OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mellow.gif

QUOTE said:
Next month, Nintendo is showing off the Nintendo 3DS to the general public in Japan for the first time. It could possibly make you sick. Oh, and don't plan on bringing young kids for 3D fun.

Nintendo has a couple warnings regarding the Nintendo 3DS. These are general safety warnings for 3D, but here, Nintendo 3DS specific.

Up until now, Nintendo recommended a break after an hour of play. But that was 2D, and as Nintendo notes, 3D causes quicker eye fatigue and some 3D software causes eyes to become more tired faster than other software.

But in the case in which players are able to enjoy 3DS games problem free, Nintendo recommends taking a break after 30 minutes of play.

"If your physical condition worsens or you become ill, please stop playing at once," states Nintendo.

SuperStock_1570R-127371.jpg

QUOTEThe company notes that 3D has different effects on different people. The inclusion of the 3D slider, which allows players to tweak the 3D effect helps ensure that a wider range of players can enjoy the 3DS.

However, children under six years old will be included in that range. Nintendo points out that the vision of young children is still in developmental stages, which is why it recommended that they do not use the 3DS's 3D effects as well as watch 3D movies and 3D television.

Viewing 3D at a young age could have effects later in life.

According to Nintendo, "Since the Nintendo 3DS can be changed to 2D to avoid any effects on young children's vision, it is possible for anyone to enjoy playing it." But not of course 3D.

Nintendo is going as far as to include 3D parental controls for the Nintendo 3DS.

And yet kids can go to the cinema and watch 90+ minute 3D films without breaks...the fuck? Are Nintendo just covering their backs with this one?

Source
Original Source

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Gaydrian said:
Are Nintendo just covering their backs with this one?
Yes. Just look at the health and safety screens on their current consoles. They're covering all the angles. "Take a break every 15 minutes", "may induce nausea, disorientation and seisures", "children should only play under adult supervision", "play in a well lit, well aerated room", etc. etc.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
I think it has something to do with the 3DS tech that creates the '3D without glasses' effect. The way it manipulates your eyes may have something to do with the quicker tension and faster need for a break.

If anything, I'll probably just turn off the 3D effect.

Gaiaknight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sounds pretty legit to me nintendo did something similar with the wii also telling you to take breaks every hour. There is also some people that cant handle 3D plus we have to remember this is new tech all the kids that go see 3D movies are also wearing the glasses this has no glasses.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
i've spoken to a few testers out on the west coast (in person) who had hands-on with the 3ds. they all talked about headaches, eye ache, and the like from 30-2hrs of gaming time in 3d. these people were young adults age 22-29. i really love 3d stuff but i won't grab one of these systems until its been out for about a year. i want to see how the public does with it and i'd like to wait for some games to come down in price (or sell cheaper on ebay).

-another world

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Joktan said:
Wow that stinks for people,I mean playing xbox for 6 hours in a row does nothing to me...hahaha

You'd be surprised at how many brain cells it's killed.

Well, if you still had enough to comprehend numbers.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This remind me of another system they made once before, what was it?
virtualboy.jpg
At least unlike that piece of crap up there, this one has the option to turn the 3D off.

Joktan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
Joktan said:
Wow that stinks for people,I mean playing xbox for 6 hours in a row does nothing to me...hahaha

You'd be surprised at how many brain cells it's killed.

Well, if you still had enough to comprehend numbers.
Wow talk about hitting me low...and the only time I play 6 hours in a row is on Friday night,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
ShadowSoldier said:
Is anybody surprised? Really? I mean.. Come on.. 3D. It should be common sense that it's going to fuck your eyes more than usual.
Yeah. It's unnatural.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just to forthcome suing etc. I never take that break NEVER did before too. I play sometimes 24 non-stop(when my parents are not at home and I am alone for a whole day. Some people have faster issues then other people. I lived my WHOLE live with Nintendo´s, I played to much. I am addicted to my games, gimmeh games or Ill kill you NOW!

And @ineap09, Just try it 3 times. If you get tired, then your marathon is lost, BUT NO give up yet! We have 2d MODE!

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I guess they're covering all angles.. If you wanna play long you should turn 3D off at the start of the session.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't take this comment as a fanboyish one, or one that's trying to glance over the obvious issue of 3D causing eye strain, but i'm really not considering the 3DS due to the 3D effect at all. I'd say that effect is actually very low on my list of reasons to want it.

No, i'm considering the system due to the game lineup. Analog control will be great too. The pretty graphics are a nice touch as well. But i'm sure that if my eyes started hurting at all, i'd disable the 3D without hesitation. It might be the major selling point for the system, but it's not why i'm interested. Heck, i might just play the thing with the 3D effect turned off most of the time (depending on how well it works for me).

So i can't say this "news" really bugs me personally. I mean it's obvious that this will be a blow for some people, but considering i was never THAT interested in the effect itself, it won't affect whether i purchase the system.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
(3:06:41 PM) Slacker: at the worst, you might be temporarily nerfing your depth perception, which does bear some caution
(3:07:08 PM) Slacker: (don't watch a 10hr 3d movie marathon, and then immediatly try to drive a race car)
(3:07:17 PM) rydianmorrison: Or have sex.
(3:29:31 PM) Slacker: 3d TV: The new excuse for finding the wrong hole.
(3:30:04 PM) Slacker: and Nintendo isn't actually worried about the kids, they just wanted an excuse to forbid whiny 6yr olds from standing in line

iSneeze

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaydrian said:
And yet kids can go to the cinema and watch 90+ minute 3D films without breaks...the fuck? Are Nintendo just covering their backs with this one?

Source
Original Source

The 3D viewed in the cinemas isn't stereoscopic or parralax (used in 3DTVs and 3DS respectively). It's far less eye tiring and easy to view, the difference is that the one in the cinemas uses 2 different projectors projecting at different polarizations and polarized lenses in the glasses to view each image specifically to one eye. Parralax and stereoscopic have more of an unnatural or dynamic way to produce the 3D image therefore tiring the eye.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: