .sav file on the SD card

GuyInDogSuit

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I looked at the quick start guide and it looks like you only need the blue card if you have to run the exploit again (if you've played in DS mode or changed settings), and you "activate" GW mode by loading your DS profile from settings? What the hell? What about emuNAND? How do you load that?

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I looked at the quick start guide and it looks like you only need the blue card if you have to run the exploit again (if you've played in DS mode or changed settings), and you "activate" GW mode by loading your DS profile from settings? What the hell? What about emuNAND? How do you load that?
You load into Gateway mode if you don't have emunand installed. Otherwise you load into emunand.

Yam0048

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully it's okay to ask this...

I've noticed 3S rom file names tend to have some seemingly random word tacked onto the end, like ABSTRAKT or CONTRAST and so on. What are these supposed to mean? I vaguely remember finding a post saying they indicated the ROM's region (JP, EU, etc) but I can't find anything like it now.

MightyMax

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thank god you people made this thread for noobs like me :bow:
So a friend of mine bought the gateway and is happy with it, he uses it on FW 4.5
From what I remember the Gateway team recently got it working on 8.x as well which is nice for me because I have a 3ds with this FW.
Now I'm wondering if I can play games that are about to come out like the smash bros online since games often need to update the console before it allows me to play online. So I'm asking can I play games online on my gateway without any problems? Or do I need to wait until the gateway fixes issues with upcoming fws?

scoobydoo1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this has been asked many many times before, and it seems to be a no, but I'm just not sure if it's not possible or if I'm doing something wrong.

Is it possible to dump my own retail Pokemon Y cartridge with the save game on the Gateway and continue the game? I renamed the file to .3dz, but I'm getting the corrupt save message. I deleted the saved game from my dumped ROM, started a new game, and restored the save from my retail ROM extracted with the Card2 save tool. Still no go.

My emunand is running the latest 8.1.0.19. I even went into the eShop and updated Pokemon Y to 1.2.

Many thanks.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Hopefully it's okay to ask this...

I've noticed 3S rom file names tend to have some seemingly random word tacked onto the end, like ABSTRAKT or CONTRAST and so on. What are these supposed to mean? I vaguely remember finding a post saying they indicated the ROM's region (JP, EU, etc) but I can't find anything like it now.

that is basically just the group's name who put the game on the internet, it doesn't really mean anything, they just want a little tiny bit of credit :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really...